PDA

View Full Version : Question about realtime rendering

Jickien
05-04-2008, 03:12 PM
hi!i want to build a next-gen game model in xsi.

in maya ,there have a feature called "high quality rendering",which can display all the textures'(including:normalMap,colorMap,spcMap,etc.) effects in realtime view.
so,how can i achieve these in XSI?

i've already read a few part of the help doc about "realtime shader",and tried some test,but failed.

please help me,i'm waiting online,Thanks!

dwigfor
05-04-2008, 07:09 PM
Ultimapper is what you want.

http://www.softimage.com/products/xsi/videos.aspx?video_id=8

Jickien
05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
dwigfor :

thanks for your post!
i've read the help doc about Ultimapper,but i think it's transfer high levels of surface detail onto a low-polygon,like maya's baking,both are to creat a texture.
but i still can not figure out how to display all the textuers in realtime.
should i use a realtime shader?could you tell me some more details?thanks very much!:)

Hirazi
05-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Do you mean displaying your textures in your viewport?
If you do: set the display type to "textured" or "textured decal"
in the "Display Type Menu" at the top right corner of your viewport...

Maph
05-05-2008, 02:02 PM
Do you mean displaying your textures in your viewport?
If you do: set the display type to "textured" or "textured decal"
in the "Display Type Menu" at the top right corner of your viewport...

He/she probably means displaying normal-, specular-, etc... maps realtime. Like they would look in a realtime game engine. That's a bit different than a simple textured openGL driven display. ;)

@JecN: when using ultimapper, try pressing the preview material button in the last tab (make sure you select DirectX or OpenGL, whichever you prefer) and check the render tree for your low res object.
You'll see that XSI generated an entire realtime network that can give you an idea on how it's done. You should also notice that your display mode has changed to dx9 or dx10 (depending on your hardware/OS) or OpenGL when doing this.
Check out the network and I suggest looking into vertex and fragment shaders, and HLSL in general. Most of the time you'll be forced to write your own vertex/frag shaders when doing realtime in XSI, could be wrong here though.
Most of the time I just use a different engine/app for that. :)

Jickien
05-08-2008, 09:52 AM
thanks a lot! the model can be displayed in the realtime view successfully with its normalMap,diffuseMap!
i think XSI is a very handy software,but it's not so handy in realtime display as it is in maya:
in maya,there have just one button which is called "high quality rendering" ,and if you add a light to the sence,the lighting effect can be displayed in realtime also.
in xsi, i found there have no effect to the model even i add a light in OpenGL.

thanks to everybody!;)

Aragami
05-08-2008, 10:48 AM
To cast shadows add a light and in the light general properties ,enable shadows;
Then in the viewport of your choice open "display options.." ,scroll down to "Realtime shaders - openGL" and check Realtime Shadows.
That should work for the shadows.

tc
05-09-2008, 01:14 AM
thanks a lot! the model can be displayed in the realtime view successfully with its normalMap,diffuseMap!
i think XSI is a very handy software,but it's not so handy in realtime display as it is in maya:
in maya,there have just one button which is called "high quality rendering" ,and if you add a light to the sence,the lighting effect can be displayed in realtime also.
in xsi, i found there have no effect to the model even i add a light in OpenGL.

thanks to everybody!;)

there's no "one click" solution for realtime shaders in XSI like in Maya.
That said, you can do a bunch of stuff in XSI out of the box using the built in Realtime Shaders and Realtime shaders SDK.
You can code your own FX shader or use FX composer to create your FX shaders, and than load in XSI. Or you can code your own CGFX, .FX or HLSL program if you want.
Using either directX or OpenGL.

As you said you wanna do game development, so it's very likely that you will want to make your own realtime shaders, and that's where XSI will shiny with the nodal shader tree that will allow you mix realtime maps, Vertex shaders, framents and such...

With Rendermap and Ultimapper you'll be able to bake down all your maps and build a realtime shader out of it with a "one click" realtime preview shader, and then tweak from that.

This workflow is ideal for pipelines, maybe not so ideal for a single guy wanting to press a single button. To see it's maps.
But if you can do Jscript, VBscript or Python, it's really easy to make a button that load a realtime preset and connect maps for you (I guess this is basically what the "high quality rendering" do in maya, it generates a realtime shader with your maps).

You can find a bunch of examples of realtime reflection maps/ bumpmaps and etc... in the netview.

Start looking what it's already there, then go and modify to make it work for you needs.
Download .fx shaders and load in XSI as an FX program is also a good thing to do.

But no, there's not a single button to click and see everything pretty.
though you can request that to Softimage :) http://www.softimage.com/support/xsi/requestForm/Default.aspx

CGTalk Moderation
05-09-2008, 01:14 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.