PDA

View Full Version : New HD Dark Knight Trailer

urban-rebellion
05-04-2008, 09:36 AM
The new trailer (bootlegged earlier this week) is now out in full HD. Wondering how all of thats going to end up in a film....

Also theres an interesting little clip in there forshadowing two-face which I've screenshot and put below the link. :D

I read that the scarring as two face is going to be a lot deeper than the comics, and my wild guess is its going to be to the bone...he's going to have half normal face and half skull with bits of burnt flesh hanging off.

The new trailer is HERE (http://www.whysoserious.com/happytrails/trailer.htm)

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/116/harveydentyq5.jpg

CGmonkey
05-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Why do superhero movie sequels exponentially add villians to the plot? I would be happy with only the joker as a villain.

ThomasMahler
05-04-2008, 12:10 PM
Even though I think Aaron Eckhart is a great choice for TwoFace, I do not understand why the heck they put both into the flick - is TwoFace really playing a bigger role or is he just going to be introduced for the third part of the series?

Having too many villains didn't work at all in Spider-Man 3, but it probably drives merchandise sales. Well, we'll see what Nolan came up with :)

Pyke
05-04-2008, 12:18 PM
I dont think two face will be a 'villain' in this movie...but i think he will be introduced, and it will serve as a sort of 'origin story' for him.
I forsee this movie being more about Harvey Dent and Bruce Waynes rivalry, set againsed the chaos that is wrecked by The Joker, than about 'The Joker VS Batman'...much like the first movie wasnt about 'Batman VS Ra's Al Ghul and The Scarecrow'..it was about Bruce Wayne, and Batman, with the villains simply being a catylist.

Boone
05-04-2008, 02:54 PM
The problem with Spiderman 3 was actually having three villians who had little character to them. The new Goblin was necessary due to the continuing story from the previous films and Venom was essential to the darker side of Spiderman but Sandman was kind of a spare one at a wedding.

As for Dark Knight, I think its more of a hate-triangle. Joker is most likely a nut who delights in chaos, Bruce is busy undoing the Joker's damage whilst Two-Face is taking advantage of it all. I think it's just right.

urban-rebellion
05-04-2008, 02:56 PM
From what Ive read I think Pyke is absolutly right, this film is about bruce wayne and harvey dent with the joker wreaking havoc through the story. I heard he's only going to appear (as two face) towards the very end of the film a la the Joker in batman begins. Anyway these new films are meant to be gritty and realistic, and how realistic is it that batman gets to fight one villan, defeat him then fight the next etc, I mean I dont really see these villans forming an orderly line and waiting their turn to kill batman.

The other thing that harvey dent/two face isnt meant to be portrayed as a typical bad guy like the joker is, he's trying to do the right thing but pushed by events to do bad things, while still being someone the audience can identify with.

Anyway thats enough from me.

Cheers

Bonedaddy
05-04-2008, 04:55 PM
Exponentially adding villains?

The last one had two (Ra's al Ghul and Scarecrow). This one has two (Joker and Two-Face).

Maybe the next one will hearken back to greatness and have Poison Ivy and Mr. Freeze.. :)

Phrenzy84
05-04-2008, 05:19 PM
how does everyone feel about films that have to have more and more trailers to gain more public awareness.

I understand why, but i think that they ruin the product almost, because most of the people have seen the last 3 trailers, which obviously arent filled with the worst moments. They will probably be very memorable.

I love watching films where i havent seen a single piece of media about, just word of mouth says its good. Think about how many films you have seen where you didnt hear anything about it and loved it, im pretty sure those stayed in your mind longer than one where it was hyped up.

Im not doubting the film, but i think trailers or the art of trailers has kinda gone by the wayside. Trailers should intrigue people without showing too much. Some trailers are so ridiculous that they show the entire plot.

I wouldnt know about this one because i havent seen this trailer. :)

richcz3
05-04-2008, 06:26 PM
.....I love watching films where i havent seen a single piece of media about, just word of mouth says its good. Think about how many films you have seen where you didnt hear anything about it and loved it, im pretty sure those stayed in your mind longer than one where it was hyped up......I would agree with this but once you've hit sequals territory - you reach a certain investment scale. Possible huge licenisng tie ins so there's allot riding on the success. Marketing as many facets of the film are inneviatble.

Completely different kind of movie (and budget) but Cloverfield was definitely a "Word of Mouth" movie. If there was a sequal to Colverfield, that whole viral marketing - "let the viewers market our movie" might be considered too risky.

zzacmann
05-04-2008, 08:11 PM
I agree with the comments that it seems like the more villians you stick in movie the worse it gets. Thats what sent the last Batman Movie franchise down the toilet - too many main characters and none them explored in any depth.

I really felt like the first Spiderman was a new kind of superhero movie and Sam Raimi understood the too-many-characters plague that kills most movie franchises, but then Spiderman 3 came out and all hope flew out the window. I predict in 10 -15 years, after 1 or 2 more Raimi Spidey films, somebody's going to reinvent the Spidey franchise again just like Nolan did with Batman.

With Nolan at the helm though, I think, or at least I'd like to think, that he knows what he's doing and wont let his Batman become another Batman Forever. Of course, a lot of people felt the same way about Raimi. Now I know what some of you are thinking. Raimi was pressured by the studio to cram Venom into the plot very late in the writing process. Thats the story. Well I don't buy it. Raimi's got too much money and too much clout to not have put his foot down on Spidey 3. He MADE Spiderman what it is today. I refuse to believe that he could so easily be bullied into doing something that he knew would destroy a movie. Anyway, thats my rant.

The greatness and freshness or Batman Begins as well as just having seen Memento for the first time, helps assure me that Nolan isn't going to let his Batman turn into a Saturday morning cartoon like the last Batman Franchise. The man knows what he's doing. Fingers crossed.

And besides, like previous predictions, Harvey Dent is supposed to just be introduced in this movie as a setup for the third film. He's not technically a villian, yet. Its what we would have liked to have believed was happening when introducing Dr. Connors in Spiderman 2, but hasn't happened yet.

frix
05-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Why is this movie called "the dark knight" instead of batman? Judging by the trailer it looks like a remake of the very first batman movie though. But it's hardly possible to improve the joker alias jack nickelson.

webhead
05-04-2008, 11:18 PM
I read that the scarring as two face is going to be a lot deeper than the comics, and my wild guess is its going to be to the bone...he's going to have half normal face and half skull with bits of burnt flesh hanging off.

I hope the movie doesn't get that dark. I know most everyone likes their Dark Knight movies/comics on the really dark side, but I hope they don't go pitch black with this film series. I wasn't ever into the really dark plotlines of the comics, such as: The Joker "raping" Batgirl and leaving her a cripple, or beating Robin to a bloody pulp with a crowbar. Yeah, I know, I'm sure i'm in the minority on this, but I prefer some good, old escapism in superhero films. For the really distrubing, gritty, over-the-top gratuitous violence, I can watch the news or play a video game.

heney
05-05-2008, 02:56 AM
What nobody seems to realize is that Batman Begins had 3 big villains (Mob boss Falcone, Scarecrow, and Ra's, as well as a cameo from Mr. Zsas) and it ran without a hitch. Spidey 3's problem was not the number of villains but the lack of investment in any of them, from both the director and the audiences stand point.

The Dark Knight looks to have four so far: Scarecrow (briefly seen in the trailer) Mob boss Maroni, Joker, and Two face. Personally I think it's brilliant to flesh out the supporting cast with lesser known villains and characters from the mythology, and Nolan pulled it off extremely well last time.

SheepFactory
05-05-2008, 04:53 AM
What nobody seems to realize is that Batman Begins had 3 big villains (Mob boss Falcone, Scarecrow, and Ra's, as well as a cameo from Mr. Zsas) and it ran without a hitch. Spidey 3's problem was not the number of villains but the lack of investment in any of them, from both the director and the audiences stand point.

The Dark Knight looks to have four so far: Scarecrow (briefly seen in the trailer) Mob boss Maroni, Joker, and Two face. Personally I think it's brilliant to flesh out the supporting cast with lesser known villains and characters from the mythology, and Nolan pulled it off extremely well last time.

Scarecrow is in the trailers? I never noticed.

Array
05-05-2008, 05:25 AM
The problem with Spiderman 3 was actually having three villians who had little character to them. The new Goblin was necessary due to the continuing story from the previous films and Venom was essential to the darker side of Spiderman but Sandman was kind of a spare one at a wedding.

I actually thought that the Sandman was the most compelling part of Spiderman 3. I wish that they had made him the focus of the entire movie.

RockinAkin
05-05-2008, 06:23 AM
Ledger really knocked it out of the park with his Joker performance judging from the trailer.

urban-rebellion
05-05-2008, 12:00 PM
how does everyone feel about films that have to have more and more trailers to gain more public awareness.

I understand why, but i think that they ruin the product almost, because most of the people have seen the last 3 trailers, which obviously arent filled with the worst moments. They will probably be very memorable.

I love watching films where i havent seen a single piece of media about, just word of mouth says its good. Think about how many films you have seen where you didnt hear anything about it and loved it, im pretty sure those stayed in your mind longer than one where it was hyped up.

Im not doubting the film, but i think trailers or the art of trailers has kinda gone by the wayside. Trailers should intrigue people without showing too much. Some trailers are so ridiculous that they show the entire plot.

I wouldnt know about this one because i havent seen this trailer. :)

I agree with you to an extent...most of the time you're spot on trailers are used to FLOG movies that otherwise people just woundnt care as much about, they need to hype big summer blockbusters up because theyre a dime a dozen.

In the case of the dark knight however, I feel its the opposit. People are DEMANDING footage, news, updates, spoilers, interviews whatever information that can be got about this movie, and I feel that nolan is taking great pleasure in feeding us little bits of information and seeing how crazy everyone gets. I mean this trailer hasnt been out 48 hours and its all over the net. Supply and demand. Thats my 2c.

Cheers John

Phrenzy84
05-05-2008, 12:57 PM
I agree with richcz3 and urban-rebellion,

I understand the need to keep people updated and to make sure people know about the film, especially because sequels always have a larger budget and therefore the investors want to make sure people know about it.

And with Sequels people usually want to see more.

But if the first film was great (which it was), then they dont need to pump in soo much footage in the trailer.

Im not saying they should do a campaign like layer cake, which was really outthere, but a little screen time of Heath, Christian, anyone else (unless its meant to be a surprise).

Basically the teaser would act as the theatrical trailer. People who had seen the first one would want to see it, and if its done with alot of intrigue then people who havent seen the previous film would still want to.

That being said this will blow the last film in terms of sales out of the water, since the recent death of heath, but in general i dont think studios need to sacrifice their best shots for the trailer in the hopes people will want to see it.

But i understand the need to show as much as possible without giving it away. (Although i havent seen the trailer yet :)).

-andrew

urban-rebellion
05-05-2008, 02:13 PM
(Although i havent seen the trailer yet :)).

-andrew

How can you not?!? :eek:

*Must.... click.... liiiinnk*

erilaz
05-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Speaking of too much information in trailers, did any of you guys see this?
Wildly Popular 'Iron Man' Trailer To Be Adapted Into Full-Length Film (http://www.theonion.com/content/video/wildly_popular_iron_man_trailer?utm_source=embedded_video)

Boone
05-05-2008, 02:30 PM
I actually thought that the Sandman was the most compelling part of Spiderman 3. I wish that they had made him the focus of the entire movie.

Sandman had great potential but simply did not fit the story. In fact, I would have teamed him up with the Kingpin as they would be a more relevant pair - Ganglord and Lackey. The Kingpin could offer Sandman protection from the law so long as he does his bidding but what advantage does Vemon offer Sandman? Hmmm.

However, the Goblin and Vemon want Spiderman dead due to personal vendettas and are hungry for power so you have reasons both will agree on.

Geta-Ve
05-05-2008, 03:20 PM
Why is this movie called "the dark knight" instead of batman? Judging by the trailer it looks like a remake of the very first batman movie though. But it's hardly possible to improve the joker alias jack nickelson.

I understand everyone having their own opinions, but have you actually compared the two jokers? Ledgers joker is miles above the greatness Jack bestowed upon the character, though technically to hardcore fans that greatness is highly debateable so .... :P

Anyhow this is all conjecture considering all we have seen is the trailer. But if it is any indication then we are in for a treat.

heney
05-05-2008, 07:11 PM
Scarecrow is in the trailers? I never noticed.

I saw a screen cap of him inside the van that batman lands on and crushes in the trailer.

NicolasJordan
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
Where is Batmans woman from the last movie and who is this new chick? They better not go everboard on any romance crap just to appeal to a shallow audience. I really don't like the fact they don't seem to keep the entire cast the same.

malducin
05-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Where is Batmans woman from the last movie and who is this new chick? They better not go everboard on any romance crap just to appeal to a shallow audience. I really don't like the fact they don't seem to keep the entire cast the same.

Katie Holmes was not asked to return for the sequel, Maggie Gylenhal is susbtituting her (they're the same character). This was mostly due to the fallout of Tom Cruise's antics when the first film opened.

Kimotion
05-05-2008, 11:29 PM
Katie Holmes was not asked to return for the sequel, Maggie Gylenhal is susbtituting her (they're the same character). This was mostly due to the fallout of Tom Cruise's antics when the first film opened.

Thank god. Katie Holmes was the only sore spot in that movie, regardless of the Tom Cruise thing.

Kwe
05-06-2008, 05:18 PM
guys relax about Two-Face...they're only setting him up for the 3rd flick. he'll just be regular Harvey Dent for most of the movie.

TRi-14
05-07-2008, 03:39 AM
possible visual spoiler image of 2-face
http://bp2.blogger.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SCCMzVcfdTI/AAAAAAAADj0/AL7-h7OsRLY/s1600-h/harvey-dent-aaron-eckhart.jpg

Pyke
05-07-2008, 08:19 AM
possible visual spoiler image of 2-face
http://bp2.blogger.com/_2kjisMm3M9Y/SCCMzVcfdTI/AAAAAAAADj0/AL7-h7OsRLY/s1600-h/harvey-dent-aaron-eckhart.jpg

I really like it...and I hope that its real. It would be a massive amount of CG work there (around his mouth) every time he was on screen.
Im sure it would be easier to just do it with prostetics...ive seen some things done recently with puppets and makeup that is staggering!
They did a similar thing with Arnie in T3, but it was only for a few shots in the movie...I would love to see this carried through the entire film tho! (Batman 3....not TDK).

Greg80Schutzer
05-14-2008, 10:50 PM
Wow. I hope that two-face image is real! That is some dark imagery right there! This movie is gonna rock! *crosses fingers

CGTalk Moderation
05-14-2008, 10:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.