PDA

View Full Version : Hexagon 2.5

ColinCohen
05-02-2008, 07:42 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/macworld/20080502/tc_macworld/hexagon3dmodelingsoftwareexportstosecondlife;_ylt=AtAlJ9LBo28p7qsbLvlAjE0jtBAF

Ivan D Young
05-02-2008, 10:35 PM
I have been watching Hexagon from the sidelines for awhile, anyone care to post their thoughts about the newest version. I sort of am looking for the folks who might have beta tested for this opinion, in case anyone was unsure. Thanks.

arquebus
05-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Id be curious as to who Daz hired or contracted to continue developement on Hexagon. I know they got rid of the original french design team (maybe that wasnt a bad idea), so its nice to see that bugs and scupt problems are being addressed and that this app has a future.

tonytrout
05-03-2008, 07:14 PM
No Im not a beta tester but I have used the software for some years, and my opinion is that 2.5 is no real improvement over 2.2. Its a shame really that a potentially great modelling tool is mired with slow and mediocre development since the original french team were replaced

PeteExxtreme
05-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I....I know they got rid of the original french design team (maybe that wasnt a bad idea)....

Do you know anything about what really happened ? I don't think so....

Tlock
05-03-2008, 08:16 PM
Clearly the original French dev team weren't addressing all of this issues, but rather adding new feature with more and more issues. 2.2 > 2.5 is probably core fine tuning and bug fixing rather than new feature updates. I am glad to see that they start to address some of these and hopefully 3.0 might be finally ready to introduce new functionaly. Makes me think of Apple's Aperture which required major code overhaulling before new feature could be introduced. There is no need to get offended if your French, not every team in every country is great.

Not to mention a new team needs time to get familiar with the code before making major changes or enhancements.

Totyo
05-03-2008, 08:55 PM
It seems that a lot of users did a downgrade from Hexagon 2.5 to Hexagon 2.2/2.1.
Thank you for the message about the original team! (I'm one of the Hexagon creator :))

Patrick210
05-03-2008, 09:16 PM
Hex 2.5 added two new features, Sculpy capability and a bridge to DAZ Studio, which don't really appeal to most Hexagon users but are designed to attract content developers into the DAZ fold. Bug fixes were minimal. Hex has always been a much better program than a lot of people were led to believe. It had some problems with older graphics cards, but most OpenGl modelers do, even Modo 302. For people who spent time to learn it correctly, it's a pleasure to use. There are some bugs, which I believe would have been fixed in short order had the original developers been allowed to work on it a bit longer. I think it's a shame it wasn't allowed to continue it's original path, but having said that, it is still the quickest organic poly modeler I've seen.

kursad_pileksuz
05-04-2008, 06:48 AM
2.5 is very choppy on my system (quad core, 512 8600gt)

KOKE
05-04-2008, 06:55 PM
Too bad hexagon has so many bugs... It does seem to have some nice modelling tools however and the price is really tempting. Around 42 euros.
How does it handle hard body modelling? Is it more flexible than max with polyboost?

Looks nice anyway.

JK.

:D

pem
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
I'm quite happy with Hexagon. It's a good modeler and the price is excellent (especially if you join the platinum club, if even only to get the discount). The latest version is mostly about fixing bugs. I tried the Silo demo but I was more productive in Hexagon. It makes a great companion to Carrara, DAZ Studio/Poser.

CGTalk Moderation
05-19-2008, 09:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.