PDA

View Full Version : Creating a wind direction arrow

lxdengar
05-02-2008, 12:18 AM
Hi all,

I was looking for some guidelines that would help me create a wind direction arrow. An arrow that would attach to dynamics field and point in the direction of the force. Has anyone tackled something like this before and could give me a few pointers?

Thanks!

Demno
05-02-2008, 09:32 AM
When I read your post I made a quick test. It turned out ok. The way I did it was to aimconstrain my arrow to a locator in one axis, I then parented the locator to a rigid body ("windsensor") that was affected by the fields. After that I nail constrained the windsensor to the arrows base. This worked nice, but to get a realistic movement you have to be very precise with your fields or this setup will just send the arrow spinning. I guess you could just put a big radial field volume with negative magnitude around it all so keep the windsensor from disappearing if you don't want to go the nail constraint way.

fedayi
05-02-2008, 05:44 PM
intresting, never done anything like that before, but would love to give it a shot, give me a day or so, let me finish on a few things, and ill test it out, post a file or images to show what i did.

MikeRhone
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Hmmm I may have misread what you were looking for... are you looking to use the object to control the fields, or the fields to control the weather vane?

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 07:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.