PDA

View Full Version : A breakin and an unfolding platform - stuff for my reel

InKraBid
05-01-2008, 09:28 PM
Hello all!

I've been making a character animation to open up my reel, and have nearly finished an animation of an unfolding platform.

The character animation is of my soldier woman that you may have seen in some of my other animations, this time breaking into some place. For now, the thought is that she's breaking into my studio \ workshop, and stumbles across some of my pieces. Tell me what you think. It's a screen preview, so please just crit animation. Oh yeah, and there are some particles coming down from the top of the door, not visible in preview.

http://www.youtube.com/v/aY6r4YKWxvc&hl=en

The unfolding platform is an old idea from my days at CIAAS, a Norwegian offshore-animation company. The thought then was to make it into a transformer of some kind, but I just wanted to make it unfold. The thought is that the whole thing is in an unfolding box that the soldier woman from the first clip is toying around with. To scale, it'll be the size of a rubiks cube in her hands. Oh, and I will probably speed up the animation for the reel, and I saw that one of the legs has a slinganimation to it, will fix that.

http://www.youtube.com/v/UhR8LsbrfNY&hl=en

So, please tell me what you think. Harder crits help more :)

YamaJii
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
whoa the platform is awsome. Its was like transformers for buildings. The girl on the other hand was alot weaker than the platform imho. There seemed to be no weight when she kicked open the door, but everything after she entered looked ok.

theflash
05-18-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree platform animation is really nice and done in detail. I love it. My only comment is that somehow to me it looks a little slow. It's difficult to keep interest in such slow motion. Also I would have added some more slowing in and out and faster transitions in some areas relatively, may be smaller parts can be faster.?

For the girl animation, I think you have a good start on it and I like that it's without any hiccups. I would push the actions poses and anticipation more. For example when she kicks the door. In general I would try to put more force in it, right now it looks all too soft and a little weightless. But I must say its a very good attempt. It's just you can push it further.

noizFACTORY
07-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Hey, the platform animation is really damn neat! The timing is a little slow but you have the works in the right place. I'm attempting something similar for an arch viz commercial so any pointers from you would really help me out.

I'm assuming that you mostly pre-planned it all down to the last detail. The choreography for something like this would have to be nailed early on, right? Also, I'm assuming that you mostly keyframed the transforms but it would be great to know if you tried anything fancier, like blend shapes (I don't think so) or set driven keys or if there was some rigging involved.

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
07-06-2008, 06:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.