PDA

View Full Version : Secondary Trailer

koinu
05-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Kirt & Ila,
Well here is an update of the Bowles trailer. Let me know what type of details are needed for this. I modeled it low poly in keeping with that it will be in the background, there is no interior and the frame is basic (no extra's underneath), also the wheels have no springs for the axles (planned on creating them if needed). Let me know if this works and I'll either fix problems you see or start on another trailer.
C&C welcome and greatly appreciated!!!!:wavey:
Gerald

koinu
05-15-2003, 04:56 AM
rear shot

Kirt
05-15-2003, 05:08 AM
Looks pretty good, but I can think of a few things I would change.

Primary issue: It doesn't look tooned. You need to put some arcs in those straight lines and plump up misc. accessories to give it the full round cartoony look that the rest of the models are going to have.

Secondary issue: It looks off balance. The axles are really far back and could stand to be moved forward more so that it doesn't look akward. Try and picture this thing being towed behind a vehicle and you'll realize immediately how difficult it would be to navigate. Although it's a secondary object for the film, it still needs to be reasonably believable as a prop.

Lastly: Textures will probably help considerably, but try to trash it up some with the modelling. This is the home of some poor underpaid slob. The door may not hang straight, the curtains may be bedsheets tacked to the wall, or a burnt out air conditioner unit may be added to the roof (not original manufacturer's equiptment but something salvaged from garbage and added ... so it doesn't match the trailer's style).

Oh ... one more thing :D there is no need for axles on any of the other trailers. We will only see the bottom of the teardrop mobile home.

Keep working on it :wip:

koinu
05-15-2003, 05:34 AM
Got some suggestions to pass by you.
1. Textures on the windows ar going to be torn-up screens, or
geometry that looks like screens with textures.
2. Splitting the windows, as in a residentual home?
3. busted antenea on rooftop?
4.Curature around the doorway(concept pic I posted on the other
thread)
5.BEER (hehe)
Okay I'll run with you suggestions and post later tonight or
tomorrow....:cool:

koinu
05-19-2003, 02:09 AM
Couple updates fer ya guys, haven't gotten to trash the ooutside geometry of the trailer...

koinu
05-19-2003, 02:12 AM
back side

koinu
05-19-2003, 07:38 AM
playin with a small scene WAITING fer Kirt....

MaDeuce
05-20-2003, 07:25 AM
Looks good, Koinu. I beleive you need to "bulge" it a little, kinda like Kirt says "tooned". also, i believe you could add a little more geometry to smooth out those hard edges and corners. Keep it up:beer:

koinu
05-21-2003, 06:35 AM
Gotcha Deuce..... Working on the geometry now....
Wanting to have more time....... Tiburon called and well I'm going...
Not to fear, I'm still on the bus with you guys......

koinu
05-22-2003, 10:02 AM
A couple of updates, I have spent some time re-working the trailer to look a bit better for the toon effect. ALthough I have not added the geometry to create the old run down effext. I would like some C&C about how it looks. Also in the rear render below there is a strang banding that I can't figure out, anyone that has a clue please tell me for this is the firest time it has occured.

koinu
05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
another shot and I forgot to mention that I have not yet added the fender area to the rear.

koinu
05-22-2003, 10:04 AM
another shot and know that there is a seam that has to be welded...

MaDeuce
05-22-2003, 11:27 AM
I like how you added some curve in the molding right above the windows (like in the reference pic). The variation in the shape will look better when the scene is lit as well.

koinu
05-29-2003, 04:59 PM
DIRECTION, DIRECTION, DIRECTION.....
I am still willing to tackel this project although I am not getting any direction for this model i.e. how messed up the trailer needs to be, more style?, concept art to follow....... Will keep plugging away at it and will post later today

ilasolomon
05-29-2003, 06:05 PM
HI :wavey:
hmmm...well....emmm...errr....i donno....i have not any idea, yet.... :) but I really think it's good & gonna be better soon.

I think you should follow that trailer picture that you have been posted a while ago, then when the trailer is almost finalized, share the snapshots here for comments & direction.
It's hard to say what it is going to be in this level, for me!

modelers must be AUTO-RUN somehow & not stop oftentimes. :thumbsup:

good luck

Kirt
05-30-2003, 01:20 AM
I like the new rounded version. Here's some suggestions:

1. Remove all 90 degree angles from the windows. Make them into soft rounded corners.
2. Remove the front window and make it a wrap around panoramic window.
3. Remove front side windows and move the door forward more.
4. Put a small half window in the space created by moving the door forward.
5. On the opposite side put a larger window that fits the space well.

These changes will make it seem as though there is a kitchen in the forward half of the trailer with a booth type table under the panoramic front window.

It will also allow you to move the wheel wells forward more so that the balance of the trailer doesn't look off like your earlier version did.

When you get those changes made, post again.

Additionally, don't worry about the environment for this trailor. We just need the trailor as a background element. The set will be designed later and we'll find a good place to set it down. Details should be kept to a minimum as well since this trailor and all the others will only be used for set dressing.

koinu
05-30-2003, 06:13 PM
I read you loud and clear.... Roger and Out...
Changes per your requset will be made as the day progresses and this flu bug diminishes.... Thanks Kirt:thumbsup:

koinu
06-06-2003, 12:03 AM
Hey Gang, I'm appoligizing for being under the weather, Gotten hold of a really bad flu bug... Will post as soon as my body lets me stay up longer than 4 hours....Kirt, btw those pics on the main trailer page are a great help for me too..

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.