PDA

View Full Version : Animation: thesis: After You

ChrisTC
05-15-2003, 04:46 AM
Hi everyone! Here's a link to my thesis from Ringling School. There's a lot of animation I want to fix, but the deadline is past. I'm very interested in any comments, so critique it anyway! Thanks!

http://www.rsad.edu/~ccording/TH_AfterYou.html

Oh, if it plays slow while it's loading, just wait for it to finish. I had that problem myself. :thumbsup:

http://www.rsad.edu/~ccording/miscellaneous/AfterYou_small.jpg

LeifThoreson
05-15-2003, 06:03 AM
:applause: :cool: :buttrock:
That rocks!!!!
Made my day, laughed so hard I thought I'd wake everyone in the house
:scream:

qu2k
05-15-2003, 06:11 AM
lol, very nice :D

laker
05-15-2003, 11:08 AM
Wow
I was originally thinking
hmm there goona do this for 3 min....
Heh but pulled it off perfect
bravo!,
P.S. Where the characters made of playdoe?

aylora
05-15-2003, 12:01 PM
simple and very nice.

I animate
05-15-2003, 03:10 PM
I loved it! :applause: Nice to wake up to something that puts a grin on my face. Almost as good as coffee!:D

stephen2002
05-15-2003, 04:00 PM
:D great work! That sure was funny. The expressions and movements are very good!

Excellent!

unclebob
05-15-2003, 04:28 PM
ahh man... that was too funny. great idea and great animation. I about snarked my morning coffee. :applause:

bob

BladeFX
05-15-2003, 04:47 PM
Very nice. :bounce:
I like the expressions.

John Lee
05-15-2003, 04:59 PM
LOL excellent work there good use of character nice simple but effecctive story!! Very well done. Good aimation as well!

John Lee

swee
05-15-2003, 05:09 PM
haha very nice animation you got there! haha :scream:

shoey
05-15-2003, 05:14 PM
That was really excellent:applause: The expressions and movement were great, neat story too. Job well done:thumbsup:

LordDubu
05-15-2003, 05:26 PM
I'm amazed by anyone who can do "short" work. I am just no good at coming up with short concepts. I think it's easier to write sweeping epics that require lots of exposition, even though such work might get more respect from the viewing community, a short like this shows a far greater ammount of talent.

I liked this a lot. At first the skin textures bothered me, then toward the end I realized they were something similar to the material in a needed eraser and suddenly it made sense.

This is good stuff.

mattmos
05-15-2003, 05:52 PM
Excellent. bare bones stuff, only what's needed to make it work is left in... Love it!

ChrisTC
05-15-2003, 07:45 PM
Thanks for all of your comments! Getting feedback is the best way for me to improve. :)

laker: Playdough is actually a great idea! I wanted my characters to look like sculpy/clay for this animation. I actually scanned some sculpy for fingerprints and smudges. I also noticed that sculpy cracks when it's bent back and forth, so I scanned that too. However, I didn't want it to look like claymation exactly.

stephen2002:
BladeFX:
shoey:
If I had more time I would have added more facial expressions. They actually have tongues that they never use. :rolleyes:

Lord Dubu: The story was the hardest part. The characters defined it. It took a lot to get it to where it is. I got a lot of feedback from friends, faculty and my family. Simplicity was definitely the key.

mattmos: The idea of the simple set vs. a detailed environment was something I toiled over quite a lot. I'm glad you like it! It allowed me to concentrate on the acting more.

Thanks again for all of your compliments and feedback! It's all very helpful and encouraging!

-Chris

iBlue
05-15-2003, 08:35 PM
awesome!:)

gary hsu
05-15-2003, 09:30 PM
I really love the story, I have spent the whole morning watching it again and again. the door bothers me a bit cause it opens and close in different ways, but other than that, I love it, congrets

jussing
05-15-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by Lord Dubu
I'm amazed by anyone who can do "short" work. I am just no good at coming up with short concepts. I think it's easier to write sweeping epics that require lots of exposition

Well, "easy" might be a tad exaggerated ;), but I agree heartily with your point. Anyone who can come up with the simple, good idea (which is exactly what ChrisTC has done here) is a genius.

Everytime I start to work on a small idea, the story grows massive, before the story begins to take form... and then I ditch the project for being too ambitious...

Which is why Luxo Jr. rates as one of my all-time favourite CG animations - I mean, for instance, it was CG, they could do whatever they wanted with the camera, yet it's completely locked off... one damn camera angle. No dialogue. No cute eyes or lips. But tons of expressions, and a good story...

Anyway, back on topic! "After You" is absolutely GREAT, particularly for the reasons mentioned by Lord Dubu! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep it up!

Cheers,
- Jonas

Lapsus
05-15-2003, 11:22 PM
NIce story also!!!:drool:

ChrisTC
05-16-2003, 12:14 AM
Story is something they really get us to focus on at Ringling. Those are very kind words jussing, but I wouldn't consider myself a genius at it. My process certainly didn't go smoothly. I read, typed and wrote many pages to help me figure it out. And if it weren't for all the feedback and suggestions I got, my story would definitely be a weaker one.

It is always good to go back to your original idea. A short description that you can use to keep yourself on track. Every CA student at Ringling knows what I'm talking about. :buttrock: Or at least have some sort of goal, like what you want to show the audience or have them feel at the end. It's often easy to wander off track and include things that only seem important. I guess the trick is to identify those things.

Thanks! Great feedback!

-Chris

pixelranger
05-16-2003, 01:10 AM
Wow! Wonderful story and excellent expressions!!! :buttrock:
I love the timing and their poses. One of the best shorts I've seen in at least four mon... no, two yea.... eh... my life?

Keep it up! I hope you get a good job!!

raden
05-16-2003, 01:45 AM
lol

smart & simple. the idea. a puncher:thumbsup:

goodjob!

that's all I gotta say, well i'd like to give some crits but then you said the deadline is passed.

i really like you guys @ Ringling digging 'human' behaviour stuffs.
for this yours & PT Osborne's are my fave altho cinematography wise Thelvin's & Woohyun's are great.

Goodluck on the real world.
:beer:

ChrisTC
05-16-2003, 02:05 AM
Ooo! Don't hold back, critiques are very welcome! :) Tell me anything!

-Chris

Beechdbum
05-16-2003, 02:47 AM
i love this short its got such a great twist that you really dont see coming, i do have one crit about the scene where the orange guy ducks down allitle its right after the blule guy walks over, well the oranges guys top teeth are the ones that move downward to clinch the teeth together and if your going for a human like movement only the bottom row of teeth are moveable, i hope this made sense, please check your private messages because i had a question for you any way excellent job on this

Morten_Jensen
05-16-2003, 03:10 PM
Cute :)

Love the part where the arm gets pulled off :thumbsup:

Morten

Maximus Groff
05-16-2003, 03:35 PM
Mna.. plug this video on front... i showed this to all my friends
and everytime we see we laugh...

;) WELL done job... if u put out a massive environment it will
be 10 stars!

wesware
05-16-2003, 03:41 PM
Very well done!
entertaining throughout.
I can associate with the blue guy... it's like you videotaped me and my son.

Digiegg
05-16-2003, 04:10 PM
very vrey very cute!!!!!!

Savage_Henry
05-16-2003, 04:24 PM
Holy!!

That was great!
I haven't laughed out loud at a piece in a long time...
I AM that blue character everyday...dealing with morons on the subway and on the street.

The expressions were fantastic...A true pleasure to watch.:thumbsup:

ChrisTC
05-19-2003, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad people can identify with this. Makes me happy!

KOKE
05-20-2003, 12:57 AM
bravo!!

simplicity is the key!!!

:applause: :applause:

JonC
05-20-2003, 02:01 AM
hahahah I love it! :D
you did a great job! its quite simple and it works really well, great idea! :D:beer:

nomad_girl
05-21-2003, 10:11 PM
very funny and well done. your facial animation really gives life and personality to the characters. I know from personal experience how hard it is to work with the deadlines on student films and wanting to go back and work on the animation- but there is just no time-- you did very well & your story really makes the piece.

good job!

RedSilas
05-22-2003, 02:56 AM
Great work on the facial animation especially with the blinks and eye direction. I also liked the fact that your poses for the most part were very strong. That's not something very common in student animation. A great man once said, "Animation is a universal language, words only screw it up" I don't know about the last part but you get my drift.

Ok, my only critique, which is minimal at the most, is the blue characters walk cycle at the very opening of the short. To me his foot seems to lift from the ground too quickly in comparison to his foot plant which is slower. I understand that his is a lanky character but the cycle is almost jerky...boarder-line. But that's it. I think you have done an awesome job!

Keith Osborn
05-22-2003, 06:44 AM
Chris,

Having seen your work for a few years now, it never ceases to amaze me how you take the simple and create a masterpiece out of it. While most of us fellow studnets were over-texturing and over-bump-mapping our first attempt at character animation (a project during our sophomore year) you blew us away with a cone and a sphere and the wonderful interaction between them. You've been an inspiration to me.

I also know that you toiled over this story for quite some time and I gotta say that it's been worth it. Great work - as always.

Keith

Larry_g1s
05-22-2003, 07:57 AM
Bravo! Bravo! :applause: That was great! You did it, you told a story. And you did it well. Congrats.

Emberghost
05-22-2003, 08:01 AM
OOO The irony in that one... :eek:

I loved that one very cute and funny hehe, one of my favorites.

Egyt
05-22-2003, 08:32 AM
Best thing I've seen in a long while, I just love it, so good expressions, and the ending, awwwwwwwww, just super.

Good idea and great animation!

tom.lowe
05-31-2003, 11:32 PM
Another beautiful piece of animation, well done
:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Being new to this website i have seen alot of good animations recently like 'bert' 'poor bogo' and know this.

darkwave
06-01-2003, 02:13 AM
Loved it. Great little story and class animation. :)

Ac0rN
06-01-2003, 03:33 AM
It downloaded for me faster than a usual quic´ktime movie!

That is a great short!! I felt so sorry for the yellow guy , he was so sweet and all ,...

It looked cool how the hand ripped of , how did you do that?

Overall it's very nice !!:thumbsup:

DSedov
06-01-2003, 03:38 AM
It simply rocks!!! Greate characters.:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Cynical_Saint
06-01-2003, 04:31 AM
Hiarious man. I loved it. Nice to see some real creative thinking going on. :)

cutepixie
06-01-2003, 04:36 AM
LOVED IT :D :buttrock: :thumbsup:

Yorgo12345
06-01-2003, 07:16 AM
Great!!!!!!!!

Gremlin
06-01-2003, 07:42 AM
that was really good.
your animating skills are great.... I cant wait to see some awesome detailed models with your animating skill, it'll be so great!
can't wait for more,
Cheers,

victor throe
06-01-2003, 09:30 AM
that was splendid!

well done for getting 2 believable characters

Delarosa
06-01-2003, 09:35 AM
i want more but :shrug: ohh well....

loved it, thanks a bunch for sharing that with us

icky
06-01-2003, 08:15 PM
Wow, that's really rather cool Chris! The acting is fantastic and beautifully subtle in places. The emotions come through great and the distinction between the 2 personalites is very good. I felt the film droped off a little towards the end though. Nothing major, it just didn't feel as lively as the first half.

Great concept and even better execution!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Good site too :D

p.s which compressor did you use to get such small file sizes?

Pancreas
06-01-2003, 09:21 PM
Superb animation! I laughed till I fell from the chair. Great characters, the blue guy is amazing!

:thumbsup:

ChrisTC
06-01-2003, 09:43 PM
Thanks for everyone's comments and critiques! It is very helpful. :)

Ac0rN:
To get the arm to tear off I dupicated the arm geometry so that I had 2 arms on top of each other. Then I morphed the original arm to shrink down into a stub, and I morphed the duplicated arm to taper at the end.

icky:
To compress this I used Sorenson 3 codec and QDesign Music 2 for the audio. I was really surprised at how small I got it. I think the fact that there is so much white in there made a big difference.

-Chris

Velocamonkey
06-02-2003, 01:03 PM
Kick ass cool. This is one of the sweetest student animations I've seen in ages, I really liked the difference the 2 characters had, even the walks at the begining lets you know the type of people they are. I particularly liked the arm pulling off, it was unexpected, Great stuff!!:buttrock: :applause:

gaggle
06-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Good lord man, that's.. beautiful work. There are some slight minor tiny tiny things that could probably be smoothened out a tad, I'm thinking an arm that stands perfectly still for a little too long here, and a morphtarget that blends a little too smoothly there, but those are tiny things that don't detract from the experience at all. And besides you mention you might go in and rework some stuff when you get the time, so all that's just fine.

It's an amazing piece of work as it is, the story is brilliantly simple (for Gods sake keep away from doing a detailed environment or anything silly like that), it's extremly well told through the acting of these guys, and just technically speaking it's all very well done. As others have commented, I thought the material chosen for the characters were a little unorthodox at first, but once the arm-scene plays out it all makes sense. Brilliant.

I also thought it was a welcomed change to hear feedback from the author about how it weren't neccessairly easy to get it done, so I wanted to mention that it would be highly enjoyable to read a.. a post-mortem article of sorts, that would touch on the proccess you had to go through. It would be interesting, I think, to hear maybe some of the first drafts of the story, and get an idea of how this whole thing evolved.

Anyway, brilliant work. It may feel differently to you, I mean it's always very different to the artist himself than to those seeing the product, but just know that this is, infact, brilliant. I can't think of a better way for a student to tell a story. I'm 100% impressed. Big applause.

saltank
06-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Wow that was great! :applause:

PaxtonGerrish
06-02-2003, 02:29 PM
ok that was awsome!!
Im baffled as to why its not plugged? i assume because the characters werent 9 trillion polys rendered with hrdi and some crazy translucency shader..

but im an animator and i could care less about lighting and even models to a certian degree, and all i saw was top notch wicked animation!!!.. heh heh the blue guy was so belivable
you pulled a few moments off really nicely. the part where he rolls his head squints his eyes and shudders holding back his frustration was beautifull!!!!!
the part when he hesitantly goes to open the door was great too.. and i love the moment he realizes hes in the door and has been out smarted by the dimwhitted turtleish guy..

the point is in 2 minuits youv made the audience identify with, and even relate to your characters, even though your characters were little playdough people.. Its like the 5 teenage girls i watched bawling thier eyes out during an emotional scene at finding nemo this weekend. That is what animation is all about!!!

cheers, :beer:
and I seriously hope you get pluged!!
5 stars!!!!

Beechdbum
06-02-2003, 02:46 PM
acc i think this was plugged the original post was on may 14th

PaxtonGerrish
06-02-2003, 02:52 PM
oh..

guess i missed that one.

heh heh

oops

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.