raffael3d
04-30-2008, 11:31 PM
http://www.apple.com/trailers/universal/theincrediblehulk/

ChewyPixels
05-01-2008, 01:21 AM
Sweet!! Can't wait to see this!

rblitz7
05-01-2008, 01:45 AM
WOW! that was kick ass, I'm actually looking foward to this movie now. I hate to say this but the CG looked a tad CG-ish but still awesome as hell! the acting looks good too.

Shletten
05-01-2008, 02:30 AM
I think we have not reached the uncanny valley yet. Still, personnaly I find that the CGI is pretty good even if it doesn't look perfectly photorealistic.

*The helicopter shot isn't too good nor the slicing-in-two tank shot. :sad:

*The morphing of Bruce is good and the close-up on his hands.

pencil-head
05-01-2008, 02:31 AM
WOW! that was kick ass, I'm actually looking foward to this movie now. I hate to say this but the CG looked a tad CG-ish but still awesome as hell! the acting looks good too.

Yeah I feel the same way. The movie itself seems pretty cool. But the design of the characters look a bit... meh.:shrug:

erilaz
05-01-2008, 02:40 AM
Yeah I feel the same way. The movie itself seems pretty cool. But the design of the characters look a bit... meh.:shrug:

I love the over-the-top design of the characters in this version. It makes it feel far more extreme and Hulkish, rather than the "real" version they tried last time.

GQ1
05-01-2008, 06:33 AM
Did ILM make the Hulk this time around?
I like it anyway just wondering though.

cristis
05-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Amazing...I'm speechless.

sforsyth
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Not doing it for me. Looked like baked plastic. Really disappointed in the character designs - or rather, their final look - the Hulk especially looks like a dead doll and doesn't even seem to be composited in very well. I'll watch it anyway, but not with anywhere near the anticipation I had been hoping for.

vfx
05-01-2008, 02:43 PM
I agree with sforsyth... the CG in general in this movie looks pretty rushed and well, cartoon like.

This is an interesting comparison...

http://img254.imageshack.us/img254/8558/oldnewwr3.jpg

Lets look back to some of the earlier films to see how time = better visual effects. Stop rushing the artists and you'd get better results and thus better films :)

malducin
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
Did ILM make the Hulk this time around? I like it anyway just wondering though.

No, it's Rhythm and Hues this time around. I like that they more or less kept the design (if this is indeed a sequel, looks more like a story reboot).

JoshBowman
05-01-2008, 02:57 PM
The film looks 'fun', but as soon as i saw the Hulk all I could think of was the creatures from I Am Legend and how CG they looked.

Still I'll go see it because of Liv :)

ChewyPixels
05-01-2008, 03:32 PM
It's a trailer people! Some of those shots might not even be final.

Airflow
05-01-2008, 04:57 PM
Id love to be wrong, but if you come at this like its supposed to be a comic, your not gonna get realism. I hope these shots are in progress because it looks like a suped up kenner doll. Just look at the post above and you can see the divergance in realism, even tho both images lack somthing, I feel Ilm have the better process.

Awaiting film....

R10k
05-01-2008, 05:01 PM
I couldn't help but wonder why we need the story retold... again...

It looks fun enough, but that thought keeps rattling around in my head, just as I think it will for most of the general public who consider watching it.

isxaari
05-01-2008, 05:21 PM
This is what the first one should have been.

I also hate it when all you pro's come in and crit now and after a movie. saying dumb shit like and these are just some of my favs

The lighting was off
The chr. look cartoonish/fake
The overall look of the chr. is off

Do you really think the American people look at all that crap and say That was a GREAT movie...but the lighting was off on the face in that one sene and I would have rendered it out like such and such.

You people make me laugh.

puch
05-01-2008, 05:23 PM
sorry... I said it before... I know is A LOT of work, love for the art and dedication to put something like that on the screen, but the old Hulk looked better...and still had weird proportions that made it looks like a midget in far away shots...

The new one on top of that has worst design in my opinion, same weird proportions, lighting/shading scheme that make it looks like plastic and unconvincing deformations.

earlyworm
05-01-2008, 08:52 PM
I also hate it when all you pro's come in and crit now and after a movie. saying dumb shit like and these are just some of my favs

I'd prefer it if there was a bit more substance to the critiquing of CG in trailer shots (and the finished film), but I doubt that will happen to any great degree.

Any armchair supervisors spot the shot with the incomplete roto yet? :p

This trailer has sold the movie to me a little bit better, although I'm still a fan of Ang Lee's Hulk.

spurcell
05-01-2008, 09:30 PM

The lighting was off
The chr. look cartoonish/fake
The overall look of the chr. is off

Do you really think the American people look at all that crap and say That was a GREAT movie...but the lighting was off on the face in that one sene and I would have rendered it out like such and such.

Last time I checked, this is a cg forum, populated by many cg professionals. And I'll bet alot of regular old folks will think the cg looks off too, they just won't know how to explain it. you make me laugh.

SovereignKnight
05-01-2008, 11:11 PM
If anything, this trailer made me more excited to see it. Granted, I'm always a naysayer when it involves super hero movies. They all pretty much suck, especially if the title begins with "X" or "Fantastic", and the teaser for this was really a let down, but the trailer looks pretty good.

I also think the CG looks pretty waxy and unrealistic, but the action looks to be much better and frankly, it probably won't make too much difference in the end. As long as it's consistant, it won't matter as much. Take movies such as the Lord of the Rings, where some shots were mind-blowing, and some shots were suckage, it really makes it stand out more. Even if the CG is a 5 on a 1 - 10 scale for Hulk, as long as it's a consistant 5, we'll be alright.

Also, the trailer makes this look like a sequel to the first. I thought it was a reboot, but apparently not. That's a good thing. If anything, it looks more like a movie version of the TV show.

Anyone else catch a few strains of the "Sad Walking Away Song" there towards the end?

furre
05-02-2008, 12:17 AM

I also hate it when all you pro's come in and crit now and after a movie.
So... saying "this is what the first one should have been" without even having seen the movie is just fine, but criticising/discussing/whatever the CGI visible in the trailer on a CG forum is "dumb shit"? Fascinating.

Do you really think the American people
I didn't realize this movie was to be a US only release. Not even the canadians get to see it? :rolleyes:

look at all that crap and say That was a GREAT movie...but the lighting was off on the face in that one sene and I would have rendered it out like such and such.
No, I think people will be considerably less specific and just say "that was a great movie, but the effects weren't very good." Similarly, I can say things like "my car is making a weird noise, I have no idea what's wrong with it", but I expect a bit more of a detailed analysis from my mechanic.

And you make me weep. Nature is balance.

webhead
05-02-2008, 05:37 AM
So far, I liked the look of the first Hulk better. From the small bits I've seen of this film, Hulk looks less real; His skin looks less like flesh, and more like rubber. He looks darker, and meaner this time, and really veiny. That close-up of his face after he jumps down at the soldiers looks more like an "undead" version of the Hulk than one I'm used to seeing.
The quick shots i've seen of him walking look stiff and unnatural to me.
That said, I'm still hoping this one is better than the first film in every other way. Either way, I'm there.

DogBreath
05-03-2008, 09:46 PM
I'm in agreement on the look and the animation, it could be alot more realistic, I'm sure Rhythm and Hues are more than good enough to treat this with the effort it requires, so there must be a reason why its being done this way.

Maybe they just want to come at it from another angle.

The other guy (Is it the Abomination?) he looks pretty cool, same style but slightly different overall look, or is it just different textures.

Is this a new character in the Hulk universe or have you heard of him before and are there other characters still to appear.

mahir
05-04-2008, 07:07 AM
I'm not too worried about the look of Hulk in this one. He looks like an example of the trend of veiny-overly muscled dark-toned monsters (e.g. orcs, trolls, the Hulk 3d model in the galleries in here somewhere). I like the trailer and am hoping Marvel delivers another good movie after Iron Man :)

As for Abonimation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abomination_%28comics%29), he's an old villain from the comics and created by Stan Lee and Gil Kane. I suspect he's going to be a better adversary than mutant dogs and pseudo-Absorbing Man.

trthing
05-04-2008, 08:59 AM
Damn, you guys should have let him *stay* in Rio's favela: he would certainly become a national hero crushing drug dealers...

Lone Deranger
05-04-2008, 01:21 PM
There are situations where the work that comes from a vfx-studio is only as good as their client will allow it to be.... as unbelievable as that might sound....

I'm in agreement on the look and the animation, it could be alot more realistic, I'm sure Rhythm and Hues are more than good enough to treat this with the effort it requires, so there must be a reason why its being done this way.

markyjerky
05-05-2008, 02:35 PM
The big screen didn't do the trailer any favors. Saw Hulk Trailer before Iron man.

Didn't like the Hulk skin/texture at all. I prefer the Ang Lee vintage Hulk even if they tried less to get a great texture. Perhaps I'll change my tune after I see 2008 Hulk in a few months from now.

At least I'm not going to skip out and boycott.

Breinmeester
05-05-2008, 03:10 PM
This trailer shows me nothing why this story should be retold ...again! What is this version going to add? Didn't convince me, not going to see it.

biliousfrog
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
Wow, that looks terrible. The Hulk actually looks worse than in the previous film, how does that work? No amount of story is going to cover up how unbelievable the main character is...shame because I had high hopes with Ed Norton in it but I'll never be able to watch it without cringing. I had flashbacks to the Skeletor Alien in Alien Resurrection.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2008, 08:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.