PDA

View Full Version : Shatter or Blastcode?

inzu
04-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Hello!

Am working on an FX shot where an egg smashes on a plane at high speed.What is the best approach to do the smash?
Shatter in Maya or Blastcode?

Thanks.

ranxx
04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Anthony Chappina did a similar project and showed his progress step by step (using realflow). His site is here: http://overloadgraphics.com/FluidDynamics/

-ranxx

inzu
04-30-2008, 08:16 PM
Thanks.I'll check that out.

phildog
05-04-2008, 06:01 AM
Hi Inzu,
yeah if you have access to blastcode then definitely use it. Ive used it a bit but there are heaps more qualified people out there to give you tips. Either way you might still have to use the solid shatter feature in maya. Blastcode only handles nurbs at this stage, and the workflow involves 'glueing' your poly shards to the blastcode sim.

Or you could make your shards into ncloth objects like the way i show in my video tutorial.
Then use a large animated uniform field or similar to break it up or actually for your case thats not needed...you just wanna drop it down and break right? then yeah just key the ignore gravity attribute on the ncloth objects. and ofcourse turn the ground into an nRigid body too. (its all in the ncloth menu , not the rigid/soft body menu)

have you joined my site yet? :p

good luck.

oh yeah, about the inside, i would definitely recommend real flow. that site mentioned above is truly awesome work! but alot of work! :p

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2008, 06:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.