PDA

View Full Version : particles are stuck to surface how to above them?

sakroda
04-30-2008, 09:13 AM
hi
particles falls over the surface like as small balls but as you saw i can see half spheres i want to see them on the surface..not like sink..how to fix that problem could you help me about it
thank you..

maksafadi
04-30-2008, 12:16 PM
hey, i think u should move the surface in Y direction,by the half of the particle's sphere radius size.and you should have two planes,one for the collision that is not renderable,and one for rendering, hope that will work for u,or search for some kind of offset in the collision.

sakroda
04-30-2008, 12:28 PM
thank you but does it work like that? i mean i will create one more plane and it will not be renderable..it looks a tip!! so how to see reaction balls falls to ground??

maksafadi
04-30-2008, 01:26 PM
after you move the collision plane in the y direction,and u set the particle collision,turn the visibility off for it,so that u can see ur spheres bouncing on the floor plane,which lies there just for rendering.

drGonzo
05-01-2008, 03:56 PM
Sicne Maya 8.5 collision now has an offset attr that would fix this

wigal
05-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Interesting.. I haven't checked yet, but was wondering if that collision offset was applicable as a PP attribute?

thanks

drGonzo
05-03-2008, 06:49 PM
Interesting.. I haven't checked yet, but was wondering if that collision offset was applicable as a PP attribute?

Not as such. It is an attr on the geoConnector. Youc ould do some funky stuff my using PP attrs like collisionPosition as multiplier on it.

CarlRiver
05-03-2008, 09:18 PM
Interestingly enough the collisionOffset on the geoConnector doesn't do anything you might expect. What it does is it offsets the particles after they have collided with the surface. This is only to keep particles from passing through the surface when they are colliding multiple times.
I would be glad if anyone had an idea on how to solve this problem any other way than the usual offset-the-plane since this doesn't work that well with complex shapes. I for example am trying to pass color information from a surface to the particles without having them to actually touch the surface. This would work great if you could offset the collision a few units.

Demno
05-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Interestingly enough the collisionOffset on the geoConnector doesn't do anything you might expect. What it does is it offsets the particles after they have collided with the surface. This is only to keep particles from passing through the surface when they are colliding multiple times.
I would be glad if anyone had an idea on how to solve this problem any other way than the usual offset-the-plane since this doesn't work that well with complex shapes. I for example am trying to pass color information from a surface to the particles without having them to actually touch the surface. This would work great if you could offset the collision a few units.

Perhaps I'm nowhere close a sollution.. I'm not at my comp atm so I can't test it. But a thought popped into my head when I read your post. Two particle systems. One with balls the size you want, let's call them visballs. And another system with the size of your visballs + offset. Make these goals for the visballs and make the emitters have the same settings. The goalweight should be one. Make the targetparticles collide and then turn their visibility off.

I'm not sure if this would work.. And of course it would not work in intense scenes.

wigal
05-03-2008, 11:57 PM
Perhaps I'm nowhere close a sollution.. I'm not at my comp atm so I can't test it. But a thought popped into my head when I read your post. Two particle systems. One with balls the size you want, let's call them visballs. And another system with the size of your visballs + offset. Make these goals for the visballs and make the emitters have the same settings. The goalweight should be one. Make the targetparticles collide and then turn their visibility off.

I'm not sure if this would work.. And of course it would not work in intense scenes.

the problem is that particles always collide with there center as if they were points.

Demno
05-04-2008, 08:42 AM
That's very true. I forgot that that applied to spheres aswell, don't know why.

mayacner
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
the goal maybe another way to work it out,similar to Demno's,eg,particle1 and particle2,goal -g particle2 -w 1 particle1,in Dynamic Relationship Editor make sure connect the particle1 and particle 2 to the same emitter,then instead of using the collsion offset in geoConnector ,use goalOffset to offset the particle1's collsion,eg.goalOffset=<<0,y,0>>:)

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2008, 01:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.