PDA

View Full Version : damn slow smudge workaround ?

staglider2
04-20-2002, 07:44 PM
Why is the smudge in photoshop so slow ? Is thereanother way to smudge ? another program or plugin or workaround in photoshop ? Even on my 2Ghz p4 with 1 gig of ram and a geforce 3 the smudge tool can only be used with lower res documents to use it smoothly....when using higher res it takes seconds (sometimes up to 1/2 a minute) to update every smudge stroke..
I see quite some pictures you can tell the smudge tool is being used more or less extensively, now i wonder how do they do that ?

david

DigDug
04-24-2002, 03:28 AM
Under Brush Options turn "spacing" off. This should help,

Doug

staglider2
04-24-2002, 05:34 PM
Yes ! it helps, but the smudge trails are now somewhat distinct, you can sometimes see the intervals

windowlicker
04-26-2002, 01:11 PM
Try fiddling with the "pressure" settings and the "brush dynamics" - might help.

Maven
05-02-2002, 04:46 PM
increase your scratch disk space! and close other programs. also making a smaller work window can help.

Marcel
05-04-2002, 01:45 AM
Why is the smudge in photoshop so slow ?

Because for every stroke you place, PS makes hundres of copies of the image under you brush, makes them transparent according to the brush, and places 'm back. It's a miracle it works so fast at all!

One day we will have computers fast enough to use that 999 size smudge brush!

If you are really in need (and the spacing option results in to much noise), I've heard that the smudge brush in Painter is a bit faster.

Marcel

staglider2
05-04-2002, 07:56 AM
thanks all people who took this question seriously. So after all it becomes clear that photoshop does not have a way to use the SMUDGE algorithm nice and smooth.......after **all** these years, the code seems not to be changed...the smudge tool is around for many years...........its time for some genius kids to highly optimize the SMUDGE algorithm.

David

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.