PDA

View Full Version : MR keeps crashing :(

John Keates
04-29-2008, 10:38 PM
I am having problems with the image I am making for the uplift contest... it keeps crashing when I do a render. It is usualy fine the first time but then it is like the memory doesn't clear. I get a memory access error to do with mental ray.

In the past, I could close XSI, look in the Task manager and find an XSI process, close that, then re-load the project and render, but now even that doesn't work and I have to re-boot my puter. This is prety painful when I am doing test renders.

There is a fair amount in the scene (displacement, sss, final gather, reflections) but it does render fine the first time.

I have a lap-top with 4gigs but with XP 32. Maybe it is to do with that?

tc
04-30-2008, 06:31 AM
put a memory limit on your render settings.
if still crashes, activate the Dynamic BSP and put a mesh split factor...

To do it easy, click the "optimize" button in the "optimize for heavy scenes" group. It's all in the Optimization tab of mentalray renderer.
http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/xsidocs/renderoptions_MemoryOptimizationSettings.htm#Rme38954

It worth to turn on the 3gb switch on your computer, since you have a 32bits machine with more than 2gbs...
http://softimage.wiki.avid.com/index.php/How_To:_Set_the_/3GB_Switch

John Keates
04-30-2008, 10:28 AM
Hey, TC, thanks for the help,

I always thought I did have the 3gb switch but it seems that I didn't. Here is what I have set:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

It is a little different to the one in the link that you sent me:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

Mine has the "/noexecute=optin" bit. I'm not sure how to fit the switch in with that there.

I will also have a look at those memory settings within XSI.

Thanks again

[Edit: The really worrying thing for me is that memory isn't being cleared properly. It renders the first time but not the second... odd]

ajcgi
04-30-2008, 01:12 PM
At home I have the following

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB

It might be 3gb or 3G. CHECK THAT FIRST
Anyway that gives me 2 options at boot so i can choose to start with the switch set or without. On some systems the 3g switch is unstable. I left the option to ignore it in there so I can still play games which crashed when 3g was set ;)

John Keates
04-30-2008, 01:19 PM
Hi ajcgi, thanks for the tip.

I would like to keep the "/noexecute=optin" switch as it appears to be some kind of security feature introduced in SP2:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/bb457155.aspx

I guess I just ad /3gb to the end of the line?

I am a bit scared about all this fiddling. Mind you, the option to have more than one choice at startup looks really good. Thanks for that tip.

John Keates
04-30-2008, 02:42 PM
I tried a number of things including the BSP tree optimise, telling XSI to convert all maps above 512 to .map files and doing the 3GB switch.

I think the 3GB switch is the thing that really fixed it. I also tried an operation on a large zbrush model that didn't work before and I can now do it quite easily.

Excellent help all round, thanks.

tc
04-30-2008, 05:59 PM
Good, glad you fixed that.

In general if you set a memory limit and the dynamic BSP properly, there's not way that XSI will crash on render.

I just did a project where the scene had 300 million triangles subdivided, and it was rendering all right in a 32bit machine.

John Keates
04-30-2008, 09:02 PM
" I just did a project where the scene had 300 million triangles subdivided, and it was rendering all right in a 32bit machine."

Sounds excellent. I didn't set a memory limit so maybe I should start doing that. I have been reading about the way the program splits the scene into parts to reduce the size of contiguous chunks. All very clever stuff. I hope the title of this thread comes across more as desperation than moaning :)

Doublecrash
05-01-2008, 07:02 PM
More or less...

I was about to start a thread, then I saw yours. My XSI keeps crashing even with the simplest renders. But most of the time it freezes my XP-system, and I have to hard-reboot it.

I tried almost everything. Disinstalled QuickTime and every codec-related app (following some troubleshooting I found online), I re-installed XSI, then today I used your suggestions here above... to no avail.

MR renders some tiles, then... sometimes it crashes XSI, sometimes it freezes XSI, other times it freezes the whole system. Does anyone encountered this problem or something similar?

I fear that my only chance is to format and re-install XP and XSI... :(

Argopo
05-01-2008, 07:48 PM
In file -> preferences -> rendering

There are three items that are not checked off initially. If you check them off then XSI clears the memory cache after each render. I'm not at home right now, and don't remember what they are. But, try checking under preferences if you haven't already done so.

edit:

Found an image of the preference window. See attached.

Doublecrash
05-01-2008, 09:45 PM
I tried. No effect... but thank you, I didn't know about those.

Problem is, whenever I render (even a simple sphere, so I think it's not memory related), it freezes my comp, so when I restart I don't have anything in the MR logfile. It's frustrating, because... well, I don't even know what causes this...

:(

John Keates
05-02-2008, 10:45 AM
Doublecrash, I feel for you! I'm afraid I don't know what could be causing the crash. Have you tried a registry cleaner? They have sorted a few problems for me in the past (although a lot of tech-heads hate them).

I found those memory cleaning switches and switched them myself. They may have contributed to my lack of crashes (but I don't think they were the soal reason).

To me, it sounds like your problem isn't related to memory, but more to do with some kind of file corruption.

Doublecrash
05-02-2008, 11:36 AM
Thanks Keats for the solidarity :)

I think so either. I tried almost everything: disinstallation of probably conflicting programs, re-installation of XSI, registry cleaning (I use external uninstallers and registry cleaners on a regular basis because I hate the junk that accumulates in the system), I opted-out XSI from my Nod32 AV check list, I used the 3G switch I found here above... nothing.

So I think you're right. It just keeps freezing my system after some render tiles. And I can't access the log to see what's the problem. So right now I'm carefully jutting down all the apps I need, preparing the installation CDs and DVDs and I'll format C:\ :surprised

Then I will re-install XSI first and check its proper functioning at every app I'll install *after*. I will report here my findings, maybe if it's a conflict (but I tend to agree with you) I will tell what is and be helpful...

Doublecrash
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
In file -> preferences -> rendering

There are three items that are not checked off initially. If you check them off then XSI clears the memory cache after each render. I'm not at home right now, and don't remember what they are. But, try checking under preferences if you haven't already done so.

edit:

Found an image of the preference window. See attached.

Thanks. I tried. But, of course, my problem is that XSI *does not* finish any render, so it has no time to clear the memory. On with the OS re-installation...:banghead:

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 11:39 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.