PDA

View Full Version : In progress: warrior

WooHooo
04-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Hi there! This is my first post here in CGTalk. Im working on this orc warrior. This is the first sketch, just added background and a couple of filters. any critics or advise? Maybe iŽll be adding more pencil work soon...

http://www.estudioq3.com/nando/warrior2.jpg

P.S.: i love this site & what you all guys do!!!

EDIT: Now im jumping inside that dark photoshop world to me, never did this before. IŽve allways left my drawings in their original pencil style, so I think iŽll just try to have some fun and see what i get. Here are my last 30 minutes exploring photoshop improvement (so sorry about my english)

http://www.estudioq3.com/nando/warrior/warrior2e.jpg

NOTE 1: Do i have to reduce pic size to fit forums?
NOTE 2: Im looking to get some glow effect over orcŽs face/body from the fire in the background but still preserve orcŽs green skin...any suggestion on how to do that? Thanks! :D

WooHooo
04-30-2008, 04:58 PM
Updated! Any suggestions?

http://www.estudioq3.com/nando/warrior/warrior2f.jpg

WooHooo
04-30-2008, 07:28 PM
Hi there! Im having troubles with that armor. I dont know what it is but something is wrong. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

http://www.estudioq3.com/nando/warrior/warrior2g.jpg

Tymotzues
05-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Love the style.
I think the spear shaft is way too thin, bulk it out a bit, that will also give you a chance to play with the wood texture and the shading of it.
Also the spear and the shield both look a bit too close to the body, the spear you can probably get away with but I'd move the shield further to the left away from the body thereby giving his arm more room to hold it.
Not sure about the chain mail. It's ok but...
keep it coming

WooHooo
05-01-2008, 05:11 PM
Thx Tymo! You are 100% right about the shield and the spear. iŽlll work on that. About the chain, it seems to be very tight... Thanks a lot for your suggestons!

Greenham
05-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Looking pretty good, mate. I don't have any experience with this style of drawing so I can't be of much help to you.

I'd have to say that the chain mail looks quite horrible, I'm afraid. It completely flattens your image. You need to add shading and have the links in the chain change direction as they flow over the body beneath. This is no easy task you've chosen to undertake. I'd suggest searching for some reference images on the net.

What's with the red ribbon? It's incongruous with the rest of the image and your orc character. I'd also make your flag a lot more tattered, not just at the end. At the moment it looks too clean and intact to me.

What's the strand of green right of his ear? (Hair, another ribbon?) It's blowing against the wind some how. Fix that.

Good luck.

WooHooo
05-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Thanks greenham! You are right about the chain mail, IŽll be working on that, maybe iŽll add some armor over it.

About the ribbons, they come from the back of his head like accesories to the hair style. The wind comes from the back to, like envolving his head, thats why the green ribbon may look against the other wind directions. (sorry for my english)

Greenham
05-03-2008, 12:32 AM
Your English is fine, friend. Too many forum members are nervous about their English fluency, I feel. If I use any words or phrases that are foreign to you, please, ask for clarification. I'm happy to provide it.

If that is the case, your flag is blowing in the wrong direction. It should be more anti-clockwise, if you take the flag pole as the axis. This would probably move it mostly out of frame, though. Personally, I'd leave the flag and adjust or remove the green ribbon. Chances are, most viewers won't notice it consciously - but you will always know it's there; And the sub-conscious eye is very good at picking up small optical discrepancies and errors, providing the viewer with a certain unease about what they're seeing. You're work could look 'wrong' to them, even if they can't pin-point why.

Also, on a second viewing, the whites of the eyes could use a tad of shading to give them depth and shape. Just a little bit, though.

MBarrettara
05-03-2008, 06:22 PM
I'll have to jump on the bandwagon in saying that I don't really like the chainmail, in fact I'm quite fond of the shirt that you had in the original drawing. However, I think the chainmail could work perfectly if you follow the suggestions people have been putting out there, because I agree that it flattens the image as it is.
I personally think that the individual links on the chainmail need to be a bit bigger, and also it would help if they were drawn out, because the way it is now (superimposed in photoshop I'm assuming), it sort of stands out and holds the image back a bit.
I really love where this image is going, though: The muscles on the guy are really nicely rendered, and the expression and feeling of the character are perfect! Keep at it!

WooHooo
05-04-2008, 12:54 AM
thank you guys. IŽll continue working on it this week. if anyone has more suggestions, plz donŽt hesitate telling me.

CGTalk Moderation
05-04-2008, 12:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.