PDA

View Full Version : www.hdri-locations.com

suurland
04-29-2008, 03:05 PM
Hi,

Just wanted to announce that Iíve opened a new website at www.hdri-locations.com (http://www.hdri-locations.com/) where Iíll be selling HDRi maps with matching backplates for use in virtual car photography.

All HDRi maps are in 11500x5750 and all backplates are in 4368x2912. All hdri-locations comes with 1 HDRi map and several backplates so multiple images can be produced from each location. When a purchase is made the files will be available for instant download.

http://www.hdri-locations.com/hdrilocations/showcase.jpg

Have closer look at www.hdri-locations.com (http://www.hdri-locations.com/) more examples of what can be done is on the site. If there is any question I'll be happy to help

/Thomas Suurland

vfx
04-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Great work! I see you have the genius Thomas Surrland involved. :)

Would be nice if you had some tuts on doing that stuff too. Lighting/Textures/Rendering etc then it might be a little more worth the 120 euro price tags.. :P

AJ
04-29-2008, 04:05 PM
I see you have the genius Thomas Surrland involved.
Not to mention his face!

I was going to say that 120 Euro is a little steep for one HDRI, but the number of backplates in each pack is impressive.

Are you considering any packages bulk/discounts?

suurland
04-29-2008, 04:14 PM
vfx: Suurland is not involved.. he is making EVERYTHING, as it's me!

AJ: The price is not for one hdr map, it's for the whole package, with just a hdr map you can't make proper renderings of cars. i think the price is fair and the lowest on the market for hdr map in that quality and resolution. I have not considered making any bulk packages yet as the page only just went online, but if I can sell anything then I for sure wont rule it out for the future.

/Thomas

vfx
04-29-2008, 04:22 PM
vfx: Suurland is not involved.. he is making EVERYTHING, as it's me!
/Thomas

Ohh how stupid of me!! That's what you get for not looking at the OP avatar!!
Sorry Thomas.. one of those days I guess.

Now given its you - and I've always considered ur car renders the top examples, you should definitely make some new tutorials and sell them too. :)

ChewyPixels
04-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Nice! Bookmarked!

CapnPanic
04-29-2008, 05:48 PM
Those are some huge HDRIs! Can you provide any insight on your capture technique? Are these from a Sphereon, are they stitched together from stills, are they from a chrome sphere (I assume not, but you never know)? Just curious here :)

mushroomgod
04-29-2008, 06:49 PM
i dont think there Sphereon (there was one for sale on ebay last week $15k!) i think the sphereon has a maximum res of about 10k

I think Surland has a Canon 5D and a pano head

with a canon 30d panoramic images are around 7-8k wide, but thats a 8mp camera, the 5D is a 12.8mp ff camera.

Ofcourse i could be totaly wrong!

suurland
04-29-2008, 07:28 PM
It's correct, they are stitched.

Spheron can maximum make 10000x5000 and that takes 20min to record when there is enough light, so that is quite some time, alot can change in that time period.

Also Spheron cam is VERY bad in low light situations, so if you want good quality you have to work a bit harder. Only upside I see about spheron is it's easy to use and records directly to it's own format but is converted to .hdr with one click.

/Thomas

CapnPanic
04-29-2008, 07:33 PM
Can you give any details as to lenses used and software for stitching? Feel free to say 'no' cause I realize that, when starting up a business, the last thing you want to be doing is giving away your secrets. But I'm still curious, since I'm a bit of a photo buff myself.

instinct-vfx
04-29-2008, 07:51 PM
considering spheron not to forget issues regarding bright lightsources and moving objects (hey, the sun and lights at night is why we want HDR, no ? and while you're at it try stopping a tree from moving in the wind....oh or halt the clouds :P )

Here's two examples i prepared a while back, one for brightness issues and one for motion:

suurland
04-29-2008, 07:58 PM
CapnPanic, I'll have to say no, I spend a lot of time find the right equipment and workflow so it's not something I can just tell everyone.

instinct, yeah that for sure looks like spheron :P

/Thomas

CapnPanic
04-29-2008, 08:29 PM
Suurland: I totally understand. I'll have to experiment some myself ;)

mushroomgod
04-29-2008, 08:37 PM
considering spheron not to forget issues regarding bright lightsources and moving objects (hey, the sun and lights at night is why we want HDR, no ? and while you're at it try stopping a tree from moving in the wind....oh or halt the clouds :P )

Here's two examples i prepared a while back, one for brightness issues and one for motion:

ohhh, thats pretty bad. With my setup (not as nice as suurlands) I can take a hdri pano (15 stops) in about 2-3 mins. Thats not inc setup time though (camera/laptop/tripod), but setup time would not effect the actual photos. But 20mins is kinda silly, so much can change in that time.

BTW, Suurland these look great, with all the backplates I think the cost is about right I think, and the quality looks flawless :)

instinct-vfx
04-29-2008, 08:44 PM
ohhh, thats pretty bad. With my setup (not as nice as suurlands) I can take a hdri pano (15 stops) in about 2-3 mins. Thats not inc setup time though (camera/laptop/tripod), but setup time would not effect the actual photos. But 20mins is kinda silly, so much can change in that time.

BTW, Suurland these look great, with all the backplates I think the cost is about right I think, and the quality looks flawless :)

Completely Agree. We abandoned Spheron for internal use completely. If other ppl are willing to use spherons, sell the HDRs and backplates and retouch days and days i'm fine with using them...but i wont use it myself on set with a camera-team waiting to move on :P

Regards,
Thorsten

Dias
04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Hi Suurland

Thank you for the link, it's a kind of material that cgcars-obsessed guys like me were looking for.

But I have to agree that 120 euro is not an affordable price for majority of people (especially if you are going to use 'em just for you portfolio, or if your currency is $). Are you considering some kind of non-commercial license? I see myself paying 50-60 euro for each (it's not a matter of quality, which is awesome, but of purpose: I'd like to use 'em just for my portfolio).

suurland
04-30-2008, 08:44 AM
Hi Suurland

Thank you for the link, it's a kind of material that cgcars-obsessed guys like me were looking for.

But I have to agree that 120 euro is not an affordable price for majority of people (especially if you are going to use 'em just for you portfolio, or if your currency is $). Are you considering some kind of non-commercial license? I see myself paying 50-60 euro for each (it's not a matter of quality, which is awesome, but of purpose: I'd like to use 'em just for my portfolio).

You always have to look at what your getting for the money, there is no way you can create this yourself for the same cost, and you can't buy this for less anywhere else, and you certainly can't buy the same kind of quality and amount of backplates anywhere else.

Also you have to think about what you can gain from buying something (not just hdri-locations from me) it might take your work to a whole new level which could lead to a more high profile job, or get more projects if your freelancing, I'm not sure about you personally as i don't know what you are doing now.

But to answer your question I havn't thought about making non-commercial licenses. My initial thought is it would be to hard to manage, but I'll think about it.

/Thomas

instinct-vfx
04-30-2008, 09:17 AM
I gotta say that while i understand that the price might seem high when you're a freelancer, but i find the price perfectly okay. And i way prefer the pricing over licensing schemes that involves having to send a sales request and complicated calculations depending on the type of license, the usage region and if you have a pet at home.

The price is perfectly fair regarding the quality and the product i'd say. Maybe some special case that permits Thomas to use the image of "non commercial" users for the examples page in trade against a discount of some kind ? In the end if you want it for your portfolio that IS a commercial use, aint it ? :D

Kind Regards,
Thorsten

Dias
04-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I know that I won't find this material anywhere, that's why I was asking for some kind of discount. :bowdown:

Non-commercial license probably would be a pain to manage, I agree, how about some discounts on multiple purchase? I'm gonna buy 1 for sure, would be great if I can save a little on 1+1. :drool:

suurland
04-30-2008, 11:11 AM
If you want to buy multiple then just send me a mail at info@hdri-locations.com (http://forums.cgsociety.org/info@hdri-locations.com) and I'm sure we can work something out.. and that goes for everyone else too.

/Thomas

Dias
04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Thank you very much, I'll write you when I have some money on my Visa. :drool:

ChewyPixels
04-30-2008, 02:54 PM
I think the price is fair for the type of quality. As another option, you can offer a smaller size/lower quality for those on a budget. :shrug:

vfx
04-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Just had another thought Thomas, perhaps for future hdri products you could also create some quicktime pans. That would be an awesome addition. :P

suurland
04-30-2008, 03:23 PM
jedi-juice, yeah, that's an option too, I'll think about it.

vfx, I'm not sure what you mean, what would you use them for, just to preview the hdr map or?

/Thomas

Marcel
04-30-2008, 09:56 PM
vfx, I'm not sure what you mean, what would you use them for, just to preview the hdr map or?
/Thomas

A 3D preview can be really helpful to see how for example the clouds look. When streched out some clouds can look really big, but when seen in a VR environment they turn out to be very small.

Personally I would suggest using a Flash based VR solution, since not everybody has Quicktime. Check out this program, it creates a Flash VR file in 30 seconds:

http://gardengnomesoftware.com/pano2vr.php

Great work on the HDRs, I love the locations! It must have taken you tons of time to organize all the shoots.

Jozvex
05-01-2008, 02:04 AM
You've really done a great job! Now I just have to choose which one I want first... :curious:

suurland
05-01-2008, 11:08 AM
Marcel, I very well might add that.. thanks for the link I'll check out the various method to make it, but it will for sure be flash as I'm on winxp64 so qtvr doesn't work at all.

Jozvex, sounds great :)

RagingBull
10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice site.
Will most likely purchase a few shortly, or at least make some requests for a project I've just started mate.
:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2008, 02:08 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.