PDA

View Full Version : particles to drive ncloth animation

AnimZiggy
04-29-2008, 02:00 PM
hi guys,

i looked but couldn't find a solution, being noob in scripting and all doesn't help.

so i have this 15 paper pieces that rotate nicely in a tornado style animation. i did that with particles and fields. i set an intial state. client wants them to behave a bit like flags.. well bend a little, rotate etc.

can i somehow make the particle animation to drive an ncloth system? somehow pin the cloth pieces to each particle? i tried to simulate the same animation with an ncloth following duncan's confetti tutorial but i just couldn't make the vortex the way i wanted..

or is ther an other solution?

excuse the basic question but the dynamics are a very confusing world to me.

Aikiman
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
Try instancing the polymesh (nCloth) to the particles. Get rid of the gravity on the nCloth and wind direction and play with the wind noise a little to get some ripples. If you want some rotation you need to create a custom attribute with creation and runtime expressions and link that to the rotation in the instancer section of your particle shape.

For more realism you would need to bake out a nice nCloth simulation and convert a poly mesh to each frame. There might be a mel script out there that does that, I know there is one for keyframed animation, it may work here as well. Then instance the cycle to your particles so that your you can have a random start frame for each particle.

EDIT: Or even bake out a deformer and mesh to get some nice rolling paper effect an instance that cycle instead of the nCloth one.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 11:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.