PDA

View Full Version : Lighting conditions as a compositor?

Layer01
04-29-2008, 10:02 AM
I hope this question doesn't sound naive.
I Just started out in a company as a Junior comper, however i am technically more of a generalist atm as i am doing a bit of everything (eg: 3d work right now).
This is my first "official" job and so far its all going smoothly except for one thing.

I'm finding the lighting conditions in the comping room to be very very dark.
Basically there is no light at all apart from a little bit of natural light that seeps in through the shutters and some bounce light from the other monitors.

Now compositing aside, this seems like a terrible lighting setup to me and everything i've read about occupational health and safty backs me up. But according to the other guys this is norml for compositors?
I can understand the need for dark rooms for colour checking and such but i would have thought that a neutral coloured, ceiling mounted, ambiant bounce light source (what a mouthfull) would be perfectly ok and not destroy the comping environment as well as save our eyes.. but maybe not, what about monitor hoods?

How do you people deal with this? what's normal and whats not? cause call me crazy but if continuing down the comper's path means constant eye strain i think i'll take another route lol

Tagger
04-29-2008, 12:43 PM
the basic rule is, work in the environment the audience is gonne watch it.

beaker
04-29-2008, 07:34 PM
Yup, this is normal in 90% of the offices I have worked in doing compositing. Though usually there is light overhead but it is dimmed down quite low.

scrimski
04-29-2008, 08:42 PM
In most cases the only light is some indirect light behind the monitor, sometimes a small spot on my keyboard/wacom/mouse.
I even close the curtains when I have to work at daytime( I prefer night shifts) - on screen reflections are an annoying problem.

When editing, it's different mainly because directors/clients usually don't like to sit in the dark.

Layer01
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Thanks for the replies guys.
I understand why they keep the rooms dark, i just think the room i'm in atm in combination with where i am sitting has a VERY poor lighting setup.

There is a difuse lamp behind me which solves the problem when its on, but its light temperature is too warm for the others doing colour work. So i have to keep it off.
meanwhile the others sit parallel to the windows, so the little light that comes in acts as secondary light for them whereas it has little effect once it reaches me.

besides from what i've read natural light is the worst in this situation as there is no control over it.

I think i'll get a small led lamp just to light up a small area on my desk as thats all i need. In fact that was my first idea to solve the problem, cause right now i am getting some serious eye strain :sad: and that sucks.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 10:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.