PDA

View Full Version : Discreet Lustre

andre_alder
05-14-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey,

What is Lustre? Is it a software like Combustion, running in PCs or it run over Unix, like Flame or Inferno?
Could you give some more informations about Lustre?

Thanx
Andre

GrantKay
05-15-2003, 01:37 PM
http://www.discreet.com/products/lustre/

Regards
Grant

DISCREET UK

Hullabaloo
06-04-2003, 01:11 PM
lustre? i never knew discreet finally made a good color correction system! good going boys!

arctor
06-21-2003, 04:36 AM
ummm...the "Discreet Color Corrector" (as seen in combustion and the systems) is considered 'pretty damn good'...
Luster, as I understand it, is for digital grading, not just color correction and is mostly (?) Colossus in a new form (with a bunch of discreet bells and whistles :) )

dg
06-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Well, acctually all they did was switch the interface colors and the icons. Discreet Lustre = 5D Colossus.

See ya!:thumbsup:

TapioKa
07-02-2003, 06:50 PM
Hello everyone,

Lustre looks to be very nice. Anyone know what the MRSP will be on this product?

Thanks,

Tapi.

Rickmeister
01-11-2006, 01:35 PM
Now we are alot of months furder... many users gain... and alot things are clearer now...
so what are the words about lustre these days...?

I saw some impressive presentation @ the last IBC in amsterdam, actually that whas the first time I saw any of it... It worked smooth, quick and nice, but why should this program be so much different from de colorgrading effects plugins for After Effects, or Avid's?

dprgb
01-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Costs over $200,000 US.

Rickmeister
01-12-2006, 01:17 AM
Costs over $200,000 US.

unlimited resources ;) why is it so expensive?

Aneks
01-12-2006, 02:31 AM
Lustre is aimed at the high end Digital Intermediate market. It sits along side Flame, smoke and inferno as part of the "suite based" products. It is fast and has realtime playback.

dprgb
01-12-2006, 04:39 PM
unlimited resources ;) why is it so expensive?

All DI equipment is expensive, partly because you need a lot of processing power, and also because you need huge amounts of bandwidth to move data around. Also, it's such a niche field there's no 'volume sales' to bring the prices down. The hardware control panel itself is somewhere around $30k (the Filmlight Baselight blackboard is around $65k)

Actually, I read somewhere someone asked the head of Da Vinci Systems if DI will ever be less expensive/more affordable and his answer was, "No."

beaker
01-13-2006, 12:23 AM
It worked smooth, quick and nice, but why should this program be so much different from de colorgrading effects plugins for After Effects, or Avid's?Have you ever tried to color correct an entire 120 minute movie in After Effects? You can, but not everyone has a month to render the entire thing. You pay for speed.

Rickmeister
01-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Have you ever tried to color correct an entire 120 minute movie in After Effects? You can, but not everyone has a month to render the entire thing. You pay for speed.

but isnt the speed also because of some special made hardware? In that case the program is not that much different...

beaker
01-13-2006, 07:36 PM
but isnt the speed also because of some special made hardware? In that case the program is not that much different...

Lustre is a normal pc. It's just all the additional hardware they add into it. Big fast framestore(fiberchannel) so you can play 2k plates off the disk without caching it to ram. HD card from dvs: http://www.dvs.de/english/products/
Quadro FX 4500, etc... A lot of it is the software too.

In that case the program is not that much different...
If you put AE, Shake, Combustion, etc... on the same hardware it still isn't going to go as fast as Lustre.

thatoneguy
01-13-2006, 10:29 PM
Also lustre is designed to be used in conjuncture with a 2k projector so that you can see (?using 3D LUTs?) what the release print should look like. If you're looking for fancy bells and whistles, you'll find much deeper cc tools inside of Combustion, FFI, Smoke etc...

Although I was talking to the Lustre artist at Modern Digital in Seattle, WA and he was saying that the next big release of lustre is going to be integrating 3d tracking in really cool new ways. DI is a very young industry, I'm really interested to see where we go in the next couple of years.

Kai01W
01-14-2006, 02:52 PM
Having only seen the demos, I'd also add that the workflow/interface in lustre seems to be streamlined and optimized to work on long narrative projects.
I simply cannot imagine to grade a 90 min movie in a standard desktop app, unless I have lots and lots of time....

-k

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2006, 02:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.