PDA

View Full Version : Terragen 2 public alpha released

Mr Moose
04-28-2008, 10:33 PM
This should be the feature locked version of the final release. Lots of new enhancements and optimizations - most notable, multi-threading.

Just a heads-up for anyone that's looking to buy it, it's still currently available at the barging low pre-release price, so now would be a good time to buy with the new enhancements and whatnot. Bare in mind it's still alpha though, so does have the odd bug / quirk.

Users' Gallery - http://www.planetside.co.uk/gallery/f/tg2
Announcement post - http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=3901.msg40885#new

:)

DuttyFoot
04-28-2008, 10:40 PM
been looking forward to this

cbamber85
04-29-2008, 12:03 AM
Takes me back to when I used to use it for making sky boxes for Half-Life 1 - time flies!

Shletten
04-29-2008, 03:32 AM
Like the marine in Starcraft 2 ''Damn it's about time''. We've been waiting for 3 years...

FreakWizz
04-29-2008, 10:52 AM
I think the thread title is a little misleading:
It's only an Alpha relase for pre-purchases, and it's not released until next week.
The updated public demo version and full release are still some way off a public release.

Mr Moose
04-29-2008, 01:41 PM
I think the thread title is a little misleading:
It's only an Alpha relase for pre-purchasesI've updated the thread title to reflect this, but in all fairness, it is an alpha release. How many alphas of commercial software are open to non-paying users.

and it's not released until next week.The public alpha was released yesterday - that announcement post I linked to was from last week.

Wizdoc
04-29-2008, 03:45 PM
It's been a long-time coming. The technology preview they released ages ago was pretty interesting but not enough to give any definite representation of the actual quality of the final program.

But the gallery images are looking extremely nice. Vue 6.5. has been a reigning champ for a long time when it comes to terrain generation but if the gallery is a solid representation of the stuff it can produce right out of the box, then we have a winner. And even if not, it's good to have competition at least, as photorealistic landscape generation is becoming an indispensable tool in arch-viz and mattepainting.

Szos
05-02-2008, 06:27 PM
Terragen 2 was looking like the Duke Nuken Forever of the 3D landscape world.

I <3 the first one, but this one has taken way too long of a time to get here... hope it's worth it. The art in the gallery looks great, but wondering how much of those shots are untouched, unaltered and using only the base package?

Mr Moose
05-02-2008, 07:36 PM
It's been a long-time coming. The technology preview they released ages ago was pretty interesting but not enough to give any definite representation of the actual quality of the final program. Workflow wise, the current release is pretty much the same as the first Tech Preview.

The art in the gallery looks great, but wondering how much of those shots are untouched, unaltered and using only the base package?Well Terragen doesn't generate veggies, so there's your answer :). TG is not Vue - Planetside are far too small to match Vue feature for feature. Instead, they're concentrating on what they do best - producing a photorealistic renderer. In future, they've promised better integration specs which will help mitigate any shortcomings feature wise - from a pro standpoint I'd imagine this is the way to go anyway.

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.