PDA

View Full Version : Ik is not sticking to the joints

Levitateme
05-14-2003, 08:18 PM
When i move my ankle ik up it should bring my ball ik and my toe ik with it. instead the ik of the toe/ball stay were they are, the joints move up while pointing at tehre ik. This isnt suppose to happen the joints should move and the ik should be stuck to it. my friend said turn on STICKY i tried that nothing happend does anyone know whats going on? also i am using MAYA 5 so im not sure if that has anything to do with it.

galactor
05-15-2003, 05:53 PM
This problem occures when you parentor group the IkHandles.
I think it would not be right to see it as an problem, because it is good way to make an good rig for your character. The animation of the foot will be a lot easier this way.

::Galactor::

dmcgrath
05-17-2003, 05:29 AM
You are a little wrong there, Levi. When you move the joints the IK are not supposed to follow the joints. The Joints are meant to follow the IK. So, when you move the ankle IK the bones will follow, but the other IK's need to have something to tell them to move also. At the very least you need to parent the toe and ball IK under the ankle. But doing what galactor mentioned will give you better results.

http://www.jawa9000.com/technical/foot-roll/foot-roll.htm

This is one of the better tut's for the foot roll out there. It works great after you set it up. It may take a couple of tries, so don't get discouraged.

Levitateme
05-17-2003, 05:45 AM
I am following the Jason Schliefer rig set up from siggraph, im doing exactly what he does. i just giving up on it in maya 5. i will model and do all my jazz there, then in maya 4.5 ill animate until i can figure out how to make all the IK/joints work like how they do in 4.5 in maya 5. thanks guys

jschleifer
05-17-2003, 12:02 PM
The foot rig should work exactly the same in 5.0 and 4.5.. there's nothing funky going on there that's 4.5 special.

are the ikHandles parented under the correct nodes? What node are you moving which makes the ikHandles not "follow"?

-jason

olivier georges
05-17-2003, 02:31 PM
hi,
i try the new ik in maya 5.0, and i have some weird behaviors with the ik handle, for example, if i create a three joint structure for an arm , and i put an ikHandle on that chain, when i move the root (joint1) the ik handle doesn`t stay with the last joint like in the previous version of maya, but stay snap in its initial pos in the world... this is a really strange behavior compare to the one in maya 4.5, perhaps it`s the new ik/fk system , it`s weird, in those conditions,it`s hard to setup a reverse foot setup , for example, the foot of the monkeyRig scene file on the DVD fast animation rigs from Jason Schleifer don`t work anymore when you change the attribut BallLift, because the toeIk stay pin in the world pos....whereas everything is ok in maya 4.5 for this rig... I hope it`s not a bug in maya 5.0 but a new way to work with their ik system....

Olivier.

PS : This DVD from Jason is like the first one, EXCELLENT learning tool, thanX Jason.

TRi-14
05-17-2003, 05:51 PM
Hey,

The reverse foot setup works perfect for me in 4.5 and in 5.0. i have no issues at all. im curious if you have weird grouping or possibly moving the incorrect node as jason asked. good luck :)

Chris

maybe you make make up a dummy scene file that has the problem, and let us give it a shot to see the problem..... :)

olivier georges
05-17-2003, 08:56 PM
hi,
i have just loaded the scene in maya and try the ballLift attribut...

the only way to have the ik handle follow, is to create key en scrubbing the time line....

olivier.

Levitateme
05-17-2003, 09:22 PM
Ok i sent put up a pic of a few things that are happening. sorry for the quality. but i had to be in the limits you know. this is just a exp of whats happening, the ik is either staying were it should and the joints are not rolling were the ik is. i had a 3rd pic, but i couldnt post it was just of the toe roll, the joints were not moving along with the ik, just like in the pic. i hope this helps, i also hope im not doing something wrong i did jasons tutorial verbatum!...i yiyi i just hope i find the answer i can take all the criticizing. i just want to know whats goingo on, i also have enable IK FK off im sure that is a +

thanks

jschleifer
05-17-2003, 09:27 PM
strange.. same file that works fine in 4.5 doesn't work in 5.0?

have you checked the pivot locations? maybe they're in the wrong place?

the ik looks like it's sticking, but the back ikHandle is pivoting around the wrong point..

-jason

danielpk
05-18-2003, 09:23 AM
Levitateme

You seem to have forgotten to freeze transform on the foot control BEFORE you start including it in your rig. The footCtrl on the dvd is scaled like 0.79 0.751 1. Any child of it will move only in its lokal space so the behaviour in the picture is correct (but unwanted). It rotates on an elliptical path if the scale is not uniform.

Daniel

Levitateme
05-18-2003, 10:42 AM
hey dan uk thanks for that, so i should start over freeze my foot control then start parenting the IK to the nodes?

danielpk
05-18-2003, 11:04 AM
Hi Levitateme

Yes, you could start over, freeze transform the control and then start building the rig.

Or you could try to correct it in your existing scene by unparenting everything from the footCtrl (including the iks). Then do a freeze transform (select only scale in the options) on the control and the empty transforms (which are duplicates of the footCtrl). You may need to unlock the scale attrs before doing the freeze. After that you need to recreate the former hierarchy by parenting again.

Daniel

Levitateme
05-18-2003, 11:19 AM
ok ill give that a try it would be great if that works thanks again.

olivier georges
05-18-2003, 11:49 AM
hi,
i have not rigged anything, i have only loaded the scene file file from jason dvd in maya 5.0, and the leg setup from monkey rig don`t work anymore, to have the good refresh, i have to set key , and in that case only, the ik handle are refresh when i scrub the time line... i think it`s a problem in the refresh... but the behavior is really strange...

Olivier.

Levitateme
05-18-2003, 06:29 PM
welp there you go, i knew it wastnt just me cause it works perfect in maya 4.5. i loaded the scene last night also i cant remember what wasnt working right though. something wasnt working right though.

olivier georges
05-18-2003, 07:00 PM
yes, i think there is a problem in the refresh of the joints controled by the ik handle, i think it`s du to the new ik/fk system.

Olivier.

Levitateme
05-18-2003, 07:02 PM
i tried turning off the enable ikfk that seemed to help me last time i tried doing the tutorial, have you tried taht yet. any luck?

FLGirlKris
05-24-2003, 07:50 AM
are the ikHandles parented under the correct nodes? What node are you moving which makes the ikHandles not "follow"?
-jason [/B]

Oh my goodness! You saved my life! I'm working on my first rig, and I thought I had everything peachy -- I could play with all of the controls, and things worked well enough. Then I went to animate and everything went down the tubes. The little IK crosshares were stuck in place and somewhere between trying to set keyframes and get it back to bind pose, the skin was actually popping away from the bones (among other erratic behavior)...really nuts. Parenting the antennae to a dummy IK on the head bone and the arm controllers (but not the wrist controllers constrained to them) to the bone in the spine seems to have fixed it!! Now I just have to see if I can add in all the IKs I deleted in trying to track down the problem and parent them correctly. I was going to cry, because it worked so beautifully, up until I started setting keyframes!!

Oh! It's so beautiful now! Thanks!!!!

I now know the importance of good parenting! ;)

olivier georges
05-24-2003, 09:52 AM
yes, turning off the ik fk control seems to work, but there is still some refresh problems in the display of the ik fk arms....

olivier

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.