PDA

View Full Version : RenderMask helper tool

Newstream
04-28-2008, 04:40 PM
Hi,

Here's a quick little helper tool for rendering out selected portions of an image to patch over errors found in an original image without the need to re-render out the entire scene. This is an Xpresso controlled variation / continuation of Anders Kjellbergs original idea with some COFFEE help from Tobias Pfob.
This isn't the most elegant solution but it gets the job done.

Application:
1) Make the RenderMask a child of the desired camera.
2) Perform a "Center to Parent" command
3) Select the RenderMask and play around with the sliders and settings to interactively mask out a desired area.
4) Render out (avoid rendering over the original)
5) Patch over the original in PhotoShop.

Enjoy / Alex

c-montesano
04-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Thanks for posting this Alex.

I've made a few tweaks that I figured I'd share.

It will now automatically align to the current render camera, it will use the resolution from the active render settings, and the parameters (mask size, mask position, distance) are specified as percentages.

-Chris

ChrisCousins
04-29-2008, 10:28 PM
Thanks to both of you, this has gone straight into my object library, great stuff.

C

Thanks for posting this Alex.

I've made a few tweaks that I figured I'd share.

It will now automatically align to the current render camera, it will use the resolution from the active render settings, and the parameters (mask size, mask position, distance) are specified as percentages.

-Chris

georgedrakakis
04-29-2008, 11:14 PM
tnx to both of you, great stuff indeed.

SilverCity
04-29-2008, 11:47 PM
Thanks, Alex and Chris. A great time saver.

Blabberlicious
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
brilliant.

Is there a way to subvert this into a custom safe area field, with a semi-opaque mask zone?

That would be super handy, because I often work with locked off camera shota, with internal areas that will have type/flyouts in pist that I'd like to be able to reference when blocking the cam.

While I can use background guides - it's obviousy of limited use - and foregorund guides only appear in renders.

thanks for this, and any thoughts you have on my humble request.

Newstream
04-30-2008, 08:25 AM
Hey, awesome tweaks and improvements Chris!
Thanks for improving my train wreck and making it more user friendly. :beer:

I really dig the auto-lock to currently used camera feature. Anything that ends up saving a second or two of time always goes into my Object Library.

Cheers :) Alex

neitrok
04-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Hello, thanks for the tool at first.

brilliant.

Is there a way to subvert this into a custom safe area field, with a semi-opaque mask zone?

You can make it temporarily semi-opaque by assigning semi-opaque material to the boolean object.

But it would be also possible to make a rectangle instead of the boole object to see both rendered and not rendered objects. I cant unfortunately work with xpresso, but may be it doesn´t have to be so difficult.

asarya
04-30-2008, 11:25 AM
Thankyou both for this tool, was doing this manually with a plane with a hole cut out of it.

Not sure if it is a bug or something I don't understand, but with Chris' version, the mask cube is locked to 0,0,0 size no matter where I move the sliders, and it also doesn't automatically lock to the render camera...

In any case, thanks for your work guys.

c-montesano
04-30-2008, 12:32 PM
Not sure if it is a bug or something I don't understand, but with Chris' version, the mask cube is locked to 0,0,0 size no matter where I move the sliders, and it also doesn't automatically lock to the render camera...

What version are you running? I saved the scene in 10.1.

raycerx
04-30-2008, 12:44 PM
this is GREAT! thanks guys for sharing... you do not realize how much time is spent doing this manually until you pop this helper into your scene, real helpful.
Cheers,
D

ilay
04-30-2008, 12:48 PM
thanks a'lot!!

3dj
04-30-2008, 01:52 PM
Thanks guys! this will help me ALOT!

You rock!
-Jim

asarya
04-30-2008, 01:57 PM
What version are you running? I saved the scene in 10.1.
Chris, the version is 10.102

c-montesano
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Ok, that may be the problem... I saved mine in 10.111, which is a free upgrade.

superblack
05-27-2008, 07:54 AM
Hi all,

I was hoping to use this nice little tool for a certain "effect" I'm trying to achieve: making an object (text) stick flat in front of the camera like a 2D overlay, but being in 3D and therefore gets reflected, etc. in 3D space.

Is there a way to make this RenderMask setup work with a moving camera? Or am I doing something wrong, because as soon as I animate the camera the RenderMask object doesn't stay in place ( when I render it out ) ...

Thanks in advance.

sascha

Per-Anders
05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
Why not simply put the text as a child of the camera?

superblack
05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
Well ... :sad:
... because I didn't knew it is as simple as this ... :D
Thanks Per...

sascha

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.