PDA

View Full Version : Silencing 'Missing External Files'

RobGalanakis
04-28-2008, 04:22 PM
In a script I'm writing, I'm using one version of max to launch others via ShellLaunch. I create a postFileOpen callback to run what I need to run on said file, however, since I am not doing a 'loadMaxFile' command where I can do 'quiet:true' the Missing External Files dialog box is popping up. I need to silence this somehow- ideally through some setting, or -"" via the shelllaunch, or failing that, going in and automatically removing any missing bitmaps.

I'm sure this is mighty confusing and if there is no easy answer I can explain more.

ZeBoxx2
04-28-2008, 05:43 PM
o_O

F1 > |Search| > {silent} > List Topics
Command Line Option: -silent

Added -silent command line switch. Setting this switch turns off all dialogs that are not displayed while net rendering, and by code that checks the Default Action system before displaying a dialog. This includes MAXScript's messageBox, queryBox, and yesNoCancelBox. queryBox will return false and yesNoCancelBox will return #cancel when silent mode is set.

See also:
Quiet Mode

RobGalanakis
04-28-2008, 08:04 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I type:

DOSCommand "C:\\test.max -silent"

it should open the file without the error dialog? It doesn't seem to work (ie, the dialog still pops up).

ZeBoxx2
04-28-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think the command line does work that way, actually.

Try with the full path to your 3ds Max executable and then the filename and the rest as the arguments.
e.g.
DOSCommand "c:\\3dsmax8\\3dsmax.exe C:\\test.max -silent"
or perhaps
DOSCommand "c:\\3dsmax8\\3dsmax.exe -silent C:\\test.max"

RobGalanakis
04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
Thank you my friend, that worked! DOS is like a black box to me but it seems to become more and more essential, I really need to be able to work with it more. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2008, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.