PDA

View Full Version : Gnomon DVD The Puppet rig

BertMac
04-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Hey there
I am about to buy the character rigging DVD from Gnomon "The puppet rig"
but i was wondering if anyone have any experience with this dvd,
and how does it compare to Dvd's like Fahrenheit Digital or the Animator Friendly Rigging ones.
I did some rigging before but not really heavy (digital tutors) and i wanted to step up :D
sorry for my english
So thanks in advance
bertmac

JamSession
04-30-2008, 03:55 PM
I personally do not own the latest gnomon one, but just as a general guide of reference from past training dvd's I have purchased

-Aaron Holly (Fahrenheit digital) Is great if you have a solid understanding of rigging. He goes much deeper than the basics. Since you are relatively new to rigging I wouldn't recommend this as a first choice, some things may not make sense. Once you fully understand rigging, constraints, then this is a great dvd, a good purchase!

-Jason Schleifer (Animator Friendly) First this guy is a great animator, so his stuff is based on easy to use rigs. Which everyone should watch. His stuff has everything from basics such as gimbal lock, all the way to complex hand and arm setups. (my personal favorite that every TD should own)

-Digital Tutors These guys are a great starting point. I wouldn't recommend it to a guy that has +2 years of experience rigging. They keep everything simple and explain everything in great detail which is nice when you are starting off.

-Gnomon These guys are all about getting from point A to point B without the explanations of why you need to do point A and why you need to do point B. Exapmle "to create a constraint just select the sphere and then select the cube, now you have a constraint" They never explain why you need a constraint and why a constraint is better than a parent child relationship. If you are very well rounded and understand maya and rigging these are good to learn different approaches to creating something. When you are learning it lacks explanations of "why" you need to do certain things.

Xeash
05-05-2008, 01:48 PM
Absolutely agreed with JamSession! :thumbsup:
he got the point...and looks like reading my thoughts

Rigger "powers" (if I can say like that) grows with deep and strong understanding how are basics things work in Maya (like transformations computing, DAG connections computing & etc.)
So it's very bad that we don't have much good tutorials and info for novice and intermediate levels of riggers.They need to find a lot by themselves(But maybe this is good? someway of "will training" :rolleyes: )

Buexe
05-05-2008, 02:42 PM
I would say that the Jason Schleifer DVDs are my absolute favourite. They are extremely well done and take you from the very basics to the nice stuff. There is even some MEL stuff explained along with some very useful MEL scripts.

BertMac
05-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks guy's for the replies
i was thinking about it the same way, so i ordered the Jason Schleifer ones

Still i am very interested in how the Gnomon dvd is

So thanks in advance

the_podman
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
I own the Puppet Rig DVD and it's not bad, however, it's fairly introductory level. It's also geared towards a game pipeline if that's what you're interested in.

JS Animator Friendly is the best of the bunch and you usually get the most useful rigging tips from animators/riggers.

The Aaron Holly ones are pretty good, but they need some serious work in the "editing" department. Everything is "realtime" so there are moments on the DVD where you are watching him name every joint for several minutes.

CGTalk Moderation
05-07-2008, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.