PDA

View Full Version : quicktime start capture crashes XSI

barbapapa
04-28-2008, 10:39 AM
quicktime crashes xsi as soon as you try to set the codec, is anyone else having this problem? I noticed this since the 7.4 update, but now my 7.1 reliable version doesent work either (it actually works for about a day and then starts crashing xsi.. i dont know if it updates something or what... but i has worked for me always and now it just doesent.)

bblevins
04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
quicktime crashes xsi as soon as you try to set the codec, is anyone else having this problem?

Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. I have the problem with both 7.3 and 7.4 of QT. What flavour of windows are you using? I'm on XP64.

Hmm.. just tried on WindowsXP with success. Maybe a QT-XP64 issue.

3dtutorial
04-28-2008, 03:36 PM
Yeah, I noticed this yesterday. I have the problem with both 7.3 and 7.4 of QT. What flavour of windows are you using? I'm on XP64.

Hmm.. just tried on WindowsXP with success. Maybe a QT-XP64 issue.

I reckon this is because QuickTime is a native 32 bit application -- NOT 64 bit.

Cheers,

J

Brainsells
04-28-2008, 06:26 PM
In your control panel, open up the quicktime options, and try setting the Video mode to Safe "GDI Only" (in the advanced tab).

Sil3
04-28-2008, 06:57 PM
We are having the exact same issues on a fresh XP 64 Install... funny thing is that it worked on the exact same machine with Vista64...but my co-worker couldnt stand Vista so we formated it today and Downgraded (or Upgraded dependes on POVs :p) to XP64.

ajcgi
04-29-2008, 11:38 AM
Throwing a spanner in the works, my quicktime started doing this on my home machine a month or two ago and I didn't even update it. It's 7.1 i think, xp32. Maybe a reinstall of quicktime? May not solve the probs with you guys on xp64 though. I do all my captures to cinepak avis. Old format but reliable.

Sil3
04-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Just a quick thought....

To the people that are having troubles with QT either on XP64 or Vista64... do you guys have QuadCores or Dual Quadcores Xeons by the chance?

Only asking because we have XP64 for like 3 years on a BOXX Dual Core AMD machine and it has always behaved nicely, but on QuadCores and Dual Xeon QuadCores it gets really anoying...

The strange thing is that on the same Dual Quad Xeon on Vista it didnt crashed XSi but we noticed a lag on Qts Audio, now it already crashed both our Dual Quads Xeons (PC and MacPro both with XP64), the dual AMD keeps running it without any troubles.

Brainsells
04-29-2008, 09:46 PM
We thought it might have something to do with Nvidia 8 series cards, or their new/recent drivers. It's hard to say what causes it.

bblevins
04-30-2008, 06:18 PM
In your control panel, open up the quicktime options, and try setting the Video mode to Safe "GDI Only" (in the advanced tab).

It worked! Thanks Brainsells for the tip.

To the people that are having troubles with QT either on XP64 or Vista64... do you guys have QuadCores or Dual Quadcores Xeons by the chance?

We've got Dual Quads and Quadro FX4600 video cards.

barbapapa
04-30-2008, 06:21 PM
I have uninstalled completly quicktime and activated only GDI mode on the advanced preferences tab, and now it captures. But it takes ages to start and when finishes ages to load the clip...

Sil3
04-30-2008, 07:17 PM
I have uninstalled completly quicktime and activated only GDI mode on the advanced preferences tab, and now it captures. But it takes ages to start and when finishes ages to load the clip...

Yap exact same behaviour in here... we scrapped QT for now...

CoolCalb
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
It happened to me many times on XP32, untill I nailed the problem (at least for me).

I used to install Quicktime with Itunes, then after getting angry at it, I removed the Itunes part from the system.
Everytime I removed the Itunes software, XSI started to crash when going to the Codec
selection page, on capturing.

(The reason I used to uninstall itunes, is that I couldnt find a clean version of QT on apple's site, at that time)

So it might be worth to check this, maybe you uninstalled Itunes?
It never happened to me since.

CGTalk Moderation
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.