PDA

View Full Version : Sculpting Companion for c4d modo vs. Zbrush

kvb
04-27-2008, 08:26 PM
I know, I know, it's one of those "which app should I choose" threads. Sorry, but it's hard being a student on a tight budget. If I make the wrong decision, not only will I be stuck eating Ramen noodles... but I'll be doing it while curled up in a fetal position:D

Bottom line is this, this is the last tax return I'll be getting for a while, and I want to spend it wisely. I've been researching both of the above mentioned apps and would like your opinion on which one is a better fit for c4d. I'm hoping it's zbrush... since it's half the price of modo. But after exhaustive research, I'm actually leaning toward modo, simply because it offers much more than zbrush and seems much better documented (luxology is showing alot more of what modo is capable of than pixologic is for zbrush).

Then I lean back and say to myself "I don't need all those other features in modo. Save yourself the cash and buy more ram and a nice juicy steak dinner." Then I lean again "but what if those nifty features change my entire outlook on humanity or give me the power to levitate or something, I can't pass that up!"

See? The decision has driven me delerious:D:D:D

I'm on a mac, so if I choose zbrush I'll be stuck using that temporary windows license until they finally release it for the mac. Which almost isn't a big deal, unless it just seems like the mac version is just NEVER gonna happen for some odd reason.

I haven't downloaded the demo's yet, as I'm scared:P I'd like some opinions from unbiased c4d users before I go downloading and installing.

Thanks in advance,
kvb

Per-Anders
04-27-2008, 08:52 PM
For sculpting, nothing comes close to Z-Brush, it's just a unique thing (with a somewhat unique workflow that takes a bit of getting used to). Modo just isn't worth getting for you IMO, you would be better off getting something like Silo instead for those features (which is also a lot cheaper), it does pretty much everything better than Modo including the sculpting in my opinion.

Hilt
04-27-2008, 09:04 PM
how about Mudbox?

Magnus3D
04-27-2008, 09:09 PM
Zbrush would be the logical choice for digital sculpting, it has lots to offer with a good helpful forum. But if you wanna evolve further down the road of subdiv modeling, animation, UV mapping and texturing then Modo has lots to offer and it gets only better with each release.

As it sounds like you only wanna sculpt then go with Zbrush. It's a great application! :)

/ Magnus

kvb
04-27-2008, 09:14 PM
thanks Per:)
Never even considered Silo. Just checked it out, and for the price, I really gotta say WOW. It doesn't have many of the features of Modo that made me say WOW, but considering how much more $$$ it would take to get my hands on modo, it's really pushed it aside. I think I'm gonna download both zbrush and silo and give them both a spin. May even pick up silo (not before a test run of course) and hold off on zbrush until the mac version is finally released (though if I buy before then I'd save $100).

Either way, even if I picked up both of those, it would still be cheaper than modo.

thanks again,
kvb

kvb
04-27-2008, 09:20 PM
That's 2 votes for zbrush;)

Once I graduate and start making... well, an income of more than 0:D, I can start really considering apps like modo that just do lots of cool things (and will probobly be doing even more cool things in a couple years).

thanks,
kvb

kvb
04-27-2008, 09:24 PM
how about Mudbox?

the bad thing about the mx revolution mouse from logitech is that the scroll wheel is sometimes too fast;) Sorry I missed this.

To put it simply, I don't want Autodesk to have any of my money. I know that's a bit discriminatory, but I just can't help but think of Autodesk like the Borg of the CG industry.

LemonNado
04-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Mudbox is flat lining right now. ZBrush has no competition right now (has it ever had any?!).
ZB and C4D work together flawless. C4D can render and model the base, while ZB would nicely take care of the displacement maps for the high res detail. Modo has grown... but I would compare it more like 'C4D plus Coat3D' rather than 'C4D plus ZB'. Modo 101 was plain useless... I bought into that at the time because Peebler can make me buy a pet rock while making it so desirable that I would even try to take a bite out of it. Modo 302 is much more solid by comparison, but paying that much money.... I don't know... I'd rather buy another render engine for C4D and ZBrush and have more than Modo is right now.
Rainer

artdude12
04-27-2008, 10:05 PM
You might want to give 3D coat a look-see:

http://www.3d-coat.com/index.html

Right now it's PC only, but I think the developer said he would be open
to release a Mac version if there was enough response from the Mac community.

heathivan
04-28-2008, 05:25 AM
Be wary of Zbrush as an OSX user. A bit of searching will find a very neglected mac user base, and not just for Z3, but for plugins as well. I haven't be able to use this program since the release of IntelMacs. Zbrush was a hot little diddy for sure. But I am even more wary to upgrade to Z3 because i'm sure history will continue to repeat itself. I'm looking forward to supporting any sculpting program that will give us Mac users a fair shake.

(Come on C4d SCULPTING MODULE!)

----h

BUZZFX
04-28-2008, 06:22 AM
I would say ZBrush 3. I own it and if I ever get the workflow between Cinema 4D and ZB figured out I will really like ZBrush 3, but right now it is very painful for me to get Cinema 4D and ZBrush playing together and not fighting all the time. Paint Coat will definitely get my $$$ if and when the mac version is released in 2 months.

To put it simply, I don't want Autodesk to have any of my money. I know that's a bit discriminatory, but I just can't help but think of Autodesk like the Borg of the CG industry.

I agree with kvb, but if Mudbox is ever released for the mac I must admit it would be tempting. Like that is ever going to happen! lol. :)

LemonNado
04-28-2008, 12:44 PM
Yes, ZB and Mac is a very sad story. There is no communication from Pixologic about it either.
Rainer

prayas
04-28-2008, 05:28 PM
So how is your experience in any of these apps? I tried Mudbox against ZB as the workflow in ZB is really just... . Mudbox is the fast sculpting tool i would prefer using but it's lacking some really usefull features Zbrush has. For the pure sculpting it's far easier and with better results in less time. I don't have to bend my mind switching from c4d to MB with the navigation. Everything is where i want it to be.
I don't know i i really need the painting features ZB has as C4d comes bundled with Bodypaint these days.
As MB is now owned by this one big company i think it might also go into a good direction as money for development is not an issue.

Try as much as you can and get the app you can get the best results in the given time with.

P..:

spedler
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
Here's another vote for ZBrush - wonderful app IMO. It's not just the sculpting but texturing too. It just works so well. I've looked at Silo and Mudbox and they don't compare. The only caveat (apart from the Mac issue, which I can't believe they won't resolve soon) is the learning curve due to the interface. But once you get the hang of it, it works very well.

CGTalk Moderation
04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.