PDA

View Full Version : req: Select random element

Digee
04-27-2008, 03:44 AM
Is there a script out there, that does this? I can't find anything, and I've never maxscripted before (little short on time lately). Would this be difficult to make?

I have from Blurscripts a 'select random faces' script, and I was hoping to make small changes to that, but I can't figure it out :(

I have a greebled object, and I'd like to apply random materials to the seperate panels and widgets. I have a 'random material' script too, so just selecting random elements would be ideal.

Digee
04-27-2008, 04:05 AM
I found an easier workaround method, so I won't need that script, however, it may be useful to other people, and I'm still interested if it actually exists (just out of curiosity!)

ZeBoxx2
04-27-2008, 06:20 PM
is the 'easier workaround' basically slapping a MaterialByElement modifier on the object, grabbing the stack result mesh, and then ... actually, I guess you're already done after step 1... but say you wanted the result ... and then reading out the material IDs for each face?

Digee
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
Wow... I'm embaressed now! No it was on greeble, where you type the material ID to be used, I hadn't realised you can type "1,2,3,4,5,6" and it will apply them at random to elements.

I can't believe I hadn't seen that modifier before! Apologies for the dumb questions :P

Thankyou for replying anyway, theres more flexibility using that modifier.

ZeBoxx2
04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
built-in! even easier ;)

Keep in mind that the modifier is truly random while the plugin has per-level randomness, I think? So whether it's 'better' really depends on your needs :)

CGTalk Moderation
04-27-2008, 11:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.