PDA

View Full Version : Problems with LW plugin.

Jonathan
04-26-2008, 07:47 PM
Using Messiah:Studio 2.5c. Plugin isn't working. Everytime I try to use the messiah:displace plug I get error "Can't Access Surface Funcs" and the plugin fails to start.

All of this started after I upgraded to windows vista. I reinstalled both programs but no dice. They worked fine when I was using win2k.

I've tried everything I can think of. Is there a remedy to this.

Jonathan
04-27-2008, 08:07 PM
....I guess not :hmm:

Ulven
04-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Err, it sounds like the problem might be specific to your system or something if you're the only one having problems with it. Just in case you might have overlooked something I'll give a generic checklist:
-Make sure you have installed the latest hasp drivers (they needed upgrading at one point to support vista)
-What version of lw are you trying to use it with? if it's LW 9.5 beta it could be that the lw plug needs updating. I haven't tested yet myself.
-Alternately if you can't make it work, use mdd transfer to lw instead.

Jonathan
04-28-2008, 01:34 PM
Sorry for my frustration, but after years of this i get so fed up when things don't work as they should. I was dragged kicking and screaming once again into Vista from Win2K from previously being dragged up from WinNT40 about 6 years ago and found myself in much of the same fix.

I'm using LW 7.5. (Yup, saw no need to upgrade). Running Vista Ultimate. I've upgraded the hasp drivers so messiah runs fine. Lightwave runs fine also. When I try to use the displace plugin for messiah:studio I get the aforementioned error.

I like to keep my old versions running as I upgraded to studio from animate. If could go fall back to animate it would not be a problem but I run into hasp issues when I do so. Another something I could do in Win2K but not Vista.

As far as using mdd? This is the first I've heard of this. Perhaps I should be more socialize more online but alas I'm fed up with the detached brutality of people when they are not facing you. Could you explain the mdd process more. If that's a viable work-around then I can be back on track until my problem is solved. There just is anyway in the world I'm going back to animating in Lightwave. That is simply akin to pulling teeth.

Ulven
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
I'll try to explain briefly how to use mdds if you haven't worked with that before.
What you do is:
1. Select your mesh object in the object list on the left.
2. In messiah, go to Customize -> SaveMorphSequence.
3. Select the path where you want to save the mdd file to.
4. Select begin and end frame if you want to use different values than your timeline.
5. If not already selected, choose mdd as the Object Format,
6. Hit Generate current morph sequence.

If you have lots of objects needing mdd files you can set up a batch baking process in the fields below instead of a single object at a time as I just described.

Then in lw, load your object into your scene.
Hit P for properties and go to the deform tab.
Click add displacement and choose MD_Plug.
Now you can double click this displacement plugin and choose your mdd file for your object.
Make sure you set your sub division order to after displacement or later (I usually set it to last). If you don't have MD_Plug as an option in your list (I don't remember when they got it in lw) you can also load mdd files with a number of other plugins, like point oven, or even by using soft body dynamics in lw and loading the mdd as a baked file.

Whenever you load the scene in lw it will load the latest mdd file. Some of the other mdd plugins loads it directly from the disk so you can have a more live update whenever you choose to write out the mdd files.

CGTalk Moderation
05-05-2008, 03:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.