PDA

View Full Version : App for particles - compliment to modo?

Jiokah
04-26-2008, 03:43 AM
Hi guys,

I'm just starting out on Modo, and I love this program! But alas, it has no particle system or support for things like smoke, volumetric lighting etc.

Is there an app that you find is a good compliment to modo that can acheive these things? I'm thinking blender because it's free, but if there's a better choice I'm willing to pay some money (just something more specialized, I'm not going to dish out 2 grand for Maya or something).

Cheers,
Matthew

pnoland
04-27-2008, 07:49 PM
Blender has decent particles but you might want to check out Houdini as well. You can pick up the Apprentice:HD version for 100 bucks me thinks. That's probably the best program for particle effects.

cresshead
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
there's also the 2d option such as the particles in prtiacle illusion>
http://www.wondertouch.com/

also the 2d and 3d particles in motion which is in the finalcut pro suite of apps if you already have a apple mac.

other options would be lightwave which have a decent particle system and those most wonderful of particle types 'hypervoxels' for amazing smoke, fire, vapour trails and explosions
as seen in battlestar galactica etc.

for 'fluids' i'd reccomend blender.

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 11:56 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.