PDA

View Full Version : again, general: extract and import the Z-Channel

bjoern
05-14-2003, 12:10 PM
Hi

I want to build an workaround for the AA problem in the Z-Channel
examples for every Comptool are welcome

First way:

Render the ZChannel in a seperate File ( i use Maya).
And put than my RGBA-file in DFusion together with the Z-file.
I want to blur the Z-channel because of no antialiasing (MentalRay and the Mayarenderer can't render AA Z-channel).
How it work??

Second way:

Render one file and extract the Z-channel in DFusion, blur
the channel, and go on with the composite.
How it work?

and wich is the best way?

thx for any help

regards
bjoern

arvid
05-14-2003, 12:41 PM
Try setting up a depth pass with depth fog or some sort of density shader, it's very easy in XSI to keep multiple passes like this in a single scene, don't know about Maya, but I assume there's a way. You'll get a lot of control and nice AA.

bjoern
05-14-2003, 04:52 PM
thanks,the Fog Idea works great.
But i still have problems in Fusion

Correct me if its wrong.

You render the Fog in XSI and say XSI it has to put this Fog image
( and all shaders black ) in a seperate Pass. Right?
i think this is the best way.
this is possible with a Plug in Maya, ithink so ( but its still vor 4.5, and I use 5 )

my Question:
Is there a way in Fusion to merge a RGB-File ( witch represents my RGB-Colors) and a RGB-File ( witch represents my Z-depth ).
both files has only RGB, no Alpha no Z-depth.
So i want to convert my Z-File in to a Z-Channel.

regards
bjoern

izzylong
05-14-2003, 05:05 PM
On Highend, there is a shader called "yuya Depth shader" that will do the depth with AA for you.

Just render that out, and you have your Z pass:)

bjoern
05-14-2003, 05:12 PM
i know this shader, but it is still only for 4.5 :(

Ok let us assume, i render it in 4.5
Whats is it for an Output file?

ist it an RGB? how did you use the data from your rendert image?
see my post above.

regards
bjoern

igoraki
05-14-2003, 07:02 PM
I want to blur the Z-channel because of no antialiasing

dont do that,its not the same as bluring alpha channel,as z-channel have infos about depth,blur will change that so depth would not be correct.

Is there a way in Fusion to merge a RGB-File ( witch represents my RGB-Colors) and a RGB-File ( witch represents my Z-depth ).
both files has only RGB, no Alpha no Z-depth

you can do that with channel booleans tool - aux channel tab,but i think it would be much better to render files with z-depth and use them like that.

i dont use maya,but i think that iff files can save z-depth.

bjoern
05-14-2003, 07:25 PM
to igoraki:
<<you can do that with channel booleans tool - aux channel tab,but i think it would be much better to render files with z-depth and use them like that.>>

I did that (channel booleans). please look at this thread ( under the Dfusion forum ):

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=62416

i have some problem with this Idea, and i have post my problem there in detail.

<<but i think it would be much better to render files with z-depth and use them like that. >>

no the Z-depth has no AA an this makes it
unusable. I need the Z-detph not for DOF. I want use the channel for simple composing, and have no AA probs in CloseUps.

regards
bjoern

arvid
05-15-2003, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by bjoern
Correct me if its wrong.

You render the Fog in XSI and say XSI it has to put this Fog image
( and all shaders black ) in a seperate Pass. Right?
i think this is the best way.
this is possible with a Plug in Maya, ithink so ( but its still vor 4.5, and I use 5 )

Correct, if you want to do it manually :) You could also make the objects constant white and the fog black so you dont have to invert the image :)
In XSI specifically, you choose Pass|Edit>NewPass>Depth and a depth pass is created, when you switch to it, or render it you get an RGB depth matte and your default beauty pass is still intact within the same scene.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.