PDA

View Full Version : Wacom reveals new RRFC touch technology

heavyness
04-25-2008, 04:07 PM
http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/25/wacom-reveals-svelte-rrfc-capacitive-touchscreen-technology/

Hold on to your touch panels, folks, as Wacom has just made known its plans to reveal "a major innovation (http://www.engadget.com/2008/04/19/microsoft-adds-twist-to-handhelds-with-force-sensing-technology/) in capacitive touchscreen technology" at next month's International Society for Information Display Exhibition. The tech, dubbed Reversing Ramped Field Capacitive (RRFC) touch, relies on "reversing ramped electro-static fields" to bring unprecedented precision and "drift-free performance" to touchscreen users. Reportedly, it can be integrated into dual-input applications with the firm's EMR pen-input solution or can operate on its lonesome on devices that require just a finger touch interface. Of course, there's way more pizazz to the whole thing than we can cover in this space, but feel free to don your nerd suit and hit the read link if you're thirsty for more.

more info here...
http://www.wacom.com/pressinfo/press_release.cfm?id=131

Geta-Ve
04-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Benefit of Wacom’s RRFC Dual Touchscreens
Compared to touchscreens with resistive capacitive, an older touchscreen technology, Wacom's RRFC touch offers superior optical performance, while having increased sensitivity and durability. Wacom touchscreens have greater transmissivity of up to 95 percent, compared to transmissivity of only 80 to 85 percent in resistive capacitive touch screens. Wacom RRFC touch technology requires less pressure, that is, only a very light stroke to activate a signal, compared to the force required in a resistive touch screen. The hard surface in Wacom's RRFC touchscreen is also tougher than glass, which helps eliminate wear and scratching.

Not quite sure if I like this or not. I actually prefer having harder tactile feedback. One of my main gripes about the wacom products is that a lot of light touches produces unwanted results.

We shall see though.

Venkman
04-25-2008, 05:43 PM
You can adjust the pressure sensitivity on the pen in the control panel for specifically that reason.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it!

Larry_g1s
04-25-2008, 05:59 PM
I've just purchased my 1st tablet, the new Bamboo Tablet from Wacom. And though it's one of the lower end tablet ($75 out the door), just messing around with it, I'm amazed at the results. I can't believe, for that price, why I waited so long.

Geta-Ve
04-25-2008, 07:45 PM
You can adjust the pressure sensitivity on the pen in the control panel for specifically that reason.

Give it a shot, I'm sure you'll like it!

I am aware of those options, :P but I was using that example as a comparison.

Ivan D Young
04-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Let me guess, this technology will be great and we will have to wait for years and years for it to be affordable. Wacom's stranglehold on innovation, will be expensive for a long time to come, oh boy! There has not been a significant reduction in their Cintiq's price yet. I am all for better stuff form Wacom, but how about something cost effective for all of us.

Pinoy McGee
04-27-2008, 05:15 PM
Cintiqs are leasable. Shop around if paying full is out of the question right now.

aaraaf
04-29-2008, 04:25 AM
Wacom's stranglehold on innovation...

Isn't it up to other companies to be innovative on their own?

You can't fault them for being good at what they do and demanding a solid price for their products, especially when the bamboo is such a solid product at such a compelling price.

Ivan D Young
04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
Wacom has had a lead in this field for years. If they don't watch out, other companies will sneak into their market and steal their thunder. Microsoft with something like surface, Apple eventually will make something larger like the IPhone screen, and who knows maybe something like the interactivity of a Wiimote. Wacom can sit there and release incremental advances and will get edged out of their own field, maybe not.

Don't get me wrong, I like their products but the Cintiq has not gotten cheaper too produce in something like 5 years? Their screens and technology are already in many laptops, yet some feel that getting a laptop with their screen is a better deal than just getting thier Cintiq. I guess what I am saying is that I do not feel that they have leveraged their leadership well.

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 07:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.