PDA

View Full Version : Hair modelling - best solution?

ArjunM
04-25-2008, 01:31 PM
We all like most of the heads we model to have some hair, don't we? So I tried to model some hair on some faces, but I don't have a good grip of this. I had initially tried to prepare a planar mesh to cover the hair area, but look underneath and you'll find that it is no more than a mere mesh. Not to mention, the hair doesn't even move too well. Volume hair is possibly the most cumbersome method I've tried. Then there's particle-generated hair, which gives a good result, but I don't know the trick- different hair shapes, different locations- and the system gets a little too slow. What do you consider to be the best solution? I've searched for hair tutorials, and seven out of ten suggest using the HairNFur modifier, which I don't wish to use at present.

Lestat
05-10-2008, 08:39 AM
Why don't you wish to use the Hair 'n' Fur modifier?
A particle based solution like that is really the best way to get realistic hair, it's very hard to do it otherwise, especially if you plan on animating where you'll see more angles and have movement.

The disadvantage is that some modifiers, like Hair 'n' Fur don't work with all renderers - only MR and ScanLine give you shadows in 3DS for instance, which pisses me off, but it's possible to work around that, even if it's a bit tedious.

Other techniques like opacity mapping planes with hair textures can work, but as mentioned, it might not work well with animation, and in the end is probably as much work as using a modifier or plugin.

The choice in the end relies a lot on what you want to achieve. If you want stylized manga-hair, you can use opacity-mapping or even geometry with some succes, if you want realistic hair, opacity mapping MAY work, or you may need to get a plugin that more accurately simulates physics.

L.

jasonteunissen
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
also having the same probems.
I cant use plugins, so i'm stuck with geometry hair. of plains with oppascity maps.
and there are very little tutorials.
i did find this one. plain oppacity map tutorial
http://www.paultosca.com/varga_hair.html

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2008, 09:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.