PDA

View Full Version : Worth going to SIGGRAPH?

Perambulator
05-14-2003, 09:43 AM
I've been mulling over going to SIGGRAPH this year.

Bear in mind that I'll be coming from the Uk. So cost of air ticket + SIGGRAPH cost (around $1000 for non-member) means that it's quite an expense.

From a LW perspective, could I gain/learn much?

Cheers

Rich

SplineGod
05-14-2003, 11:18 AM
Its great from the standpoint of making new contacts and there will be LW classes. :)

Perambulator
05-14-2003, 11:29 AM
Well I could certainly use the classes!

Will they be external to the actual conference or included in the conference cost?

Rich

SplineGod
05-14-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by Perambulator
Well I could certainly use the classes!

Will they be external to the actual conference or included in the conference cost?

Rich
I THINK theyre free but Im not sure. I will be teaching several classes on character modeling and rigging. Jennifer Hachigian will be doing some stuff on Cel Shading and Dave Jerrard will be doing some stuff on textures.

pixelmonk
05-14-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by SplineGod
I THINK theyre free but Im not sure. I will be teaching several classes on character modeling and rigging. Jennifer Hachigian will be doing some stuff on Cel Shading and Dave Jerrard will be doing some stuff on textures.

Damn.. between the Maya and LW classes, I won't have time to see L[8]!!!

:beer:

fourd
05-14-2003, 04:27 PM
Hell yeah! Siggraph is worth a trip from anywhere in the world at least once. Besides going to look at LW and take some course, participating in the drawing contests at the nVidia booths and figure drawing classes on your own t-shirt are a blast... Oh yeah, then there's always the Newtek bash after a long hard day on your feet!

Plus you get to meet some really cool people.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Perambulator
05-14-2003, 06:20 PM
All that sounds great, but $1000 for the full conference pass seems a little steep to me.

Do I need that pass to get into these events/classes?

Rich

SplineGod
05-14-2003, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by Perambulator
All that sounds great, but $1000 for the full conference pass seems a little steep to me.

Do I need that pass to get into these events/classes?

Rich
Thats a lot of money. I never get the full conference pass. Im not sure if you need the full conference pass for these but I dont think so.

pelos
05-14-2003, 09:22 PM
there is only one problem jaja

there is to much info at the same time is so hard to choose!!!
class here, class there, new features some place, always something is missing, thats a good reason to go again!!!
=)

Perambulator
05-15-2003, 09:08 AM
Well, if I can get the pass the next level down (at $220), then I may well go!. $1000 is waaaaaay too much!

Rich

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.