PDA

View Full Version : VISTA SP1 for x86 and x64

Tlock
04-25-2008, 12:52 PM
Hello Everyone

Although this is not totally CG related, it is related to the underlining technology that we some rely on. Vista SP1 is out and i have been using it for about 2 weeks now and i can actually say that i now boot upto Vista more often cause this update is a mjor improvement to the OS most specifically too how the GUI works, which always very slow and sluggish.

Just to be clear i dual boot between Win2k and Vista.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/bb738089.aspx

I don't think you want to wait for the Windows Update version of it cause it will be painfully slow as thousands of users world wide will be downloading it. So beat the madness.

subtlebluetones
04-25-2008, 12:55 PM
thanks for the info

tuna
04-25-2008, 01:14 PM
I don't think you want to wait for the Windows Update version of it cause it will be painfully slow as thousands of users world wide will be downloading it. So beat the madness.

What madness? It was rolled out in Windows Update over a month ago. It is a good update though.

Tlock
04-25-2008, 01:25 PM
The update from what they say on the site is not available via Windows Update but just as a download version. The madness i would imagine will be caused of the sheer size of them once they are added to Windows Update process. The full sized multi language versions are x86 is about 1.1 GB and x64 is about 4.3 GB. So this is not something ppl will be able to do in just a few minutes. It will take hours for many.

The version i linked to are the Five Language version so it is much smaller. They were only made available as of April 15 2008.

726.5 MB for x64
434.5 MB for x86

I'm curious how you got through Automatic Windows Update process when i have been using Vista and never any sort of notification? Same with several co-workers.

salmonmoose
04-25-2008, 01:43 PM
I'm curious how you got through Automatic Windows Update process when i have been using Vista and never any sort of notification? Same with several co-workers.

It's not a "critical" update, you have to ask for it - tap your windows key and type 'windows update'.

You should see that your computer is "up to date" but you'll still have optional updates. Often you'll find a bunch of drivers have updated and stuff like that. For most people SP1 sat here, because they didn't NEED it.

tuna
04-25-2008, 01:47 PM

No reason, it was rolled out a while ago, so Im not sure why you don't see it in the windows update list. Did you check manually?

Why is the version you linked to so much bigger? It's literally 10x bigger than the version you get through Windows Update. 60mb Vs 600mb for the 32bit and 130mb Vs 730mb for the 64bit update. It's easier just to get it through Windows Update, as they're the same thing, and it's considerably smaller.

Clanger
04-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Why is the version you linked to so much bigger? It's literally 10x bigger than the version you get through Windows Update. 60mb Vs 600mb for the 32bit and 130mb Vs 730mb for the 64bit update. It's easier just to get it through Windows Update, as they're the same thing, and it's considerably smaller.

I think I read somewhere that the update version just downloads the bit's that have changed where as the asked for one is just about the whole thing again. Couldn't be sure if that's true though.

Tlock
04-25-2008, 02:07 PM
I always checked for non-critical updates cause of driver issues. That is good to know. I can't imagine what the heck the 1.1 GB and 4.3 GB versions are then. I guess typical of Vista , 5 or is it 6 versions of Vista so why shouldn't there be at least 3 different versions of the SP ;)

Just for curiosity sake, could other ppl post if they have the SP1 update available via Windows Update?

I didn't see it and i always check.

Also i don't think update should even be consider non-critical cause Vista really needed it.

salmonmoose
04-25-2008, 02:21 PM
It's the same pack - bits of it are for all the different languages, bits of it are for hardware you may not have. The large download is for Sysadmins who have to update a bunch of random computers by hand.

MS probably haven't taken care to make the files small either, so each language is a full copy of the install - it wouldn't be the first time.

The full download won't work on all computers either (another reason to use update) for instance I'm running it on a very old (athlon 3000+) computer, and it's not available to me because of hardware issues.

salmonmoose
04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Also i don't think update should even be consider non-critical cause Vista really needed it.

From memory it's listed as "important" but not "critical". Critical updates are only for exploits and crashes, and are installed by default, on "patch tuesday".

Vista worked without SP1, it just works better with it. They can't force it onto computers because there are SOME compatibility issues.

Tlock
04-25-2008, 02:39 PM
thanks salmonmoose you seem to make sense ;)

Saurus
04-25-2008, 05:28 PM
On a subject of Vista sp1. I went to local PC store yesterday to get a copy of Vista 64 sp1 (OEM) and he said SP1 is only available as a separate disk and not the single disk I am looking for. You guys know anything about Vista 64 sp1 all-in-one disk availability? I got two lappy with Vistas and I'm ready to upgrade my workstation and would like the convenient of one disk installation.

Saurus
04-25-2008, 05:32 PM
From memory it's listed as "important" but not "critical". Critical updates are only for exploits and crashes, and are installed by default, on "patch tuesday".

Vista worked without SP1, it just works better with it. They can't force it onto computers because there are SOME compatibility issues.

Yeah, my two lappy with Vista and current updates work awesome. So, I am not in a rush to upgrade to sp1. But if I find my workstation with sp1 shows good performance (probably cuz its a 6600 quad and one of my lappy is only 1.1 ghz tablet PC), I will update both lappy to sp1.

TBart
04-25-2008, 08:59 PM
On a subject of Vista sp1. I went to local PC store yesterday to get a copy of Vista 64 sp1 (OEM) and he said SP1 is only available as a separate disk and not the single disk I am looking for. You guys know anything about Vista 64 sp1 all-in-one disk availability? I got two lappy with Vistas and I'm ready to upgrade my workstation and would like the convenient of one disk installation.
You could create a slipstream disk if you wanted a single dvd. Just google slipstream disk.

salmonmoose
04-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Yeah, my two lappy with Vista and current updates work awesome. So, I am not in a rush to upgrade to sp1. But if I find my workstation with sp1 shows good performance (probably cuz its a 6600 quad and one of my lappy is only 1.1 ghz tablet PC), I will update both lappy to sp1.

If you CAN do it, then do it.

Vista is ok on decent machines, but SP1 is better, especially when it comes to moving files around.

telecaustic
04-26-2008, 01:41 AM
So I have tried to install this update twice and it won't do it, it goes through all the motions and then at the end it says "Service Pack did not install. Reverting changes. Do not turn off computer." The it sits there reverting forever. yay vista.

Christopher Watson

salmonmoose
04-26-2008, 07:21 AM
Are you using the manual installer? It should be giving you an error message - incompatible drivers, or software are the leading causes.

The automatic updater shouldn't even show you the option to install it if it can't.

Saurus
04-26-2008, 01:29 PM
You could create a slipstream disk if you wanted a single dvd. Just google slipstream disk.

Yeah, that's what the local PC vendor told me to just create a slipstream disk, but I swore I saw an advertising for Vista 64 sp1 all-in-one disk oem. I did more looking around and found such disk does exist. Here's one being sold by newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116488) for $109. Now if I can only find one locally (Vancouver).

telecaustic
04-26-2008, 03:55 PM
Are you using the manual installer? It should be giving you an error message - incompatible drivers, or software are the leading causes.

The automatic updater shouldn't even show you the option to install it if it can't.

I went to the System and Maintenance>Windows Update screen and started the process from there where it downloads the update and you start the update. Took a good 20 minutes for the update to do its preliminary setup and then goes through 2 or 3 shut down cycles (prolly another 20 minutes), then gives that message I mentioned above. Then I go back to system maintence and the said update is there stating it should be installed. I tried it a couple time yesterday with the same results. Maybe I will try a download and install without going through the system/update screen. I will re-read this thread a little closer to see how others do it.

Vista has shattered my computer ego from day one, proving time after time that I am simply not smart enough to use it :D. XP was so much kinder to my self-esteem, lol.

Christopher Watson

Tlock
04-28-2008, 07:10 PM
So i just found a document on the Microsoft web site which stated that the Windows Vista SP1 update was going to be deploy to a new group of users every week rather than everyone all at once, which would have most definitely cause download nightmares.

inguatu
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
I had to wait for it to appear on the Update list. Intially I downloaded the standalone installer and it didn't work. I tried deleting old packages that were downloaded from the directory, turned off defender, virus software, etc and nothing worked. I was then told to wait for it to appear in the Windows Update and it'll work fine, which it did. It's a slammin' release. Thanks Microsoft!

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.