PDA

View Full Version : What canvas size to start with for movie matte's

DavidStokes
04-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Hi all,

I was just wondering what canvas and DPI would you start with it your Matte was going to be used in a Movie on the big screen. (not that i'm doing one just asking)

Would 300DPI be ok ?
would you need a really big canvas ?

thanks.

everlite
04-25-2008, 09:30 PM
no 300dpi is used for print, 72dpi is good, though you tend to find the frame size usually, ie 1920x1080, also double up the frame/matte for adding detail etc

Dave.

nickmarshallvfx
04-27-2008, 04:58 PM
Yea it really depends what the final output is going to be. As Dave said 1920 x 1080 is a good place to start, but for movies, this is usually cropped down to a 2.35 aspect ratio. If you are working on something that is going to be cropped then make sure you test the composition of the matte painting to make sure it will work after the shot has been cropped.

Nick

milanschere
05-09-2008, 09:47 AM
i thought most people work with 4k at 72dpi.
i personally just take 1920x1080 and double it before getting started.
in the end you will be asked to deliver it at 1080HD anywayz.
which is 1920x1080px @ 72dpi.
hope that helps.

chilombiano
05-10-2008, 02:26 PM
Maybe the answer is bit more complicated than that. One thing would be the output resolution for film and that's pretty straight forward. Another thing is the Aspect ratio. The harder answer has to be with the resolution of your paint itself to "hold" on the screen..if it is a lock off cam well your paint can be just double or just same than the output res. but if there is animation and your painted elements get closer to camera during the shot you will have to go high and high depending how close ..whatever part of your paint that is framed on camera has to be at minimum the final output res.
as an example: simple zoom camera from a big landscape to the small house on the valley. if the last frame of the shot frames on the house that area of your paint has to be at output res. everything outside that last frame in your canvas is more Pixels :) lets say 8k or 12k for the whole landscape. thats why you end splitting your paintwork all the time. HArd to explain with my english. hope it helps.

ps. plus a bit more resolution for anamorphic shows but thats another subject.

everlite
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
Good explaination Daniel, can you expand on the anamorphic show would effect the res?

Dave.

CGTalk Moderation
05-10-2008, 02:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.