PDA

View Full Version : Modeling wrinkles: maya or zbrush?

sekidaigoro
04-25-2008, 05:45 AM
im trying to keep my topology simple.. when i try to model a cloth or skin wrinkle in maya (using split polygon tool and creating creases).. it usually doesnt turn out the way i wanted.. the topology often becomes messy.. ive seen models with crazy wrinkle topology but thats too much splitting and too many vertices to move.. what do you suggest? should i just build a basic object in maya and wrinkle it in zbrush?

Lestat
05-10-2008, 08:44 AM
It seems lately (lately being the last 1-2 years or so) that every high-poly model goes through Z-brush, Mudbox or something similar.

The reason of course is it's a lot easier to get the level of detail you want in those apps. It's incredibly tedious modelling wrinkles and small features in the traditional polygon modelling package, so a lot of people will take the model into a micro-modelling package and go from there.

I'd say you workflow depends a lot on your needs, but Z-brush or Mudbox can almost always be worked into it.
Personally I like to take the model with relatively finished features into Mudbox and then work on micro-features there - stuff like wrinkles, folds, small muscle features, even pores and scars if necessary. Others take what amounts to a box with legs into the app and just go from there. It depends a lot on your preference, but I like the control 3ds or Maya gives me over the basic shape, so I get that right before going into detailing.

L.

sekidaigoro
05-10-2008, 11:15 PM
oh ok. That pretty much sums it up then. I try too hard modeling all that extra detail on my mesh. But then it increases my skill in mesh modeling. I'm going to have to remove some unnecessary vertices and just work my way through zbrush now. Thank you Lestat for taking your time to answer my question.

musashidan
05-15-2008, 09:25 PM
for wrinkling,i find retopologising to be a fantastic technique.You end up with a mesh almost as detailed as ZB at a fraction of the face count.

Workfow:model low-poly>ZB sculpt detail>model higher detailed mesh using sculpt as a template.Plus if you want to improve your modeling skills:then do this a few times and you will!!

Only thing is,i use Polyboost with Max which makes it super easy.And i've heard Maya is a bit ropey for re-topo work.

twedzel
05-27-2008, 02:07 AM
Model what you need to control in scene and displace the rest (as long as displacement will work for your needs). And by model what I mean is have your control cage have the appropriate topology that will allow you to create the shapes you will want to sculpt as a part of your skinning/deformation setup (wether you model the control cage and export it to Zbrush or derive the surface through retopo). So if you need to manipulate a skin wrinkle with a deformer, model it. If the details are a big part of the silohuette that the animators will interact with, then model them.

sekidaigoro
05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
oh i see.. thanks.. i figured that its unnecessary to model the wrinkle topology in some areas unless the camera shoots a close up of a certain part of an object.. the only details im focusing on is the face..

CGTalk Moderation
05-27-2008, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.