PDA

View Full Version : del Toro officially on Hobbit!

danharing
04-25-2008, 04:00 AM
The news that director Guillermo del Toro has signed on to direct The Hobbit and its sequel is finally here.

http://cinemagaslight.com/2008/04/24/del-toro-officially-on-hobbit/

kiaran
04-25-2008, 05:30 PM
Uber-cool. :)

AdamHerbert
04-25-2008, 06:40 PM
I think Del Torro, along with the help of Jackson, Walsh and the Weta team will do a great job. I'm very excited for there films now!

Xevious
04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
That's a no brainer choice for a director.

krispee
04-26-2008, 09:15 AM
yep, i like the idea or Del Toro as well, especially after watching Pans Labrynth, i was a bit worried after Peter Jackson said he wasn`t going to direct the Hobbit, but Del Toro is the next best thing definitely......

kris

aaraaf
04-29-2008, 06:27 AM
The only thing that I don't like about it is that we'll have to go 5 years or so before a new original Del Toro movie!

That guy's got a way with making some really strange, moving and emotive stuff.

gjpetch
04-29-2008, 07:21 AM
Hell yeah
One very interesting thing del toro says in this (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2008/04/25/28747-guillermo-del-toro-chats-with-torn-about-the-hobbit-films/) interview is that he wants to use a lot of animatronics rather than CGI creatures, & to make the technology of animatronics "leap ten years into the future". On the one hand thats disapointing for us 3d guys, but on the other hand that sounds so cool to me, I love animatronics.
I just wonder what this second film is going to be all about, I can't even imagine how you would tackle a task like inventing a whole new Tolkien story.

krispee
04-29-2008, 10:34 AM
well, he won`t have to make much up, not necessarily, Tolkien wrote of lot of fill in material and other tales about individual characters that never made it to the 4 books that he was famous for. for instance The Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales i believe have extra material especially, not so much The Children of Hurin as that took place before even the Hobbit in the time of Morgoth.....there should be enough to fill in between the lines to do it justice.......

kris

Ivan D Young
04-29-2008, 06:01 PM
I have not heard yet, maybe someone here knows. Did the Tolkien family get their 100 million dollar royalties? Like the actors and Peter Jackson, New Line was refusing to give them their money. Last I heard was that the family would not allow the movie to be made until they got there money.

krispee
04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
actually i believe it was 75 million so a bit more in dollars or 7.5 percent of the gross revenue, but last i heard [february] it was still in the works, unless they too have come to an agreement, but i`m sure we would have heard that news....

kris

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 06:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.