PDA

View Full Version : overlapping hair systems

tymznd
04-25-2008, 02:52 AM
I am trying to create a layered hair system. This is so that I can isolate a render pass... so I want to create a second system that has some slightly different hairShape values. When I run the command:
createHair
To create the second system, my input settings are the same and I get the following message:
// Warning: createHair: follicles currently exist at all create locations, no new hairs created //

Why can't I have two systems (same initial settings) on 1 scalp?... I would understand this message if I was trying to insert into the original system... but this is an entirely new system... I want new follicles.

yenvalmar
04-25-2008, 11:58 PM
would be to duplicate the scalp. i have used many hair systems on one hairdo and thats how i've done it.

i dont know why its like that though :)

http://www.yenvalmar.com/Music/durso/durso.htm

i find an additional benefit is its easier to manage visibility by just hiding the scalp, to isolate the different hairdos. that project had like a dozen rigs for all the different hairdos, and most had multiple hair systems for a single "do", and having them all on the same scalp woulda suuucked to manage.

tymznd
04-27-2008, 03:43 AM
The issue is that my scalp animates/deforms.... so my layers need to adhere to deformations.

BTW... do you script the creation of the hair system? or do you do it by hand?... I am wondering how one can name the hair system to be created?
createHair $u $v $pts 0 0 0 1 $length 0 1 $dyn 1;
... there is no place to control the naming?

msantachio
06-15-2008, 02:37 PM
Similar issue here...

// Warning: createHair: follicles currently exist at all create locations, no new hairs created //

when I run this in my python script:

mel.eval("createHair " + str(numJnts) + " 1 2 0 0 0 0 " + str(numJnts) + " 0 2 1 1")

It works fine the first iteration, but the second one, I get the above error, and it
relocates the follicles to the second object I selected, deleting them on the original one.

This has to do with the last drop down option in the create hair options in Maya, I think:

it's blank if there are no other hairSystems present in the scene. If there are other hairSystems present in scene, it list them and creates the follicles in the existing system by default, unless you select:

New Hair System

However, this is a pain because the commands you see in the script editor are identical! This should totally be an argument you can set in a call to createHair.mel

I'm going to pour over that file now, see how I can control that option, if possible :(

If anyone out there nows the answer to this one, It would be terribly kind of you to share your knowledge:)

tymznd
06-18-2008, 02:05 AM
I would also like to know the answer to this... I remember digging through the maya scripts to see where this value is set, but I can't remember finding anything.

Duncan
06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
The problem is that that paint follicle tool relies on follicle naming, and the root names are the same between the different systems, even though they have different parent nodes. You might change the creation attributes uvCount and/or edgeBounded. The hairs which fit in spaces will be created, although any coincident ones will still not be.

Duncan

Duncan
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
If you are interested in the actual code, look at "createHair.mel" in the maya scripts directory. One could modify the "if" block that begins with :
if ( `objExists $newName` ) {

Instead of setting $createFollicle to false, it could come up with a new name. Follicle painting would then not work properly for that hair system, but this might not be important for you.

Duncan

CGTalk Moderation
06-19-2008, 08:12 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.