PDA

View Full Version : A new episodic game on the way!

egfan
04-24-2008, 12:33 PM
Hey guys! It seems that a new episodic game is on the way. Take a look at these pages:

Afiction Games (http://www.afictiongames.com)

Mithra: The Calling (http://www.afictiongames.com/mithrapage.aspx)

Ollarin
04-24-2008, 01:39 PM
Looks cool, though I really dislike episodic games after Half Life 2.

It's like:

"And the mastermind behind the last 2 episodes you've played over the last 20 years is..."

To be continued in Episode 3, in stores on May 2039.

egfan
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
I think Valve has totally ruined the episodic concept with Half Life 2. Though Half Life 2 is a great game and I like it, but it's noway an episodic game. But this one, it looks more like Sam & Max. Better to wait to see their game.

DeVangiel
04-24-2008, 10:25 PM
As long as the gameplay is solid and the storyline is decent, episodic games like this one have actually become a compelling mainstay in the video game industry. Just look at the movie industry and it's recent fascination with trilogies.

I do agree, however, that too long of a wait between episodes can become rather annoying to the consumer. Publishers and developers need to hit the sweet spot of the consumer market, delivering episodes at correctly timed intervals to get the most profit and fan response.

Releasing episodes too early, one right after the other, doesn't give consumers enough time to absorb the prior release to it's fullest, as well as not allowing ample monetary build up. I know families that are on tight budgets that wouldn't want to pay $50 a pop every few months to keep up with a saga.

Releasing episodes too far apart will create disinterest, as the urge to know "what happens next" will die down after a while.

These releases should be kept at a point to where the next episodes are released close enough to keep interest , but far enough away to get gamers salivating over the next episodes previews.

Half Life two took way too long to release the next one, but having good reason in doing so made up for it....by that I mean the graphics updates and physics engine (Havok Rules!!!)

Halo 3 took too long to release as well. In my opinion, even for the updated graphics and extra on-line fluff...it played almost exactly the same as Halo 2.

God of War did an excellent job in gauging the proper release date with their sequel...although I am getting very antsy waiting for the third installment this time. (Chains of Olympus was a smart move on their part, but I'm still longing to destroy Olympus :drool:)

Having said all that, my concern with this game is releasing each episode way too close together. While I'm sure the future fans will enjoy having the releases so close, if the episodes aren't worth the bang for their buck, people may feel cheated every episode....

guess we'll just have to wait and see when they come out....

j83
04-25-2008, 06:51 AM
Or worse yet, buying the first episode, and the game studio being bought out and further episodes being cancled.

switchblade327
04-25-2008, 08:08 PM
I think Valve has totally ruined the episodic concept with Half Life 2. Though Half Life 2 is a great game and I like it, but it's noway an episodic game. But this one, it looks more like Sam & Max. Better to wait to see their game.

I don't consider what Valve does to be episodic at all. They're chapters or expansion packs. And while they are one of the top studios in the biz, they aren't the right studio for episodic content and arguably, the first person shooter genre is not at all suited for it at all.

Episodic's real chance is with genres that lend themself better to reusing the most art assets like adventure and open world games, allowing them to come out with new chapters with regularity and frequency. Sam and Max is the only game I know of that currently fits that bill.

I'm glad another studio is trying this though I need to see more screenshots before I can be interested.

egfan
04-25-2008, 08:43 PM
I totally agree with Ryan. Episodic game industry is still immature and it takes time for game developers to learn the rules but I actually see a great opportunity in this market (easier to manage the cashflow, fewer big competitors etc). I really hope these guys continue their good work...

Qslugs
04-28-2008, 02:54 PM
egfan, do you by chance work for the company that you've posted about?

egfan
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Mike; As a matter of fact, I know someone who works there. While I'm a big fan of episoic games, I just wanted to know other's opinion about their work and episodic games in general.

CGTalk Moderation
05-03-2008, 11:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.