PDA

View Full Version : to lattice or not to lattice

animationking
05-14-2003, 03:51 AM
right now im rigging my charcter for animation and i finally reached the skinning part. i chose to do rigid bind. could anyone plaese tell me what parts of the body are better to create a lattice and which parts are better to bind straight to the skeleton?

Doogie
05-14-2003, 05:40 PM
Last time I did a rigid bind I just went for binding the whole thing. But after setting up some flexors and weighting it I wish I had used a lattice around the shoulders and hips. I liked the way the elbows and knees worked with the flexors. Keep us updated on how it comes out

-Paul

animationking
05-15-2003, 12:12 AM
well just wondering..what made you wish u had used lattice on the shoulders and hips? what was the problem with it just binding?

Doogie
05-15-2003, 04:07 AM
You need to spread out the influence in those areas. Rigid bind will give you a sharp crease, flexors help even it out a lil, but lattices give the most control over the falloff.

Overall rigid binding was way easier to get the results i wanted than smoothbinding. It was prolly best because i bound the proxy (which smoothed stuff out when it deformed the final mesh)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.