PDA

View Full Version : My AnimationMentor Reel

Zephyrpower
04-24-2008, 12:48 AM
Hello everyone!

Just looking for comments on my demo reel before I start sending it en masse to all the places I would like to apply. Any advice or suggestion you can offer would be great.

You can find my demo reel on the website listed below.

www.BarnabasBoehler.com (http://www.BarnabasBoehler.com)

Kajenx
04-25-2008, 06:12 PM
Hey,

The animation looks really nice, but it all seems a little dead. I know potential employers are looking for good animation, and probably won't pay attention to the rendering or sound; but it was a little distracting to not hear anything happening. Maybe adding some lighthearted music or something will make it less distracting.

One thing about the animation, the lip sync is off in a few places. You might want to check the timing.

Zephyrpower
04-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Thanks Kajenx

I've been told by a few people to add some music or sound...especially since the first shots seem like they should have sound. Last thing I would want to happen is have someone think there is a problem with the audio and turn it way up, only to get blasted at the dialogue.

I agree that the lip-synch needs work. Can you point out any specific words/areas that bother you?

Kajenx
04-26-2008, 07:47 AM
From "Your dog..." to "...butt." seems like it's ahead of the sound quite a bit. It's pretty consistent, though, so it looks like it just jumped ahead a few frames by accident or something. It might be an easy fix to just bring it back a frame or two and see if it lines up better.

After watching it again, I wonder if you can make the dog's mouths more expressive, too. They're pretty cartoony, so I'm expecting to see the corners of the mouths move, and possibly the noses. The eyes convey a lot, but their mouths throw it off because they look like hinges.

Phredrek
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Hi Zephyrpower!

The first scene you have with the dog coming out of the trash can, I think you could punch it up so it's more of a first impression impact. Seems like the dog is studdering coming out of there, just have him pop out in 3-4 frames or something. I'd also add more follow through on when he chomps on the stick, have him come down more. So he POPS up from from the garbage, holds while he's waiting for the stick (good) and then he CHOMPS on it and arcs his nose and body downward. then he comes back up to look to the side. This way his body is acting more instead of just sitting there the whole time during your opening scene.

When the scene cuts to him jumping down, I'd add a few more frames before to show him coming out of the can a little more than just all of a sudden landing.

keep at it! good to see some creature animation posted

CGTalk Moderation
04-29-2008, 01:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.