PDA

View Full Version : Mental Ray AA problems

Nick2970
05-14-2003, 01:45 AM
I am having problems with MR not antialiasing very well, I get a lot of buzzing on fine objects Especially in the distance, I have tried every setting I can think of, even rendering double size, I know of at least two post houses around here that won't use MR because of this problem, surely there must be a way to get better results.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Nick

Ozren
05-14-2003, 09:19 AM
I have newer had that problem, tho i always render my images (final ones) at 1-3 sampling.

Can you post a pic so others can see where your problem is?

It could be your GFX card drivers cousing problems, another things i am shure that leaves black dots around the pic is overclocked procesor.

Sory i cant help you much, maybe someone else will.

jeremybirn
05-14-2003, 07:47 PM
I start at Min -2, Max 0 for grainy test renders, then Min 0 Max 2 works for a lot of final elements - when fine textures are buzzing 1-3 is often a fix, combined with enough filtering. I had to do min 2 max 4 once for a hershey's kisses commercial to get the highlights on the bump mapped tinfoil to animate smoothly without crawling. If you could post a test render or your actual settings people might give more help, but overall MR does a fine job of antialiasing if you set the quality high enough.

-jeremy

rock
05-14-2003, 07:48 PM
Nick,

It may be that you should increase the sampling quality for mental ray. Increase the Min and Max Sampling to 3 or 4. Higher values gives clearer result, but increases render time.

Rock

Nick2970
05-15-2003, 01:38 AM
Thanks Guys, you are right, I guess I just wasn't used to using such high settings (2/3 in the end)

I am doing a lot of Architectural work at the moment so there are lots of fine details off in the distance which were my main problem, but it seems fine now, nasty render times though!!

Thanks again for some very useful suggestions

Cheers, Nick

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.