PDA

View Full Version : Epson printer boundaries

Abominable
05-13-2003, 11:53 PM
Is there any possible way that EPSON printers have a limitation and create an unprintable area on a document...for example a 0.5 or 1 inch area where no matter what your layout is it will always leave a space/margin on your document that it won't print to?

Just wondering from you EPSON owners if there is any truth to that type of problem I've heard from one source.....Thanks

Shourai
05-14-2003, 12:02 AM
What model do you have? Also, have you tried messing with the page setup before printing? Perhaps it is going to a default setting instead of what you set. See if you cannot try to make the margins as small as possible that may work. Best of luck.

Ikarus
05-14-2003, 01:32 AM
I don't know if I understood your questions correctly, but if your talking about printing margins, most of the new epson printers have borderless printing. Meaning if you have and 8 1/2 X 11 piece of paper you can print on it without any margins. Although it takes alittle longer to print borderless, it looks alot better with out any margins. I currently have an epson 825 and have gotten great results, specially if you use the good photo paper.

You can check out their website for more details www.epson.com
Some of the printers allow for larger paper (ie:11X17, etc.)

Abominable
05-14-2003, 02:16 AM
Hey guys, Thanks for the insights.....

Right now im running an EPSON 900 Color Stylus (current drivers installed). The graphic I was working on (to be exact) was 5.5 inches by 4.25 inches. So obviously that was my image size in Photoshop, but when I set a custom paper size in the user defined size section of the printer/page setup to be 5.5" x 4.25", the resulting printout would never be centered to that dimension. The print preview would show it to be exaclty what i wanted, but when printed it would shift the graphic and add extra white space (the added margin) to the top/bottom etc. Believe me I tried every combination of settings for layouts, dimensions, centering as I could find.

For now this is how I got it to work...for my user defined paper size I made the dimensions 5.5" x 4.5" and kept my Photoshop document at 5.5" x 4.25" to accomodate for that extra 'unprintable margin' and fool the printer about the paper size. I know this is a total hack to achieve what I wanted but I couldn't figure it out.

I just wanted to see if anyone else noticed this with EPSON printing. One friend said she thought that ESPON printers always had this 'bug' so to say. (maybe with older printers, I don't know) Anyone else with input would be appreciated....

singularity2006
05-14-2003, 03:40 AM
the centering system on the epsons is horribly ridiculous .... i noticed there is a warning on my epson c80 to NOT use borderless printing on glossy paper for some odd reason ... the borderless is meant only for regular printer paper ... ridiculous too.

I gave up messing with centering issues. I custom cut all my prints these days. I love the printer and its quality, i hate how it aligns stuff.

Oh yeah, default on ALL Epson printers is the bottom edge MUST be .55" so that the paper feeder can readily eject paper if it is short paper. Or at least it's something like that.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.