PDA

View Full Version : Krakatoa Rugby :: CGFilm

PaulHellard
04-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Hi there,

Frantic Films Software helped Spy Films in Toronto and Ad agency BBDO Moscow to combine feature film-quality VFX with live-action. Click on the banner to read the story and feel free to comment.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/rugby_snick_fp.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=4496)

vfx
04-23-2008, 02:13 PM
Absolutely awesome ad!

The making of was a real nice insight - I soo wanna be doing stuff like that!

Great work to all involved and a nice read - thanks!

P.S. Little nitpick but in image - RUGBY_HQstill_12.jpg, the left minotaur's foot looks a little floaty. - Not so noticeable in the ad though ;)

ChewyPixels
04-23-2008, 02:17 PM
Very fun to watch! I'm sure the studio had a blast working on it. Why don't we have more ads like this over here in the states? :shrug:

mental
04-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Very fun to watch! I'm sure the studio had a blast working on it. Why don't we have more ads like this over here in the states? :shrug:
I thought this Ad ran during the SuperBowl. Could be wrong.

jigu
04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
great article.....nice reading it. Also loved the making of. great job "unexpected"!

mjca
04-23-2008, 07:24 PM
Stunning. I hope something like this would come as a full feature. Sound was awesome too.

loocas
04-23-2008, 08:56 PM
Kudos to all involved, really great piece of work, guys! :thumbsup:

JBoskma
04-23-2008, 09:24 PM
Awesome piece, sweet work Unexpected. About everything I've seen come out of Krakatoa has been mind blowing. Go Frantic!

Geta-Ve
04-23-2008, 09:54 PM
Nice one, loved the add. The music did a lot to get me into the short flick.

muslemwazer
04-24-2008, 12:56 AM
No one can say one word on an add like this, but as you mentioned to feel free to say my view :applause:

I don`t like that shot when that guy returned back to his human shape and once he wants to go back to those tough creatures shape he looks back with that look on his face while eating the chocolate, which i don`t like because it gives that feeling of a catoony hero. First time i saw that look i felt like i have seen something took me from those exciting and serious moments in the add .That was just my opinion :deal:

After all, it`s a great add [ i love snickers ] :D

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/2803/sshot1bm9.jpg

Bombata
04-24-2008, 01:40 AM
That was awesome!

P_T
04-24-2008, 02:44 AM
They did the Haka!! Oh and technically, the snicker team lost coz they passed the ball forward, that's illegal. Rugby players are also too manly to wear paddings and helmet. :D

Seriously though, that's a sweet looking ad, but isn't it a bit old? I think I remember those guys posting those videos here. I even still got the videos here. One is about 2 robots playing soccer and another one about two pod racers.

edit: The making of video is about those two, not this one. It's even got the two robots sipping tea and being "girly" at the end. :D

phoenix
04-24-2008, 04:33 AM
Well Love this ad :) its very impressive ...

i agree with muslemwazer its a very wierd look that the guy has.

Regards

rianchen
04-24-2008, 05:17 AM
awesome , its time to transform.

Piz
04-24-2008, 07:12 AM
Really Stunning!!! :drool:

Finotti
04-24-2008, 02:06 PM
Hi...

What I know, rugby don't play like that !!! Is more to american football

By the way. It's very impressive video. congratulations.

Kris-S
04-24-2008, 02:43 PM
They are playing Grid Iron not Rugby.

like someone said they past the ball forward you can't do that in Rugby, you'll get a penalty. AND in Rugby you don't use pads... nice work but a little miss leading and anoying to rugby fans, (espically for me who's from NZ) the company should have done there research or not use the Maori Haka and call it Rugby.

Venkman
04-24-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm not too familiar with rugby, but I think they don't allow monsters to play on the field, either. ;)

gu
04-24-2008, 04:00 PM
I have no words for that AD video. Simply amazingly done. Perfect!

Buzzoff
04-24-2008, 04:10 PM
So this was an ad for Krakatoa or a review?

Maybe next time whoever made the page shouldn't have two videos start playing at the same time.

Kris-S
04-24-2008, 05:12 PM
I'm not too familiar with rugby, but I think they don't allow monsters to play on the field, either. ;)

Ah yes but If I was one of the snicker eatting monsters playing there version of "Rugby" and someone past the ball forward which allowed the opposite team to score a try I would be seriously angry, and calling it to the ref. .. What I'm more angry about really is the use of the Haka in the sound track as it's the only thing rugby related in that entire Advert.

P_T
04-24-2008, 05:22 PM
I'm not too familiar with rugby, but I think they don't allow monsters to play on the field, either. ;)C'mon man, you know what he meant. If the ad is targeting rugby nations, well... we all know that ain't rugby, but if it's showing in the States, what's the point of calling it rugby?

I know it's not that big of a deal but still... a little more accuracy would've been appreciated, specially since it's not a hard thing to do in this case.

kumodot
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Impressive Stuff Man !
Greetings to all the Frantic Team envolved on it.I've enjoined everything on the Ad. Nice cameras, action, seamless effects, good direction and solutions ! Trully Piece of 3d commercial Art for sure ! : )

Great Animations too ! :) Loved it !

Bobo
04-24-2008, 11:55 PM
we all know that ain't rugby, but if it's showing in the States, what's the point of calling it rugby?

Actually, it is made for the Russian market, and I would assume the average Russian viewer does not really know the difference. Being from Eastern Europe myself, I learned the rules of American Football when I was 30 and still don't know much about Rugby. We are football ("soccer") people over there ;)

Bobo
04-24-2008, 11:56 PM
Impressive Stuff Man !
Greetings to all the Frantic Team envolved on it.I've enjoined everything on the Ad. Nice cameras, action, seamless effects, good direction and solutions ! Trully Piece of 3d commercial Art for sure ! : )

Great Animations too ! :) Loved it !

Just a note that all Frantic did was selling licenses of Krakatoa to Unexpected (http://www.unexpected.de/) in Germany. All KUDOS and credits should go their way!!!

P_T
04-25-2008, 04:10 AM
Actually, it is made for the Russian market, and I would assume the average Russian viewer does not really know the difference. Being from Eastern Europe myself, I learned the rules of American Football when I was 30 and still don't know much about Rugby. We are football ("soccer") people over there ;)I mentioned the States as an example of a non rugby nation. I know very little about Russia but going by your assumption, looks like it isn't a rugby nation either. In that case, the same question applies, why call it rugby? The ad was done in Canada yes? why not just call it American football/Grid Iron since (judging by the ad) you guys are a lot more familiar with it.

As Kris-S said, apart from the Haka, there's nothing remotely "rugby" in that video. Even then, Haka is a New Zealand tradition. It's only them who practice it. I understand why you want to put it in the ad though, it's just a cool thing to watch. :cool:

SamoanSamurai
04-25-2008, 02:17 PM
Hey guys!

I felt i had to bring this up since i haven't read anything about it in the article or any posts. Aside from the comment about the audio used by mjca.

But its the sound of a "Haka" and I don't know if they should be using that to represent a corporate image such as snickers. Its a chant used by the New Zealand rugby team The All Blacks. Its a pretty sad that what they are actually playing is Gridiron and its "dubbed" Rugby and anyone outside of non-rugby playing nations wouldn't mind it but those that do (like New Zealand) would find this abit well gross!

Aside from all that though its a fantastic representation of work that can be done! It really shows the ingenuity and beautiful work that can be done with such a simple but expressive idea! But I do agree that the sound track blends in really well with the imagery! Very Powerful!

P_T is right though this has been done before as mentioned in the article. But this is a better representation of the idea! I didn't like those other ones cause they were way too plastic and fake in there delivery.

Really well done to both Frantic Films and Unexepected! I enjoyed it alot! Great work guys & girls!

SBadea
04-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Hi all!

As you can see by my profile, I'm a member of the german Snickers-crew.

First of all, I want to thank in the name of the whole team, especially our Particle guys, Bobo for the extraordinary support he and the Frantic crew gave us!! (and thanks for forwarding the KUDOS in our direction :D we really appreciate!)

The title is basically just a working title for one of the two spots in this campaign that became through all the process the final title. Don't take it to serious.
There are 6 boys, transformed into monster-creatures through the energy of a snickers-bar, competing in some sort of game that's familiar to two games we know (some more, some less as Bodo very well spoken mentioned*g*), raging through an airplane boneyard... and you're thinking about rules. :) It's about fun in competition.
Using Haka for the music was the idea of the agency. And it was a good one, since it transports and supports the spirit and the mood the AD is about. When we found out what Haka is and discovered the All Blacks, we were proud and happy at once. Because the guys who "sing" it are as cool, as rough and as warrior-like as our creatures were supposed to be, and it makes the appearance of the AD even more unique.

Thanks again in the name of the unexpected crew!

vertigo
06-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Oops, it seems I've missed that post!

But I think it's never too late to thank Bobo & the Frantic Films team personally for the quick and constructive support on Krakatoa over the project! Thank you, Bobo! And once again to the 'unexpected' colleagues: Keep up the good work, guys! :scream:

Cheers
Emil

P.S.: ... and of course Bobo's way of explaining was the general reason to catch() on MaxScripting :thumbsup:

Cray1
08-09-2008, 03:20 PM
I live in Russia, and saw this "battle of hungry monsters" many times on the TV.
It is perfectly looked.The opinion of my friends coincides with mine. Nobody thought to understand game rules :) It is perceived exclusively as a computer game with the original actions. It is not important, that kind of sports are presented in this movie - a general impression is important. And impressions the most positive. Thanks to all who has made it!

eurythMia
10-18-2008, 04:20 AM
Visually stunning, yes. But you'd think they'd do their research on the game of Rugby. They were playing Gridiron or American football. The haka has nothing to do with that. But aside from that little quarm, it was quite compelling.

ironorr84
03-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Has anyone gone to the Unexpected website (link provided on the article's web page)? They have a 720p version of the spot, and since it's a quicktime version, you can use your arrows to go frame by frame.

I just did this and I'm more impressed with this commercial.

"Forward passing" this, "They did the Haka!!" that...whether it's Rugby or Football, I think anyone being too critical about these details are missing the point. Snickers make you play better in sports, by transforming you into either cyborg minitors, or alien rhinoceroses. No, I take that back. I believe it has a little bit of shock value (vfx and sfx, and the overall "storyline")in the beginning, then more shock value when this monstrous minitor dissolves into a normal human guy. Then intro to the snickers bar, which is instantly impressed on the viewer's memory. Transform the human back into a minitor with a bite of the product, win the game (w/ a flashy spiking of the ball) and end with a tag with similar transformation animation of the snicker's candy bar. It's all geared toward capturing the audience's attention, then imprinting the product into their minds...

...and in my profession (which is video production), when a commercial does what it's created to do, that's a good commercial, no matter if it's "technically wrong" this, or "the details are bad" that, or even if it's not aesthetically pretty. It still does what it was created to do.

Anyway, if anyone here is wanting to study this commercial a little bit further, I would encourage the frame-by-frame idea of the 720p quicktime version. It's pretty cool.

Later,
ironorr84

koansah
03-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Simply fantastic and amazing!!

I loved watching the advert and the behind the scenes short documentary.

Great work! I was stunned from the first few seconds of the start of the video and reading about how it was done and which software was used was simply great!!

Look forward to doing something similar and being in a talented and creative industry like this.
Well done on anyone who worked on this. Even the runners :) which I'm sure did a great job providing tea and drinks to the crew :)

Bokaja
10-01-2009, 04:39 PM
Great overall look and feel - thanks for the insight.

Good job :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-01-2009, 04:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.