PDA

View Full Version : Funny little weight exercise

LGM
04-23-2008, 04:59 AM
After having been away from animation for about a month, I decided to do this weight exercise as a warm-up to get myself back into the flow . . . and disprove that nagging voice in the back of my head that says "you can't really animate at all."

http://nathandunlap.animadillo.com/movies/WIP/diggingstill_lgm.jpg

http://nathandunlap.animadillo.com/movies/WIP/digplayblast.mov

2.5 megabytes in quicktime format.

Anyways, I'd really appreciate any comments and ideas on it. I'm no longer quite sure if the timing works. Some of it seems a tad slow to me (perhaps because I'm expecting the action) and I'm afraid some of it might be a taste fast. I'd love to know what fresh eyes think.

Thanks a lot,

-Nathan

(Incidentally, this is an actual experience from my construction "day job."):rolleyes:

PowderMonkey
04-24-2008, 02:46 PM
you can't really animate at all!
just jokes! i think it's really quite good.
not too sure about the little wobble while he's carrying the bucket to the wheelbarrow, but what you've absolutely got right is the force and tension showing the weight of the character.

nice work!

LGM
04-25-2008, 01:48 PM
Thanks for your comments and time! Based on some other comments I've received, I've updated the animation slightly. I'll try reducing the wobble a little, but to tell the truth, I kinda like it. When you say you're not too sure about it, would you say it's an artistic choice you don't agree with, or something more technical . . . like distracting the viewer or something along those lines?

Version-2:
http://nathandunlap.animadillo.com/movies/WIP/digplayblast-v2.mov

-Nathan

PowderMonkey
04-25-2008, 02:59 PM
after picking up the bucket, and swinging his left leg around, his next two steps, where the head swings wildly back and forth just seem a little exaggerated to me. i get that he's shifting his weight around the really heavy bucket, so he's moving a lot, and the bucket isn't really moving much at all.

but it just doesn't feel right - it's too much too fast. i just played it at half speed, and it seemed to work a lot better, so maybe slowing down the walk would help a bit? either that or toning it back a little so it isn't quite so far out.

these are just my thoughts, so if you like it as it is, keep it. it says something about the character's personality, and that's important too. :cool:

LGM
04-28-2008, 01:54 PM
Hmm. I see what you mean. I'm prone to "exaggerating the exaggerations" so to speak. I have a tendency to over-do it. I'll try toning it done and see what it looks like. I'll probably like it even better then, no worries.

Thanks again for your time.

-Nathan

disconnected
04-30-2008, 03:36 PM
I think the job you have done with this is very well thought out. Your character, although a bit "twitchy" for lack of better words is perfect in my eyes. I like how you can actually feel the pain from carrying that bucket. Good job and keep up the good talents.

Fritzenberger
05-01-2008, 12:59 AM
Hi,

Nice animation Nathan.

I'm new, so.. grain of salt.

Something is really bugging me about the bucket.

When he's walking I think it should have a more swing to it. I lift weights and I lift some heavy stuff, even though it's heavy it still swings when I shuffle to move around. It feels to me like someone is shooting a tractor beam at the bottom of the bucket from the ground. Just a tad more slooowww swing to it (side to side)

Also, when he back swings to hoist the bucket into the wheelbarrow = nice.. but then when he lifts the bucket up into the wheelbarrow the bucket doesn't swing back the other way.. it just lost it's momentum. It could land on it's edge.. "closest to him" because of the momentum from the swing.. then quickly slam down to rest or something.

Anyways, nice job.

ps. If you could, could you rip my stuff apart? I have recent post here. Thanks.

- Mike

LGM
05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
Friztenberger, grain of salt nothing, I think your comments are spot-on and I've tried to follow them. I think they help smooth out the whole weight issue and make the entire animation more cohesive. Some people said since the bucket was so heavy to lift, it was suddenly to light to put into the wheelbarrow and I think your suggestion fixed that completely. By putting that rocking into the bucket to the animation has captured just the weight I was looking for. Very good eye on catching the lack of swing on the bucket when he drops it in. I hadn't noticed that.

So thanks for you thoughts and time. I've posted what I think of your animations. (Ominous as that sounds I think your work is very nice.)

Oh, and powdermonkey, you're right. He looks a lot better, it's a lot smoother when I lessened the swinging back and forth, but it still captures what I wanted in the beginning. Like I said, I'm prone to over-exaggerating the exaggerated. :p

Here's the latest version:

http://nathandunlap.animadillo.com/movies/WIP/digplayblast-v3.mov

Thanks again, all!

-Nathan

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 02:11 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.