PDA

View Full Version : Portfolio... need feedback please

noisewar
04-20-2002, 08:40 AM
Hi guys, I'm sorta new to this forum but I'm impressed by the community here, very mature and always full of good ideas and suggestions. Anyways, I've recently begun applying to game jobs as either Jr. Environmental Artist or character rigger.

I would like to know what you guys think of my demoreel... I did it without really knowing what kind of demoreels level designers submit because it's hard to find them.

The link to the portfolio is on the frontpage. I'd appreciate any kind of feedback, the more brutal the better =)

http://www.toasterdesign.com/noisewar

The Magic Pen
04-22-2002, 03:53 AM
You need to create real-time models and textures like those seen in games if you want a game job. Or do some cool levels with nice lighting . What you have in there now does not seem very pro looking at the moment . I would suggest joining perhapse a mod community for a quack engine mod , or something like that and get experience creating game models and textures. Your website is not very strieght forward either , you need to simplify it because employeers don't like to have to dig.

:) good luck

noisewar
04-22-2002, 01:12 PM
Hmmm thanks, you're totally right, I should have spent more time on actual low-res models and textures... and yeah the website isn't as clear as it should be. I've been having a difficult time finding a consensus in what is wanted in a game reel.

well thanks for the feedback... back to work fer me =)

Dai
04-22-2002, 10:48 PM
OMG!

IT'S THE DM-EFFLUVIUM GUY!

*remembers the thread on Nali City* *giggle*

:buttrock:

noisewar
04-23-2002, 05:53 AM
LMAO ack dont remind me about that! I got into deep sh*t for telling off all the pro mappers for being such asses.... hahaha

suck
04-23-2002, 06:46 AM
please, please remove all art school "what is art" gibberish from your site asap. that may be fine for your own personal site, but it's not going to help you get a job anywhere.

game art is a product. it is not a tool for your own personal growth, not an expression of your deepest emotions, not "spiritual communication". do yourself a favor and watch the film Ghost World... would you rather be thora birch's character or the chick who puts a tampon in a coffee cup?

i'm not trying to say that the philosophical examination of art is not a worthy pursuit... but let's leave it to the people who have the work to back it up.

bit

noisewar
04-23-2002, 10:39 AM
ouch! well to be fair, that IS my personal webpage firstly. As for the matter of it being gibberish, well that's just opinion and I'm sorry that it stimulated your kind of reaction.

SeanW
04-23-2002, 03:17 PM
I agree with magicpen on critique. I saw your reel and I think it just lacked content. You need more stuff is all I'm saying. And I'm totally in the same boat with you as far as lacking things for the reel. I think seeing more dressed up levels, props and all would help a lot. As far as the personal stuff goes, I dont think that it hurts just as long as the site is really clear for the pearson having to swim through it. I'm just curious if once you enter the industry you stop growing? Not sure if suck is making any point there.

bentllama
04-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Do add more content. But dont go over 3min. You were starting to lose my interest after 1 min.

DO NOT just do game models.

ALWAYS aim for the highest common denominator.

You can dumb down your models later. It is easier to teach an artist to remove polys than to arrange them to make a good model.

Later...

bentllama
04-24-2002, 02:12 PM
SUCK:

Game art is just a product? With an attitude like that I think your handle is not just a clever name.

noisewar
04-26-2002, 02:30 AM
welp, thanks guys sooo much, the feedback was great, I'm gonna take the lessons and learn, thanks again!

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.