PDA

View Full Version : what can i do?

Benedikt
05-13-2003, 09:20 PM
hi!
my problem isnt really a hardware problem but i couldnt find a better forum for my problem as this...

well..
i need a 2d (ps) and a 3d prog (maya), nothing more and i hate windows.
the problem is, that i dont know any other 2d application as photoshop and i think that theres no better one.

i think i will use irix or linux (slackware, mandrake or red hat, at the moment im a win user)

i heared theres a maya-version for irix or linux but is there also a ps version for those os'?

and whats about using an emulator for using photoshop?
is it working stabil and good on this way?

what can i do?

thanks a lot,
Benedikt

SporQ
05-13-2003, 09:25 PM
Well, first of all, what do you not like about windows? Is it something we can help fix, or just cause they are "teh EVAL!"?

Second of all, I've never heard of anybody trying Photoshop in Wine or other emulators. Not sure if it would work, but if so, it would work a lot worse than in native windows.

Third, you could get a mac running OS X. It has photoshop and maya native, and is a *nix core. Of course, you suffer from the overpricing and slow hardware. Not to mention no workstation class vid card (quadro) support.

p.s. Gimp is NOT a photoshop replacement.

Benedikt
05-13-2003, 09:39 PM
k, thanks for your help ;)
i hate win cause i think that its too unstabil and slow. i also think that its made by evils... :hmm:
and i love linux :p
well i already thought about those macs.. but i dont know...
its my dream to have a fast and stabil maya on a good running linux...
2 weeks ago i was 3ds max user (and then i get maya).
Every 2nd minute max crashed down or something happend and so i decidet to take maya.
i think beacause of those 'crash-downs' i hate max and also win...
:p
i also want to have/try something new

thanks,
Benedikt

Ps: i heared that there was an emulator coded only for Photoshop but i have forgotten the name of it :scream:

SporQ
05-13-2003, 09:48 PM
Well, I haven't had a Windows crash in probably 2 years. 2k and XP have been great for me. Don't let Max's instability tarnish your views of Windows as a whole.

I can understand not wanting Windows, and opting for Linux based on political reasons. But, personally, the usability of Windows far outweighs any evils they may do or have done. It's just a tool, and I prefer not to fight with my tools (or at least minimize the amount of fighting :) ).

MadMax
05-13-2003, 10:43 PM
crossover office 2.0 will run Photoshop on Linux with no problems.

It'll feel like you are running it on Windows except that you won't have f the occasional stalling Windows users experience due to lack of decent multitasking.

MadMax
05-13-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by SporQ
I can understand not wanting Windows, and opting for Linux based on political reasons. But, personally, the usability of Windows far outweighs any evils they may do or have done. It's just a tool, and I prefer not to fight with my tools (or at least minimize the amount of fighting :) ).

That is the same argument I use for not using Windows.

Although I generally think of Windows as using a tiny jewelers screwdriver to remove a big 6" lag screw.

Linux just allows more control over what you do.

stephen2002
05-13-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MadMax
Linux just allows more control over what you do.

Yes but that additional control requires additional technical knowledge of your operating system and hardware. If you have it, great, if you don't, it can be a pain to learn.

As for multi-tasking in Windows, I don't see what everybody is constantly complaing about. If you have enough RAM and use the priorites in Task Manger you can render in the background and still have about 95% of the preformance you had before, even on a single-CPU mashine. Obviosly anything you do in the foreground will suck away from the render but you can still do things, including play games, watch DVDs, do Photoshop, fiddle in another 3D program, etc.

dvornik
05-14-2003, 12:01 AM
I'm trying to learn linux now and I think it's a serious learning curve. Win2k is stable enough, if max crashes too often it's your configuration problem.

Besides, "2 weeks ago i was 3ds max user (and then i get maya)" sounds really bad. You can't just get a pirate maya for linux version as easily as you can get it for windows. Unless you live you know where. Sorry if i'm wrong.

MadMax
05-14-2003, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by stephen2002
Yes but that additional control requires additional technical knowledge of your operating system and hardware. If you have it, great, if you don't, it can be a pain to learn.

And this is a problem why? additional capabilities ALWAYS require additional learning. However, you have the choice of not learning the extra controls, and use it much the same way you do windows without all the problems.

As for multi-tasking in Windows, I don't see what everybody is constantly complaing about.

Because it is really easy to bring Windows to it's knees. IT's multitasking capabilites ARE awful. This isn't a new revelation here. A decent Multiasking OS doesn't need you to go and manually tweak it's properties to get it to function as it should.

It's one of windows greatest flaws.

Add to that, there is a lot of Linux in use at big studios these days. Like it or not, Linux is a quite viable platform for 3D these days, and it's not going away.

Lukashi
05-14-2003, 01:27 AM
believe it or not but max and windows are pretty damm stable togheter, at least for me, u might have bad ram if it crashes that much

Benedikt
05-14-2003, 01:18 PM
crossover office 2.0
<<< that's what i was looking for :bounce:
thanks! :)
well i have a gigabyte of ddr-ram...
max itself might be stable, but if you make for example a biped-crowd animation and work with this a bit its crashing down all the time.
thanks,
Benedikt

MattClary
05-14-2003, 03:12 PM
I'd rather spend time learning more about my app of choice than learning Linux. Win 2000 and XP are stable as a rock, but then again, I do those for my day job so I know them like the back of my hand.

MadMax
05-14-2003, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by MattClary
I'd rather spend time learning more about my app of choice than learning Linux.

Linux in no way impedes that.

If you don't have the desire to learn to be a real power user, you don't have to.

Load it and run just like you would with Windows.

A friend decided to migrate to Linux for security reasons, and I had him comfortable with using it in about 20 minutes.

It doesn't require being a rocket scientist to use it or learn it. 90% of the stuff in the GUI are more than familiar to a windows user.

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.