PDA

View Full Version : Large image RENDER CRASHs

jjshebesta
04-22-2008, 01:50 AM
I am attempting to render a 300dpi multipass to photoshop image which is 10,000 X 10,000 pixels. About 10 seperate compositing passes are activated. Problem is C4d keeps crashing mid-render. No global illumination is being utilized, but even if it was I would hope the program would keep churning until it was done.

Has anyone encountered similar problems, or keen on some alternate settings that might alivate issues inherent in rendering large images. The same multipass photoshop document image rendered out at a 10th of the size is rendering fine in about 15 minutes. I was successfull one night with 2 sucessful renders of the same larger dimensions and render settings- so I know the darn thing can do it.

I am running C4d 10 on a quad core Intel Mac and a NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LemonNado
04-22-2008, 02:04 AM
Use the tiled camera and put the tiles back together in PS. With a 3x3 tile setup you can easily achieve that resolution goal you have. The tiled camera is part of the extras (misc) which you can find with the contents browser in the presets. Set it up and render the tiles as frames. Simple but powerful. And stitching 9 tiles together... pfffff... no issue in PS...
Cheers
Rainer

Kuroyume0161
04-22-2008, 02:25 AM
10000x10000x3 = 300MB just for the bitmap being done. I suspect that post effects add to this. How much memory do you have available just before rendering?

suonlim
04-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Have encountered the same problem sometime ago using PC (3D BoXX Quard Core, 64bit Win XP). It could be due to too many passes at such a high res till the softwares can't handle it.

Try to render with lesser passes if possible. OR render it a few times with different passes needed, then find a way to merge them together in Photoshop layers.

In a long run, you may want to run a very simple scene test with basic lights, and see how far the software can handle at such a high res render.

cheers!

I am attempting to render a 300dpi multipass to photoshop image which is 10,000 X 10,000 pixels. About 10 seperate compositing passes are activated. Problem is C4d keeps crashing mid-render. No global illumination is being utilized, but even if it was I would hope the program would keep churning until it was done.

Has anyone encountered similar problems, or keen on some alternate settings that might alivate issues inherent in rendering large images. The same multipass photoshop document image rendered out at a 10th of the size is rendering fine in about 15 minutes. I was successfull one night with 2 sucessful renders of the same larger dimensions and render settings- so I know the darn thing can do it.

jjshebesta
05-01-2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks Lemonado! A tiled camera did the trick. Tucked away in that wonderful Content Browser. A great solution but a b%*$# to stitch back together. Shoulda' bought me Sticher 5.1, it would have saved a lot of work.

God bless these forums for when you're in a spot.

LemonNado
05-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Sticher 5.1

HA.... I have that... but never considered it as a solution for that... Dohhhh.
I'll try that next week!

And yes, this forum is great!
Rainer

tonyg3d
05-01-2008, 11:29 PM
Out of curiosity, i've looked for the 'tiled camera' in the content browser with no joy.
Can anyone be more specific as to where it is please? I think it would be really useful...

Thanks in advance.

Cinema 10.506 - Mac OX 10.411

LemonNado
05-02-2008, 12:46 AM
Content Browser:
Presets->Maxon->Cinema4D->Misc->Tiled Camera

Cheers
Rainer

Martin Kay
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM

It's not an issue of the software not being able to handle it, more a lack of sufficient ram.
It seems cinema will begin rendering a scene or set of layers till it discovers there's not enough ram to complete the job and then give the out of memory window.

Martin K

CGTalk Moderation
05-02-2008, 08:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.