PDA

View Full Version : Jason Ryan Tutorials and Messiah

dborruso
04-21-2008, 06:31 PM
Hello All

You probably have all heard of Jason Ryan tutorials. I am just wondering if anyone plans to use messiah for the tutorials if they are doing them. I guess it wouldn't hurt to have some maya experience under my belt, but I don't want those ugly ple watermarks all over a demo reel though.

Anyway, if you have downloaded the boris movie, what do you think of how his rig looks? I think autorigger does most of that stuff. I have autorigger, the rig may just need a few little adjustments here and there.

It would be cool if ulven got together with jason ryan and rigged boris for messiah. I would pay for it. (hint hint) :)

Well any thoughts about how you folks who will do these tutes with messiah is appreciated.

peksi
04-21-2008, 06:40 PM
I have to say I haven't heard. Googled and searched cgtalk, but didn't find anything about jason ryan and boris. Could you post a link?

edit: ok found jasons site :) but about boris? i suppose its that character he is using on that mov

dborruso
04-21-2008, 06:50 PM
Jason Ryan was a mentor at animation mentor. He left animation mentor due to time constraints as being supervising animator at dreamworks I believe. But he is making his own series of tutorials. The tutorials range in price from begineer to advanced but you can get all of them for 1000 dollars when they are released. He has released several free ramp up tutorials. If you sign up for his newsletter you get access to all his movies. Believe me they are worth it.

Here is his webpage:

http://www.jasonryananimation.com/

This guy is great.

Ejecta
04-21-2008, 07:25 PM
SWEET! Im sooooooo doing his tutorials! I had Jason at AM and I learned so much more from him. Not slagging on the other mentors I had as I learned a ton from those guys too but Jason just pushed me so much and I liked his approach to animating. I think you should be able to do them just fine with Ulven's auto rigger and Messiah.

dborruso
04-21-2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah I think Messiah and autorig will be good for it. Not sure what model I will use though. Maybe build a special one for it.

Will you use messiah too?

My Fault
04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
I'm another AMer who was lucky enough to have had Jason as a mentor, also a beta tester for his new site. I can't say enough good things about Jason and the new site. Super talented guy and a fantastic teacher. Check out the 11 second club forum's Chit Chat section as he has a thread going there and posts quite a bit.

You should have no problem doing Jason's tutorials in messiah. The Boris rig is very fast and well laid out, but so are Ulven's rigs. If you do plan on doing any of the lessons in Maya (and Maya knowledge is always a plus) I'd recommend picking up Boris, but once again, you can easily translate anything he does in Maya to messiah.

Oh yeah, if you haven't already bought a copy of Digicel, do that now. Great program!

dborruso
04-21-2008, 09:08 PM
Hi My fault

Glad you had good experience with Jason Ryan. All I hear are good things about him. Yeah I bought digicel soon as I saw the tutorial on it. I got the lite one though.

Thanks for pointing out the 11 second club thread. I should write him and see if i can buy an obj of boris to rig in messiah with autorigger maybe. I cant export any useful format from ple or i would just send it from there.

KAMAKAZZI
04-23-2008, 04:23 PM
Jason Ryan is awesome---I too am a beta tester for his site. He is one top dogs when it comes to animation.

I am actually working a short and doing rough animations in FlipBook and plan on incorporating the image sequences into Messiah for an animated short.

Also, using ZBrush to create my models, maps and more. Migrating all work into Messiah and Lightwave and definitely plan on making some tutorials off of what I did for the short.

Want to get that "build CG movies from homel" feeling. I really like my pipeline and want to share the knowledge on my approaches to production.

I am working hard on this non-stop and hate that I have to do this kind of work part-time.

Great topic dborruso. Now I have to get back to work...

Take care all,

Cypher

Ejecta
04-24-2008, 02:12 AM
How long until Jason's site goes live? I sent in my email to join the mailing list but still havnt gotten an email with any more info.

KAMAKAZZI
04-24-2008, 02:56 AM
It takes a minute. It took me about 3 to 5 business days--guess you can say. He will reply though so no worries.

Guess you just have to wait a bit...

Hope that helps.

Cypher

dborruso
04-24-2008, 12:12 PM
I don't know how long it takes to get your first newsletter. The last one I got was on the 13th so probably not too much longer. The date of when the site goes live isn't announced in the last newsletter. He showed the boris rig in the last one. Hopefully it all happens soon.

Ejecta
04-24-2008, 02:44 PM
Where can I take a look at this Boris rig?

kungfudork
04-24-2008, 09:01 PM
Jason Ryan Ramp Up tutorials (http://www.screencast.com/users/JasonRyan/folders/Ramp%20Up%20Tutorials)

in his newsletter he states if it ask for a password = JRA, but i've never had it ask.

the latest video is a demo of the boris rig.

KFD

Ulven
04-28-2008, 11:18 AM
After looking at the boris rig, there's nothing in there that can't be done in messiah, but not all of it is in our autorigger. I usually have the ribbon spine type of thing in my custom rigs as well as sometimes the curve based arms and legs. They're quite nice to work with but makes for a slow rig if you have lots of characters on screen. Anyway, the autorigger is a bit simpler than the custom rigs I do. I may update the autorigger at some later point to include these kinds of controls, but I'm quite stretched for time. The autorigger does have 'autostretchy' controls and I'm pretty sure you should still be able to follow Jason's tutorials quite well because more than anything, he's teaching you to animate, not how to use a specific rig.

KAMAKAZZI
04-28-2008, 04:27 PM
I agree with Ulven, the boris rig is nothing Messiah can't do. In fact I think the boris rig is way simple for some of the custom rigs most Messiah users are use to. The principle mostly covered is an animation workflow that is pretty concrete and effective.

I am utilizing Jason's techniques but instead of using Maya, I am using Messiah. This is very similiar to what I did for a fight scene when I filmed actors, created an image sequence then applied the image sequencial assets on a 3D plane for rotoscoping in Messiah. Worked out well and even used some motion from old martial art movies with my video capture card.

Jason Ryan has a wonderful establishment of tutorials so far and I dont see any flaws for the subjects he is covering. Great job----5 stars from my end.

Cypher

Ejecta
04-28-2008, 05:26 PM
Ulven, yeah to be able to bend the limbs and some head and body squash and stretch for some extra polish would be very very nice and if you could work that in to your autorigger, I for one would be willing to pay for an "upgrade version" of the autorigger. I know your time is valuable as is mine and your rigger saves me time which is money so I feel the charge for your time word be worth it to me.

KAMAKAZZI
04-28-2008, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a good idea Eject. I would purchase the upgrade as well, only I get caught up customizing my own rigs so I havent had need for the autorigger.

I will have to purchase the setups just because Ulven made them...

Anyhow, keep us updated on the autorigger when you can. We all understand the busy nature of this business so no worries if we dont hear from you from months to come.

Take care all,

Cypher

Julez4001
07-10-2008, 08:53 PM
I like in Ryan's videos, you can select the fingers in the Maya shelve instead of picking on screen... matter of fact I 've noticed how thigns have gotten a little cluttered in messiah.

I wish messiah would have tear off panels so one could really use the dual monitors setup, that way i can do all my selections in one screen and animate in the other.

Ulven
07-16-2008, 12:55 AM
I can't help with the tear off menus, but you can make an armature that computes the expression SetCurObj(nameofobject), or use AP_SelectObject as a click action. Or write a script that has SetCurObj(nameofobject) and put it in the F5 shelf. In addition you can often easily select items from the list if it's grouped properly. Also you can create proxy objects that define other items' manipulation through expressions with a motionblend expression. So there's a plethora of options if you're having a hard time selecting items in messiah. I often use these kind of selection methods in my rigs if I find that the animators are having a hard time selecting something, but I prefer personally to have direct selection and manipulation in single click/drag actions with armatures. When you see them used over time, they save the most time.

CGTalk Moderation
07-16-2008, 12:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.