PDA

View Full Version : Nick Jenne

randmguy2
04-21-2008, 12:30 AM
Hi, I would like some opinions on my demo reel. I'm a graduate looking for work. I know I need more improvement, but I would like your critiques. Thanks.

Nick Jenne

http://nickjenne.com/video/nickJenneReel.html

aesir
04-21-2008, 05:16 AM
hi nick, I watched your reel, and while youre a step above many new graduates, I think you still need a bit more work before you're going to easily get a job. Not to say its impossible right now, but it'll be a bit tough I'd think.

I feel like when you animate, especially with the first two scenes in your reel, that your characters are just constantly moving around from one position to another without ever stopping. This constant motion is extremely disorienting and while I'm watching, I can't tell whats really going on. I'm sure if you acted these scenes out yourself, then you'd understand quite a bit better how far off your characters are from believeable acting. Lots of your facial expressions appear for a split second, and I dont even know why.

Phredrek
04-22-2008, 12:57 PM
only the first scene loaded for me, the car driving and stopping. the video stopped there for me. The car seems to giggle all over the place with no specific direction, seems to be pretty random where you decided to animate the parts moving. The momentum is going forward, so have the parts continue to move forward then come back and settle. not every which way then settle.

that's all I saw so that's all I'll comment on :P
keep working on it! looks like a crazy rig!

Phredrek
04-22-2008, 01:04 PM
ah just saw the whole thing, ya aesir is right, you have too many poses going on throughout your reel. That guy with the coffee cup, i'd take away half his poses and hold on the important ones. so move hold, move hold, move hold, etc...

With the high voltage one, why is he climbing the fence if he knows it's high voltage? again with this one he's moving too much, I know that he's getting electrocuted (kinda), but i'd put him into a strong crazy pose, hold, then quickly to another one, hold, etc...

That gargoyle thing needs more arcs when he's flying around, he's a cool looking character that seems pretty powerful, i'd show more smooth big arcs and swooping rather than quick bursts of flight. Maybe check out clips of that old 90s cartoon "Gargoyles" for some reference.

Just work on one thing at a time and post your progress. Your bits can look really good once they're done

randmguy2
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
Thank you much. That was helpful. The high voltage one was suppose to be a bank robber getting away and he is in so much of a hurry he doesn't see the sign. Now, I didn't go to the trouble of putting a mask over his head or him holding some kind of bag full of money. I will take more into consideration this time and really plan these animations out. I'll keep you all posted.

CGTalk Moderation
04-23-2008, 07:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.