PDA

View Full Version : painter essentials verses painter

CrimsonCross
04-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Is it really worth making the jump all the way to painter or is essentials all you really need. I don't really need very many brushes or a great many filters if any at all. So can I get away with using essentials or is painter just allot faster and more stable? I thought maybe people here would help me decide between the two. :banghead:

rylandir
04-23-2008, 09:13 PM
I actually have Painter Essentials and am seriously considering making the jump to Painter X. I'm finding that I don't have some of the layer property items that all the tutorials I read refer to (such as Multiply, Linear Burn, etc) as well as some of the options (like 'Just Add Water').

I've found Essentials to be nice, easy, casual, but I seem to have reach some limits with it at this point.

Jinbrown
04-24-2008, 03:18 AM
Is it really worth making the jump all the way to painter or is essentials all you really need. I don't really need very many brushes or a great many filters if any at all. So can I get away with using essentials or is painter just allot faster and more stable? I thought maybe people here would help me decide between the two. :banghead:

Whether you make the decision to buy Painter X or not will depend on how you want to use the program.

Painter Essentials (any version) or any previous "lite" version of Painter, is a very limited version compared to any full Painter version including all full Painter versions I've used, from Painter 4.0 through Painter X.1.

If you want full capabilities provided in Corel Painter software, you'll need to buy a full Painter version. Otherwise, you'll miss a great deal. One major feature you'll miss is the ability to fully control how your brush variants work and to be able to create your own custom brush variants using all of the brush controls available in Painter X or any previous full Painter version.

Again, the choice is up to you, but I'd strongly suggest downloading the free 30 day trial version of Painter X and spending as much time during those 30 days as you can manage, learning what Corel Painter X offers.

#

CrimsonCross
04-28-2008, 12:08 AM
Thats the problem I am having now. I unfortunately have already used my 30days of painter. The thing is that I wanted to try it out awhile ago before I acquired a tablet or even really had gotten a handle on digi-painting yet. Since I had a mouse I really couldn't control the software and didn't get much use out of the 30days. Now that I have a tablet and have more experience painting I really would like to try it out and see if it is something that I would like to get into.

Right now I am using essentials 3 and was wondering if I should upgrade to 4 or just get the current painter. I am using photoshop now but I found that a great deal of its features actually end up getting in my way when I am painting. On top of that I really enjoy working in essentials 3 but it lacks a great deal of selection or color correction and balancing tools that I could make use of.

evanfotis
04-30-2008, 07:15 PM
Is it true that on Painter essential one cannot edit the gradients like from fg to bg?

chillie
05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
No, you cannot edit the gradients in Painter Essentials. If you have questions about Painter Essentials, there is a Corel sponsered forum located here:

http://essentialscafe.com/

CGTalk Moderation
05-01-2008, 07:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.