PDA

View Full Version : Want a Polymesh to flow & behave like a Hair

muraliveera
04-19-2008, 04:22 AM
hi,

i am trying to make a mesh move like a Maya Hair.
I have a male model where the hairs are done in polygon meshes( 5parts of hair flowing from head to little down the shoulder) .
I want these meshes to move and behave like a hair.
The shot is a Underwater shot.

i have tried doing in n-cloth and got some result. But not satisfying

If anyone can help me plz.

john_homer
04-20-2008, 07:44 AM
i have tried doing in n-cloth and got some result. But not satisfying.

nCloth would be a good solution.
what was not satisfying about your results?
Why not post your results and settings and hopefully people will give you feedback and suggestions to get you more satisfying results.

you should be able to get an underwater look by playing with drag, damp, scene scale, air density etc...

.j

muraliveera
04-20-2008, 02:58 PM
hi john,
First of all Thank u for ur reply,

actually i have finished one set of sequence(using n-cloth) and the director liked it to some extent.
The movement of the mesh hair is good.
But there are lots of sequence to come. Basically they want the mesh hair to behave more like a maya(flowing) hair.
But in n-cloth am getting more penetration b/w hairs and the body and the movements are not as good as maya hair.

about posting my result, i cannot do it as there is no internet facility in my office and am not supposed to take the files out.

thanks

phildog
04-21-2008, 06:02 AM
can those hair curves be used as a wrap deformer for each relative hair mesh?
or better yet, extrude some geometry off that curve.

FloydBishop
04-21-2008, 10:12 PM
You might also try using a joint chain with spline IK, with the spline being turned to a dynamic curve.

It would be helpful to know just what look you are going for, and what type of mesh you hope to deform.

john_homer
04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
But in n-cloth am getting more penetration b/w hairs and the body and the movements are not as good as maya hair.

i understand your issue with posting, sure makes it hard...

you should have a look at your quality settings for better collisions, both in the nCloth node (collision flags, max self collision itterations) and the nucleus node (substeps, max collision itterations) you should be able to get much better collisions with nCloth than maya hair...
you may also need "trapped check"....

as far as the behaviour, I cant suggest much more than my original post with out seeing it so i guess I would just advise playing with settings..

good luck

.j

muraliveera
04-22-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi,

Phildog ( i will surely try the wrap deformer that u av told me)

FloydBishop ( i will also try the idea of Spline IK, )

John_homer ( the things u have told me , i have done all the quality settings , iterations and subsets. these are the things that are helping me to some extent.) and am getting some good results.

Am even trying the syflex(cloth) , got some good results.

Really thank u guys for taking time .
u guys are gr8.
will post after finishing the work.

yenvalmar
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
somebody already suggested extruding, almost right, but i think they didnt quite understand your situation. the guy doesnt want all the hair modelled he wants to drive big poly chunks that presumably have alpha mapped textures, with hair dynamics.

so. just make dynamic hair curves and loft them to create your geometry. this can be mapped or whatever u need to do. i do this quite frequently, works great.

if you alreeady have the geo modelled how you want, make the surface live and create your curves from the existing geo, then just delete the old geo and make new geo by lofting the curves once you make them dynamic. done.

due to mayas construction history the geometry will automatically be "deformed by the curves", in fact the geometry is created from the deforming curves instead. this is very elegant and runs fast because you arent using any deformers, deformers suck and are slow and screw up all the time. in this rig everything is 100% driven by the hair dynamics curves, which is much faster, and the hair dynamics is hard ennough to tweak without stupid deformers messing up also.

speaking of hair dynamics screwing up of course you can and probably should add further rigging to over ride the dynamics etc if you really want to have fun.. in which case rigging gets more complex.

the important part is to create the geometry from whatever the final animated curve you want the motion to be from. typically in my hair rigs the dynamic curve can be blended with a manually posed curve to fix parts where it screws up, since it almostt always screws up someplace. so the geometry is lofted from a third curve that can blend shape between tthe dynamic and non dynamic curves as needed.

this is also a big help if you need to make looping hair animations which im guessing you might. you can over ride the simulation to a manually set pose which may be very dynamic looking, not the default pose at the beginning and end. for using hair in game art creation this is a big help with runs, jumps and such where the hair is never really in a normal static pose.

CGTalk Moderation
04-26-2008, 12:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.